Author Topic: Interactive Map of Botched Paramilitary Police Raids  (Read 35881 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Interactive Map of Botched Paramilitary Police Raids
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
I find this interesting and I am not "cop bashing".  The title is the Cato Institute's own title.  If you select the criteria from the boxes below and hit the submit button it will display the various incidents in a summary form and cite sources.
http://www.cato.org/raidmap/#

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

taurusowner

Re: Interactive Map of Botched Paramilitary Police Raids
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
When are they rolling out the "medical malpractice map" or the "mechanics who overcharge but don't fix your car problem" map? Maybe a "postal carrier who delivers to the wrong house" map or a "road crews who only work a few hours a day" map? I can't wait. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
When any of those people have .gov permission to kick in your door in the middle of the night and kill you if you resist?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
i fear the irs much more
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »
i fear the irs much more

Well yes, the IRS has .gov permission to kick in your door in the middle of the night and kill you if you resist.  (Or more accurately, have some one else do it)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
IRS has their own SWAT team, actually. Just like the Dept of Education...  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
believe me i know.  i am what they call an uncooperative taxpayer.
or sometimes as an aggressive one,  depends who you ask

i figure i'll know i went too far if the door comes down.  but they can hurt you just as bad with seizing assets
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
When any of those people have .gov permission to kick in your door in the middle of the night and kill you if you resist?

Don't forget shoot the dog. Fido is the ring leader, appearantly.

In all seriousness, this is the inevitable result when society tasks LEO's with enforcing morality, simultaneously loosening restriction because results are expected.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
believe me i know.  i am what they call an uncooperative taxpayer.
or sometimes as an aggressive one,  depends who you ask

i figure i'll know i went too far if the door comes down.  but they can hurt you just as bad with seizing assets

Now from your stories, I would have bet money that you'd been shot before.

Having BTDT, I'd rather they siezed assets then shot me. YMMV

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
i tried to not get hit  been stabbed and shot at but worst i ever got was concrete and glass fragments.  there are indeed special angels that look after fools and drunks.

since i abandoned better living through modern chemistry i stopped getting arrested and folks stopped trying to hurt me, purely coincidentally

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »
i tried to not get hit  been stabbed and shot at but worst i ever got was concrete and glass fragments.  there are indeed special angels that look after fools and drunks.

since i abandoned better living through modern chemistry i stopped getting arrested and folks stopped trying to hurt me, purely coincidentally

Correlation =\= Causation.
 :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
Only one incident shown for MT, and it was a few years ago. (in Missoula)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Correlation =\= Causation.
 :P

generally i'd agree in this case i think i can pitch thats its causation pretty well.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
Yet the same police, same assets can't protect a man and his son from a mob of hundreds invading their property.

And as far as other professions,  I agree with the above statements. By all means, post a list of all the mechanics or doctors who have kicked in doors of the wrong address with .gov permission.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »
Yet the same police, same assets can't won't protect a man and his son from a mob of hundreds invading their property.

FTFY
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
California - 38
Florida - 25
New York - 40
Texas - 27

???

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
California - 38
Florida - 25
New York - 40
Texas - 27

???

Are you pointing out that conservative states like TX and FL are surprising to be in the top abusers?

I'm not.

Whether conservative or liberal... it's Authoritarian Statists that like to use no-knocks rather than proper police work.

Plenty of conservative Statists, just like liberal Statists.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Are you pointing out that conservative states like TX and FL are surprising to be in the top abusers?

I'm not.

Whether conservative or liberal... it's Authoritarian Statists that like to use no-knocks rather than proper police work.

Amen.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »

I'm not.

I couldn't agree more.

The biggest difference between these states is gun laws (ok one of em). I think he was indicating the folly of going all SWAT like in a neighborhood of "gun-toting rednecks."

no offense intended towards the residents of these places, elitists in large cities look at us flyover residents like that regardless of the individual circumstances.

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
Broad stroke painting is my favorite kind of art.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:22 PM »
Let me ask here because it seems people are switching between two different ideas.  Are we talking about people who have the power to wrong you/others or people who have actually wronged you/others?

If we're talking about just having the power to wrong you, I need to ask, do you disagree with the concept of police?  Do you think police should not have the authority they have been given by you through your governments?  Any other gun owner legal or otherwise has just as much ability to wrong you, and likely will do so more than any cop.

Yet since, we're looking at a map of actual incidents, it seems we're talking about people who have actually wronged you/others.  Yet I bet that most of you have been wronged by an auto mechanic, and probably will in the future FAR more than you will ever be wronged by a police officer.

I ask about actual incidents and you deflect with a comment about what authority a group is given.  I ask about the authority of that group and you deflect with comments about incidents.  Pick one and make your opinions plain.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
If we're talking about just having the power to wrong you, I need to ask, do you disagree with the concept of police?

We have far too many laws and far too many police.

Do you think police should not have the authority they have been given by you through your governments?

Certainly not the authority to bust down doors of residences except in a critical situation (hostage rescue, for example).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
Let me ask here because it seems people are switching between two different ideas.  Are we talking about people who have the power to wrong you/others or people who have actually wronged you/others?

Good parsing.

If we're talking about just having the power to wrong you, I need to ask, do you disagree with the concept of police?  Do you think police should not have the authority they have been given by you through your governments?  Any other gun owner legal or otherwise has just as much ability to wrong you, and likely will do so more than any cop.

I do not object to LEOs, but LEOs ought to have the same authority as ordinary citizens and the reverse ought to be true.  I am not one for special classes of citizens.

You are incorrect about how any gun owner has as much ability to harm me.  LEOs have a much greater ability to harm any random citizen.  I could go into details, but do I really need to?  This one is pretty obvious.

Yet since, we're looking at a map of actual incidents, it seems we're talking about people who have actually wronged you/others.  Yet I bet that most of you have been wronged by an auto mechanic, and probably will in the future FAR more than you will ever be wronged by a police officer.

This is likely correct.  The gravity of harm, however, must be taken into account.  My favorite excoriated former SecDef posited a sort of mathematical formula that consisted of probability * gravity to rate a threat. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
What is the point of this map?  Is it to show that we shouldn't have police capable of raiding violent criminals?  To resonate with our anti-police or anti-government fears?

What if the Brady group came up with a map showing every accidental firearms injury occurred over the years?  Would anyone here think a map like that was a compelling reason to eliminate private firearms ownership?  Heck no, we'd all be pointing out the logical fallacy of using unfortunate but inevitable human errors as a basis for condemning an otherwise useful and necessary aspect of life.

As long as humans are fallible there will be accidents involving private firearms and accidents involving police.  The fact remains that both police and RKBA are good and proper things.  And it concerns me to see graphical presentations such as this one that seem designed to appeal to emotion more so than to reason.

Let us be careful not to misuse this tool (or allow it to be misused) in this manner.

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »
its one of the sage/seer balko's sales tools