Author Topic: This could be bad... Congresswoman shot in head  (Read 42897 times)

Phyphor

• friend
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: This could be bad... Congresswoman shot in head
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
Local news is reporting between 5-10 others injured as well.  There are some reports that the congresswoman was shot point blank in the head.  She has been med-evaced.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
I'm going to hell for this, but right now I'm really hoping it's not someone who can be pinned on the right.

If it's an unmistakably lefty nut-job, the news cycle on this will be predictably downplayed and much, much shorter.
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
I'm going to hell for this, but right now I'm really hoping it's not someone who can be pinned on the right.

If it's an unmistakably lefty nut-job, the news cycle on this will be predictably downplayed and much, much shorter.

She's a Democrat, but one that votes with the R's on a lot of issues.  (Including the recent immigration bill that has caused so much hoopla.) 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
Looks like 4 dead, 7 seriously injured at this time.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Giffords has discussed her gun ownership and support for gun rights [14] opposing the DC gun ban and signing an Amicus curiae brief with the US Supreme Court to support overturing it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabby_Giffords
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »
 :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
My entire paycheck on its a left-tard.  If it were someone that could be loosely connected to the right or tea party, we would already be hearing about it.

Either way.  The gun grabbers are going to use this for a long time, and the Obamanator will use is as traction under "protect our elected reps" to test to waters for restrictions or bans on firearms.

CNN is reporting that she has died.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:43:31 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
Dang. That is truely sad. :'(

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
I just want to put my plug in that this thread remain respectful and polite. People have died. I just looked at comment posts at both the Huffington Post and Fox, and I don't want to see comments here get anywhere close to the disgusting comments I was reading on those sites.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
I just want to put my plug in that this thread remain respectful and polite. People have died. I just looked at comment posts at both the Huffington Post and Fox, and I don't want to see comments here get anywhere close to the disgusting comments I was reading on those sites.

Very much in agreement here.  Thanks for the lead.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
Given that the shooter unloaded on the whole crowd I'd not be surprised to learn this was gang-related, and that the Congresswoman was simply "collateral damage."
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
my guess would be garden variety nut  there are many out there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Iain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
My entire paycheck on its a left-tard.  If it were someone that could be loosely connected to the right or tea party, we would already be hearing about it.

And why is that?

Looking at the Wiki link she's pro-gun and immigration reform, but she's also pro-choice, voted for increased federal funding for embryo reseach.

And there is this:

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is targeting 20 House Democrats who voted for the nation's new health care law and who represent districts that Sen. John McCain carried in the 2008 presidential election.

In a website launched on Thursday, the six-month anniversary of the health care law, Palin puts a bull's-eye on 20 House districts under a headline that reads, "We've diagnosed the problem…Help us prescribe the solution."

Included among Palin's Democratic targets: North Dakota's at-large Rep. Earl Pomeroy, Southeast Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Virginia Rep. Tom Perriello.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2010/09/palin-targets-health-care-law-supporters-on-site/1

But I'm not jumping to any wild conclusions
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
Yep, the folks at the Huf Post are all but saying its political, and pointing towards right wing.  Reports that suspect is mid 20's, white. 

Our new Speaker issued this statement:

Speaker of the House John Boehner issued the following statement about today's shooting:

“I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff. An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country."
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
Looking at the Wiki link she's pro-gun and immigration reform

Thats why.

of course, I could be wrong.  I just remember the enviroweenie that went rambo at the Discovery channel, remember, we didnt hear that much about it once it was reported.

Abraham Lincoln

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »
Giffords was enviro-weenie enough to have picked up an endorsement from the Sierra Club, so I'd suggest all options are open right now.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »
Giffords was enviro-weenie enough to have picked up an endorsement from the Sierra Club, so I'd suggest all options are open right now.

Wasnt suggesting Giffords was an enviroweenie.  I was trying relate that if we have a lack of reporting on the shooter, it just might mean its not news worthy because it wasnt a right wing fringe nut job.  Sorry I confused you

Abraham Lincoln

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
Wasn't confused, was just running with the term enviro-weenie as her alternative energy views are another potential motive. Whoever did this, you're going to hear a lot about them and their motive.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
I sure hope we hear about who did it and why. It's a sad day. My prayers go out to all that have been touched by this.

I just dont trust the news. Sure we will hear something, how in depth the reporting is another matter.

Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
Wasn't confused, was just running with the term enviro-weenie as her alternative energy views are another potential motive. Whoever did this, you're going to hear a lot about them and their motive.

Iain:

Only if the perpetrator is on the right or can be painted so.  If they are from the left, it will be dropped relatively quickly.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Iain

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Yessss, a congresswoman has apparently been pretty much executed by a man walked up to her. This is the biggest news story since the BP spill, but don't let that get in the way of a good bit of paranoia.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
Yessss, a congresswoman has apparently been pretty much executed by a man walked up to her. This is the biggest news story since the BP spill, but don't let that get in the way of a good bit of paranoia.

It isn't paranoia when it actually happens. 

Heck, it doesn;t have to even be a right-winger to be so labeled.  They fellow who shot the muslim cabdriver was called a TEA partier & right winger until it was determined he was a lefty nutjob.  Then, it was dropped PDQ.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton