Author Topic: Cops and ticketing quotas  (Read 30735 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Cops and ticketing quotas
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
Is this what is adding to the rise of what I call "predatory" law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zGeZiWOeGIc

Link is to a Reason TV program about a cop who was fired for refusing to meet quotas in Auburn AL

comes with a Radley Balko alert

Keep the cop bashing on the DL (mods...do as you see fit)

I am not posting this just because of what happened to me. I understand the thin blue line. But revenue generation and predatory law enforcement pisses me off.

Is a possible solution this maybe taking questionable tickets to jury trial (and hopefully a sympathetic jury)?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Cops and ticketing quotas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »

Is a possible solution this maybe taking questionable tickets to jury trial (and hopefully a sympathetic jury)?

I'm not channeling CSD here or anything, but I think the best solution is to drive the speed limit.  But that revolves around my whole notion of starving Leviathan.

It'd be VERY interesting (in a chinese sense) to see what law changes come down the way, if traffic enforcement revenues dropped because people drove more conservatively.  Because they (of "they-them-those" fame) would do anything to preserve that revenue, even if they start giving 10 year olds tickets for riding the playground slide backwards.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »

Can you take a traffic citation to a jury trial?  It was my understanding that you can't do that most places for a civil infraction.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
Can you take a traffic citation to a jury trial?  It was my understanding that you can't do that most places for a civil infraction.

You can in SC. I don't know if it counts as a civil or criminal infraction.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
I'm not channeling CSD here or anything, but I think the best solution is to drive the speed limit.  But that revolves around my whole notion of starving Leviathan.

You are no fun at all sir

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
If enough people don't break the law the change the law so you do.

But really, most traffic laws are written so broadly that cops can pull anyone over for anything at any time wioth no more than the ususal amount of perjury.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
Is this what is adding to the rise of what I call "predatory" law enforcement?

A cop from my village was fired about a decade ago for not meeting quotas showing up late for work twice.
He publicly stated that "his purpose as a police officer is to patrol neighborhoods, not to hand out tickets on the freeway at the edge of town."

On the other end of the spectrum, there was another cop in my village who got special training from the DOT for inspecting semi trucks. He pulled over every semi truck that came through our village, spent 1/2 hour inspecting the rigs for violations (there is going to be some sort of violation on just about every truck out there, whether its brake linings 0.010" too thin or low wiper washer fluid, a loose dirt clod on a lowboy carrying an excavator, etc), writing hundreds-sometimes thousands of dollars in fines for each operator, and disrupting commerce in general (except of course the commerce that involved towing/repairing rigs).  The people of our village got sick of it pretty quick when contractors or delivery trucks would add a large 'police' surcharge to all deliveries to or work being done in our village.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:18:32 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
Can you take a traffic citation to a jury trial?  It was my understanding that you can't do that most places for a civil infraction.
In TX, I've served as a juror a couple of times in traffic court - each time, it was made clear that these traffic offenses were considered criminal infractions, and the persons had a constitutional right to a trial by jury.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
In TX, I've served as a juror a couple of times in traffic court - each time, it was made clear that these traffic offenses were considered criminal infractions, and the persons had a constitutional right to a trial by jury.

I think its the same here...
The last time my wife got a speeding ticket, she went to her court date instead of just paying the fine.
They gave her three options:
1. Pay the fine as-is, and get a few points on her license.
2. Plea bargain to a broken speedometer, pay a fine that was $50 or so higher but no points on her license.
3. Trial at a later date.

They make the fines cheap enough that no sane person unless independently wealthy, retired with a lot of free time, or is trying to make a point is going to go to trial.

It works almost the same way for parking tickets- at least in Milwaukee- a private contractor with incentives to write as many tickets as possible, writes tickets even when a person is parked legally. The person can pay it or appeal it, but appealing it is pointless, they are never overturned. Its simply a shakedown of people who park their cars on the streets.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: Cops and ticketing quotas
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
I am taking an issue to court whenever i get a date. Speeding. I'll let you know how it turns out.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
I am taking an issue to court whenever i get a date. Speeding. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Same one I know about, or another one?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Same one I know about, or another one?

Same one. Still waiting on a court date

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
If enough people don't break the law the change the law so you do.

But really, most traffic laws are written so broadly that cops can pull anyone over for anything at any time wioth no more than the ususal amount of perjury.

Both of these.

Traffic tickets are nothing more than an irregularly levied roadway use tax.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

Traffic tickets are nothing more than an irregularly levied roadway use tax.

Another one of my pet peeves--using a high-usage yet perfectly safe roadway as a revenue generation device.

If the city wants to make money off their road--fine. But don't send gun thugs out to do it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Another one of my pet peeves--using a high-usage yet perfectly safe roadway as a revenue generation device.

If the city wants to make money off their road--fine. But don't send gun thugs out to do it.

Drive the speed limit and obey all traffic laws, no reason to get a ticket then. Argue otherwise, you are a law breaking criminal.  :rofl:

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
Drive the speed limit and obey all traffic laws, no reason to get a ticket then. Argue otherwise, you are a law breaking criminal.  :rofl:

It's virtually impossible to obey all traffic laws, if someone is looking for a reason to pull you over.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
It's virtually impossible to obey all traffic laws, if someone is looking for a reason to pull you over.

Did you give them a reason?

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »

Both Jocassee and I gave him a reason (in his mind at least).

I mailed my extortion to the courthouse, once I finally returned back to AZ.
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Both Jocassee and I gave him a reason (in his mind at least).

I mailed my extortion to the courthouse, once I finally returned back to AZ.

Were both of you exceeding the posted speed limit when you were pulled over?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

In a lot of small towns that fund through tickets/asset forfeiture, "He ain't from 'round here" is all the reason that's needed. In Medina (super rich neighborhood in Bellevue where Bill Gates lives) driving while poor is a valid reason. In a lot of affluent white communities driving while black is a reason. Etc etc

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »

Your point is not wrong, but in the best of libertarian traditions I'm going to stand on the point that cops should emphasize policing crimes and areas that have, you know, actual victims.

As a purely practical matter, my city has a large and growing gang, drug trafficking, and violent crime problem. We do not have a crushing Lunch Rush Traffic problem. Or an underage drinking problem (another set of laws they waste taxpayer money setting up stings to "fight.")

So when I see cops stacking up on the most-traveled section of freeway in the city which is normally quite safe, if running 10 over, I know that they are not doing the work they should be doing.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
Were both of you exceeding the posted speed limit when you were pulled over?

I dunno.  I wasn't looking at the speedometer, I was trying to keep up with my tour guide.   ;)
--Lysander Spooner

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »

All I have is the cop's word. I was watching the road and being a safe driver.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
All I have is the cop's word. I was watching the road and being a safe driver.

True, dat.  No radar.  Just a spitballed guess on the cop's part.
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Cops and ticketing quotas
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »

And yet i've driven just over 400 k miles without a ticket.
Am i that lucky?

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I