Author Topic: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done  (Read 25506 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:11 AM »
The new "edgier" Hamburglar. Plus I just saw on Fox Business that they're putting kale on the menu. If I want kale, I'll go to Whole Foods and buy it. If I'm in a hurry for fast food, I want a mediocre, greasy burger, greasy fries, and a coke that are gonna have the same "meh" but edible taste at whichever franchise I get them.

Go back to your roots McDonalds, or you're gonna be done. Once you make things too complicated, I'm just gonna take the time to stop and eat inside at the better and more expensive place across the street.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Edgy? looks like a hipster metrosexual going to a costume party as a 60's Batman Joker henchman.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
I think you're right.

The problem McDonald's has is if they unabashedly go back to the "Tasty stuff that's bad for you! Honeybadger! YEARRRGH!"-model that smaller chains like Hardee's/Carl's Jr., Five Guys etc. are using as their niche, as the biggest player (for now) McDonald's will take all the heat too, which is more than they're already taking over the issue, compounded by the "living wage" $15/minimum wage idiocy sweeping the country right now.

Of course, no matter how many salads or granola they sell, no one will ever take them seriously as a healthy option either.

So all that remains of McDonald's business core is the people driving through because it's convenient. Busy parents with a minivan full of brats they know will behave even worse if they're hungry, all the while feeling a twinge of guilt and hopelessness as they do it... "McDonald's? Meh. I guess... Whatever."
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »
I'd be happy if Mcdonald's got my drivethrough order correct more than 50% of the time, maybe they should focus on that?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
They're over thinking the problem by catering to a minority.

Make a half decent burger, cook your fries in beef fat like you used to, speed it up, and get orders right. Its a simple formula, and it works fine. Stop dicking with it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »

Make a half decent burger, cook your fries in beef fat like you used to, speed it up, and get orders right. Its a simple formula, and it works fine. Stop dicking with it.

Exactly. I realize I'm guilty of posting more than my share of McDonalds related topics, but the above does hit the nail on the head. I suspect what might happen, if they choose to go back to their roots, is that McDonalds locations will close. They keep saying they want to cater to the hip kids, but the hip kids in places like NYC won't eat there no matter what. People who go to Chiptole won't generally go to McDonalds. If they want a burger, they'll go to their local brewpub.

McDonalds going back to their roots will do best in Suburbs, catering to the mom with the van full of kids AJ mentions, and at freeway offramps and rest stops where they'll get the travelers. Also I suspect much of flyover country. For some reason the corporation seems to be focusing on  the urban market. And not just the general urban market, because they do seem to be popular with inner city minorities, but to the gentrified urban market, which seems to me to be a very low percentage of the overall population.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
If their menu becomes harder to understand than Panera Bread I'm going to Panera.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
I think McDonalds would do a lot better if they didn't have terrible food served by surly staff in a dirty restaurant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »
I think McDonalds would do a lot better if they didn't have terrible food served by surly staff in a dirty restaurant.

So, IOW, if they were In-N-Out?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
So, IOW, if they were In-N-Out?

Huh?

In-N-Out chow is lousy and costs an arm & a leg.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »
Exactly. I realize I'm guilty of posting more than my share of McDonalds related topics, but the above does hit the nail on the head. I suspect what might happen, if they choose to go back to their roots, is that McDonalds locations will close. They keep saying they want to cater to the hip kids, but the hip kids in places like NYC won't eat there no matter what. People who go to Chiptole won't generally go to McDonalds. If they want a burger, they'll go to their local brewpub.

McDonalds going back to their roots will do best in Suburbs, catering to the mom with the van full of kids AJ mentions, and at freeway offramps and rest stops where they'll get the travelers. Also I suspect much of flyover country. For some reason the corporation seems to be focusing on  the urban market. And not just the general urban market, because they do seem to be popular with inner city minorities, but to the gentrified urban market, which seems to me to be a very low percentage of the overall population.
Agreed.  They do seem to be going after the wrong market.  I assume it is a bunch of upper management people that don't even eat there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »
Huh?

In-N-Out chow is lousy and costs an arm & a leg.

What?

A Double Double and cheesburger costs me five bucks and is head and shoulders above most other fast food burger joints, including the McD's $8 double quarter pounder value meal. Maybe the franchises in TX just suck. In-N-Out was started in CA, and all the franchises here are sparkling clean, use good, fresh, ingredients, and have staff on par with Chick Fil-a.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
What?

A Double Double and cheesburger costs me five bucks and is head and shoulders above most other fast food burger joints, including the McD's $8 double quarter pounder value meal. Maybe the franchises in TX just suck. In-N-Out was started in CA, and all the franchises here are sparkling clean, use good, fresh, ingredients, and have staff on par with Chick Fil-a.

Two points:
1. The burgers suck.
2. The fries suck.

At least McD has good fries.  And the McD $0.99 breakfast burrito is OK at $0.99.  That is about it for the McD's menu.

I had heard great things about IOB, but the reality is really underwhelming.  If these are supposed to be good burgers, California must have the worst burger selection in the USA.

Heck, Whataburger's fries are better.  And Whatburger's burgers are so much better it is no contest. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
Two points:
1. The burgers suck.
2. The fries suck.

At least McD has good fries.  And the McD $0.99 breakfast burrito is OK at $0.99.  That is about it for the McD's menu.

I had heard great things about IOB, but the reality is really underwhelming.  If these are supposed to be good burgers, California must have the worst burger selection in the USA.

Heck, Whataburger's fries are better.  And Whatburger's burgers are so much better it is no contest. 

Have a nice day anyway!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
McD's needs to go back and just do burgers and breakfast, quit trying to be everything for everyone, that is what Jack-in-the-Box if for.  If I want a cheap and quick taco or burrito I'm going to Taco Bell, or whatever chain is where I am. 

I've gotten to the point I don't even go to McD's.  Kids say they want that I say go to it, I'm going to get a good burger or something else altogether.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »
Maybe the franchises in TX just suck. In-N-Out was started in CA, and all the franchises here are sparkling clean, use good, fresh, ingredients, and have staff on par with Chick Fil-a.

I've been to a couple in FW and one in Dallas, and they were clean, well staffed, polite and the food tasted like food.  Not as fast as McD's, but they were a lot more crowded, too.  (And they also had a much larger seating area than a typical McD's.  At a guess, I would say around 3x the total seating.)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
that is what Jack-in-the-Box if for.

Fast food taste and service at diner speed and price?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »
Fast food taste and service at diner speed and price?

Last time I was in one I was lucky if it came out that fast, plus the food sucked, won't go back.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
I've been boycotting Jack In The Box since they killed a kid or two in the PNW with undercooked e.coli burgers.  The part that pissed me off was the CEO's arrogance after it happened (don't remember the details) 

I really used to like their cheap tacos, and they have some new pricier stuff on the menu that looks pretty good now... but I'm not going to try it.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
RoadKingLarry's Fast food rating system
Based on a 0- 5 hurl scale. 0 hurls is good, five hurls is bad.

McDonalds          [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
Burger King        [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
Jack in the Box   [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
Carls Jr.             [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
Wendy's             [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]  [barf]
Taco Bell            [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
Arby's                 [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
What-a-burger      [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
Just don't mess with my once a month #5 Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit meal with small coffee and no one gets hurt  [ar15]
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »

Mickey D's fries are just fine the way they make 'em now. Much better than Burger King's.

Service is where McD's has fallen flat on its corporate face. If I walk into a Burger King, there's a person at a register, ready to take an order. If they're busy, they'll have all two registers up and running. The order goes in, somebody assembles it in the kitchen, and there's another counter person to put it in the bag or on a tray for the customer. Done.

I walk into a McDonald's (any McDonald's in my area) and there's a line of four registers, one of which is nominally open, and more often than not the person logged onto the single open register is making a sundae or a Mocha Frappe Latte or something while the customers line up and get angrier and angrier because there's nobody to take an order for a simple hamburger and fries.

And +eleventy on the order accuracy. They're awful.

And then there's the issue of discontinuing the stuff people want to eat. Like the Honey-Mustard snack wrap. That was one of my go-to items when I had to eat at McDonalds. Now? Gone the way of the Dodo bird.

What the hell is kale, anyway?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »
It's too bad you fellers don't know what McD's fries really tasted like when they used real sliced potatoes and fried them in lard.  The burgers were actually from dead cows and had a lot of fat in the meat and cooked on a griddle in their own grease from the fat.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »
It's too bad you fellers don't know what McD's fries really tasted like when they used real sliced potatoes and fried them in lard. 

You're not he only old-timer around these parts! :P  =D

I thought it wasn't that many years ago that the vegans killed the fries? Like around 2000 or so. I remember a distinctly different taste. They still make some of the best fries despite no lard and their other failures, but yeah, the old fries were the best.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »
You're not he only old-timer around these parts! :P  =D

I thought it wasn't that many years ago that the vegans killed the fries? Like around 2000 or so. I remember a distinctly different taste. They still make some of the best fries despite no lard and their other failures, but yeah, the old fries were the best.

I worked at McD's 93-95. The fryer oil was 100% vegetable oil, but I think the fries had beef tallow on them from the Canadian fry plant. They were sliced from potatoes, but parboiled/blanched at the manufacturer.

Burgers were 100% beef, but had a high fat content.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536