Author Topic: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done  (Read 25503 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »
I worked at McD's 93-95. The fryer oil was 100% vegetable oil, but I think the fries had beef tallow on them from the Canadian fry plant.

Ah, I think that's what the vegan's beef with the fries was.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 11:13:45 PM »

I think you are correct, I do remember something about beef tallow being the source of the kvetching.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:58 PM »

It wasn't vegans, Hindus had an issue with it.  IIRC of course. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:49 PM »
It wasn't vegans, Hindus had an issue with it.  IIRC of course. 

Well somebody who hated delicious, delicious beef by-products anyways.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 01:21:17 AM »
That new hamburglar looks annoying and creepy. Big fail. If they're going to bring back the Hamburglar, they should actually bring back the Hamburglar. The Hamburglar is a larcenous little kid, who just can't get enough burgers. This new hamburglar is old enough, he should get a job, and just wait in line and pay for his hamburgers like everyone else.

As for the kale and stuff, I think some are over-reacting a bit. They'll put this stuff on the menu, and three people will order it, and the rest of us will continue to get our Paunchburgers and Krusty-Partially-Gelatinated-Non-Dairy-Gum-Based-Beverages.

Oh, and if you want a good burger at Jacknthebox, order a Big Cheeseburger, cheese only.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 05:21:09 AM »
I worked at McD's 93-95. The fryer oil was 100% vegetable oil, but I think the fries had beef tallow on them from the Canadian fry plant. They were sliced from potatoes, but parboiled/blanched at the manufacturer.

Burgers were 100% beef, but had a high fat content.

I thought JR Simplot supplied fries to McDs. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplot
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 06:16:15 AM »
It's too bad you fellers don't know what McD's fries really tasted like when they used real sliced potatoes and fried them in lard.  The burgers were actually from dead cows and had a lot of fat in the meat and cooked on a griddle in their own grease from the fat.

Mate, I got my driver's license about the time the first McDonald's opened in my home state. I know what the fries tasted like. Not really much different than they taste today. I don't know of any other chain whose fries taste as good as, let alone better than, McDonald's.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 06:18:21 AM »
Oh, and if you want a good burger at Jacknthebox, order a Big Cheeseburger, cheese only.

If you're going to hold the burger, why not just order a grilled cheese sandwich?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »
I worked for McD's when the McDLT came out and that was a big deal for them.  Now it seems like they and everyone else is coming up with something "new" every other day.

Quit trying to please all of the people all of the time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »
MickyD's stopped using beef tallow in is friers in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Before that they had used a tallow and vegetable oil blend.

Some years ago they got into a big stink when it came out that they were putting some sort of beef extract on the fries during manufacture as a way of boosting the flavor. Vegans and Hindus didn't like that, and there were a bunch of lawsuits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »
MickyD's stopped using beef tallow in is friers in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Before that they had used a tallow and vegetable oil blend.

Some years ago they got into a big stink when it came out that they were putting some sort of beef extract on the fries during manufacture as a way of boosting the flavor. Vegans and Hindus didn't like that, and there were a bunch of lawsuits.
Obvious question is why would a vegan go to MD in the first place?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »

Because they have friends and family that aren't vegan/vegetarian and are willing to eat at places like McDonalds if they have vegetarian options.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »

They hadn't filled their daily quota of "offended" and/or "faux outrage" yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:36 AM »
I thought JR Simplot supplied fries to McDs. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplot

All the fry boxes said made in Canada on them, I see Simplot has branches in Canada.

I believe McD's used made in Canada fries because of their restaurants in Canada and some of the products had to be produced domestically in Canada.

Uranus is a gas giant.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
Because they have friends and family that aren't vegan/vegetarian and are willing to eat at places like McDonalds if they have vegetarian options.

Chris
So brown bag it. Don't change the whole restaurant to suit you. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
So brown bag it. Don't change the whole restaurant to suit you. 

The only people who changed the whole restaurant was McDonalds themselves.  They did it because they either saw a profit in doing so or they realized what they were doing was a bit disingenuous vis a vis the animal products in an otherwise vegetable-based product.

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »
The only people who changed the whole restaurant was McDonalds themselves.  They did it because they either saw a profit in doing so or they realized what they were doing was a bit disingenuous vis a vis the animal products in an otherwise vegetable-based product.

Chris

Or option 3, they did it so the squeaky wheel would STFU.

Lot's of stuff get ' s done in corporate America so people will take their lawyers and STFU.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »
1.  McDonald's fries really aren't that great.  I think it is your imagination and comparing them to fries that suck like Burger King.  They are just like most fast food places.  They are great when hot out of the fryer, but suck when they are cold.  IMO, Popeye's fries are pretty good.  So are some others, when hot.  Most of us, if honest, could find a dozen local burger joints within 100 miles that are better.  

2.  On order accuracy, I think most people would do better if they just freaking ordered burgers all the way or plain.  Everyone wants to subtract this or that and add the other.  The assembly line, minimum wage workers have trouble keeping up?  Go figure.    They take too long?  Wonder why?  It gets much worse when they start having 57 different value meals with 389 different topping combinations each.  This is fast food.  Stop expecting it to be a 4 star restaurant.  

2a.  I think many fast food places would do better by letting you top your own burgers like Fudruckers, or putting the toppings on the side like the old McDLT.  Having to build your own wouldn't be fast food I guess.  

3.  I agree on the service issue.  Even when minimum wage was much lower, it was a problem.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

Chris
I just always thought it was odd that a burger joint would cater to vegetarians at all. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
Mickey D's fries are just fine the way they make 'em now. Much better than Burger King's.

Service is where McD's has fallen flat on its corporate face. If I walk into a Burger King, there's a person at a register, ready to take an order. If they're busy, they'll have all two registers up and running. The order goes in, somebody assembles it in the kitchen, and there's another counter person to put it in the bag or on a tray for the customer. Done.

I walk into a McDonald's (any McDonald's in my area) and there's a line of four registers, one of which is nominally open, and more often than not the person logged onto the single open register is making a sundae or a Mocha Frappe Latte or something while the customers line up and get angrier and angrier because there's nobody to take an order for a simple hamburger and fries.

And +eleventy on the order accuracy. They're awful.

And then there's the issue of discontinuing the stuff people want to eat. Like the Honey-Mustard snack wrap. That was one of my go-to items when I had to eat at McDonalds. Now? Gone the way of the Dodo bird.

What the hell is kale, anyway?
I worked at a McDonald's for a few months in high school.  We were usually busier being on an interstate highway.  The managers used to give you crap at the end of every shift if your average order time was over 30 seconds.  It didn't matter if it was one person or a family of 5.  They expected you to get all the orders and drinks and make change in that time.  No, there was no one to help fill the order either.  This was when min wage was $3.35 per hour.  I left after 3 months and glad of it.  They tended to underpay and treat staff like crap.  The owners showed up every now and then and scream at everyone.  

I see other places like Popeye's that has someone taking orders and someone filling orders.  That does keep things moving better.  They have a simpler menu also.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »

2.  On order accuracy, I think most people would do better if they just freaking ordered burgers all the way or plain.  Everyone wants to subtract this or that and add the other.  The assembly line, minimum wage workers have trouble keeping up?  Go figure.    They take too long?  Wonder why?  It gets much worse when they start having 57 different value meals with 389 different topping combinations each.  This is fast food.  Stop expecting it to be a 4 star restaurant.  

IMO, joints like McDonalds, BK, etc. shouldn't even do the special order burgers. The whole point of going to them, vs a better place, is getting in and getting out. Don't want something on your burger? Take it off yourself. A guy I knew used to always do a special order with the rationale that it would get him a "fresh" burger vs one that was sitting under the heat lamp.

Part of the problem with McD level places is, I think, training, incentivizing, and the actual assembly line. At McDs, you have one person both taking orders and taking money. I can sometimes see why I get a regular coke instead of diet when I'm paying and the cashier is both counting my money and taking an order at the same time (especially a custom order).

Places like In N Out, Five Guys, etc. can do efficient and fast "custom orders" because of how they make their burgers, as well as the infrastructure of the assembly line. At In N Out, you have one person taking carside orders and another at the cashier booth. Both of them verbally confirm your order (as does the person at the pickup window, before they hand you your food).

They also seem to be able to incentivize their employees. It always impresses me that when at the cashier booth at In N Out, if the line is such that the cashier doesn't have cashier duties, I see them jump up and do other work until the line moves forward. These are almost always High School kids, and I find their motivation impressive. At McDonalds, the cashier just sits and waits until the next person pulls up.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »
McDonalds showed up in my neighborhood around 1959 or 60.  Fries were a dime and a burger was 15 cents.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »
McDonalds showed up in my neighborhood around 1959 or 60.  Fries were a dime and a burger was 15 cents.

Okay, I take it back - you are the only old-timer posting in this thread.  =D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
I just always thought it was odd that a burger joint would cater to vegetarians at all. 

Diverse groups of people like to eat together.  Especially when it's a quick stop to grab a bite to eat while out.  I'm sure my vegetarian friend would prefer to eat elsewhere, but when she's the lone non-carnivore, she's willing to make do with just fries and a drink.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Diverse groups of people like to eat together.  Especially when it's a quick stop to grab a bite to eat while out.  I'm sure my vegetarian friend would prefer to eat elsewhere, but when she's the lone non-carnivore, she's willing to make do with just fries and a drink.

Chris

AYUP

Uranus is a gas giant.