Author Topic: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done  (Read 25501 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
Diverse groups of people like to eat together.  Especially when it's a quick stop to grab a bite to eat while out.  I'm sure my vegetarian friend would prefer to eat elsewhere, but when she's the lone non-carnivore, she's willing to make do with just fries and a drink.

Chris

McDonalds has salads now, so who cares about fries?

Don't want something on your burger? Take it off yourself.

I'm more than willing to do that when it comes to something like a tomato slice - easily removed. Ketchup (or melted cheese) is bit messier, and you can't get all of it.

Besides, wouldn't any fast food joint that refuses special orders lose business to those that will?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:01:02 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »

I'm more than willing to do that when it comes to something like a tomato slice - easily removed. Ketchup (or melted cheese) is bit messier, and you can't get all of it.

Besides, wouldn't any fast food joint that refuses special orders lose business to those that will?

Eh, likely. You special orderers just bug me at the drive-thru part of McDs. I get along with you fine at the "make it after you order it" places.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
The ones that kill me are a family with a bunch of kids that let each kid customize their burger.  Little Jimmy wants onions but no pickles.  Susie gets pickles but no onions.  Johnny doesn't like ketchup.  And so on.  Takes forever to order.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
2a.  I think many fast food places would do better by letting you top your own burgers like Fudruckers..

I would imagine those things get pretty septic, especially half-way through a lunch rush. Besides, it would be at least twice as bad as jockeying for your preferred nozzle at the self-serve soda fountain.

We had a couple of quick-service burger places around here that have tried them. One place gave up on the concept, and I'm not sure about the other one.

Since McDonalds, et al, already have ketchup and mustard packets, they could perhaps just let people add those themselves.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »

Same with their finely chopped demon testicles onions.

Of course, it wouldn't be an issue if there weren't so many people idiotically convinced that the skunk of the root world is edible.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
The ones that kill me are a family with a bunch of kids that let each kid customize their burger.  Little Jimmy wants onions but no pickles.  Susie gets pickles but no onions.  Johnny doesn't like ketchup.  And so on.  Takes forever to order.

My parents never allowed that, either you take as it comes off the menu or you go without. Probably a good thing because I like food pretty much as it comes when dining out. Wife on the other hand... I did ask my mother in law if she swatted my wife much as a child last year on Mother's Day, she said not enough.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
2.  On order accuracy, I think most people would do better if they just freaking ordered burgers all the way or plain.  Everyone wants to subtract this or that and add the other.  The assembly line, minimum wage workers have trouble keeping up?  Go figure.

No, I'm talking about basic, straight-off-the-menu items. Like the time I ordered two grilled honey-mustard snack wraps (when they were still a menu item) and found when I reached my table that they had miraculously morphed into two crispy ranch snack wraps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »
1.  McDonald's fries really aren't that great.  I think it is your imagination and comparing them to fries that suck like Burger King.  They are just like most fast food places.  They are great when hot out of the fryer, but suck when they are cold.  IMO, Popeye's fries are pretty good.  So are some others, when hot.  Most of us, if honest, could find a dozen local burger joints within 100 miles that are better. 

2.  On order accuracy, I think most people would do better if they just freaking ordered burgers all the way or plain.  Everyone wants to subtract this or that and add the other.  The assembly line, minimum wage workers have trouble keeping up?  Go figure.    They take too long?  Wonder why?  It gets much worse when they start having 57 different value meals with 389 different topping combinations each.  This is fast food.  Stop expecting it to be a 4 star restaurant. 

2a.  I think many fast food places would do better by letting you top your own burgers like Fudruckers, or putting the toppings on the side like the old McDLT.  Having to build your own wouldn't be fast food I guess. 

3.  I agree on the service issue.  Even when minimum wage was much lower, it was a problem.
On point to, often it's just that that they are morons. I got a chicken sammich at McDonalds. I didn't ask for anything special. When I got home and pulled it out....there was no chicken on the chicken sammich. When you can't be bothered to put the chicken on the chicken sammich you aren't confused, you're a worthless moron.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »

I also see this at potluck-type events, with small children. Mom or Dad has to ask Jimmy and Susie exactly what they want, and it's often a struggle just to keep the kids' attention. I don't remember whether or not they did this sort of thing when I was little. I suspect not. I think they just loaded our plates with whatever they thought we should eat, until we got old enough to navigate the buffet on our own.

But I could be wrong.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
^^^My kids grew up with me quoting this from Caddyshack at restaurants and such like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6l1QljpMo

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2015, 11:32:50 PM »
The very worst I ever saw was what was probably the new girl working at a daycare.  10 or so ~4 year olds at a subway each ordering their own sandwich during the lunch hour.  I saw what was going on, turned around and went somewhere else.  Epic chaos.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
McDonalds showed up in my neighborhood around 1959 or 60.  Fries were a dime and a burger was 15 cents.

I remember those prices.  Going to McDonalds on 122nd Ave. in Portland was a night out for our family back then.  My siblings and I thought it was something special.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2015, 09:00:35 AM »
I remember those prices.  Going to McDonalds on 122nd Ave. in Portland was a night out for our family back then.  My siblings and I thought it was something special.

It was a good night, when Dad would take us through the McD's drive-through for ice cream cones. I remember when the price went up from 15 cents to 17.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Grampster
McDonalds showed up in my neighborhood around 1959 or 60.  Fries were a dime and a burger was 15 cents.
I remember those prices.  Going to McDonalds on 122nd Ave. in Portland was a night out for our family back then.  My siblings and I thought it was something special.

McDonald's radio ad slogan when I was in high school was "Forty-five cents for a three-course meal? Sounds to me like that's a steal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAT McDonald's."

The "three-course meal" was a burger, fries, and small shake.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
My sister lets her herd (all ten of them) not only order as they wish, she aids and abets the chaos by by going through the "Would like? Well, what about?" routine with... each... and... every.... child..... and...... food....... option. Mealtime with them makes you understand what being on the Titanic probably felt like.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

I think the furthest back I can remember is the 25 cent hamburger. I'm sure I had some at the cheaper prices when I was a wee lad and we went through the drive-thru on the weekly "family Sunday drive". The other popular place during the days of the Sunday drive was the Foster's Freeze for ice cream cones.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
My sister lets her herd (all ten of them) not only order as they wish, she aids and abets the chaos by by going through the "Would like? Well, what about?" routine with... each... and... every.... child..... and...... food....... option. Mealtime with them makes you understand what being on the Titanic probably felt like.

Brad

Oh hell *expletive deleted*ing no...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »

Brad

I fear being behind that would damage my calm.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
I fear being behind that would damage my calm.

Yes. Yes it does.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
I think the furthest back I can remember is the 25 cent hamburger. I'm sure I had some at the cheaper prices when I was a wee lad and we went through the drive-thru on the weekly "family Sunday drive". The other popular place during the days of the Sunday drive was the Foster's Freeze for ice cream cones.

Cheapest regular prices I remember is .45 hamburgers and .55 cheeseburgers. I recall $1.20 Big Macs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »

Brad

When did this start happening? As a kid in that situation I don't remember being given much of a choice. Hamburger or cheeseburger was about it. In a sit down restaurant I was allowed to peruse the kid menu but if I didn't choose quickly the decision was made for me.

With my own kids they had to tell us what they wanted before we went into the fast food place. That way we could put the order in while they had a seat. Fortunately for one of them it was chicken nuggets or strips every time so that was easy. And, surprise, we still do it this way even though they are both capable of doing it themselves. We find it still saves time and hassle.

For drive-thrus we sorted it out before we got into the lane. And only the driver spoke during the order giving. No shouting from the back seat, no adding on. The only exception was if the orderer forgot something.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
Obvious question is why would a vegan go to MD in the first place?

FWIW McD's is popular in India, obviously not supposed to have beef on the menu though. I ate in one in India. The fries were like here in the US. The veggie burger actually wasn't terrible. Had a decent texture and flavor though it obviously wasn't a beef patty.

On the other hand one of the best steaks I ever had was in India, but it involved a lot of whispering when they offered it to me at the 5 star restaurant in a hotel catering to westerners.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2015, 05:45:39 PM »
FWIW McD's is popular in India, obviously not supposed to have beef on the menu though. I ate in one in India. The fries were like here in the US. The veggie burger actually wasn't terrible. Had a decent texture and flavor though it obviously wasn't a beef patty.

On the other hand one of the best steaks I ever had was in India, but it involved a lot of whispering when they offered it to me at the 5 star restaurant in a hotel catering to westerners.

You do realize the cow that steak was cut from was somebody's relative right?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »

You do realize the cow that steak was cut from was somebody's relative right?

That isn't really what Hindus believe ...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
McDonalds showed up in my neighborhood around 1959 or 60.  Fries were a dime and a burger was 15 cents.

I remember the commercials where you could fries, a burger and a drink and get change back for a dollar.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams