Author Topic: This is THE Seal clubbing thread  (Read 22962 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
This is THE Seal clubbing thread
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:00:33 AM »
At Mike's request, here is the place to discuss seal clubbing.

I think my views on the needs for limits on pinniped expansion into the moderne dating scene have been stated well elsewhere,
but I am always game for running a walrus up the flagpole and seeing who will salute it.

so...

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: This is THE Seal clubbing thread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:01:54 AM »
Seal clubbing: the new extreme sport.  I like it.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:29 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:42 AM »
Oh lord... talk about unintended consequences...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:17:23 AM »
What.... the...  Huh?Huh?Huh??

MIKE, WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »
Close this thread, please.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:18:27 AM »
I'm not much for joining clubs, but ...

What club for seals Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 05:20:52 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »
OK...

I am NOT going to close this thread....

Now.

I WILL close this thread if someone posts a picture of a bloody, dead seal, or decides to push the envelope with what kind of seal pictures can be posted.

I may well also suspend the person who posts a picture of a bloody, dead seal or the aforementioned envelope pushing picture.

The seal pictures that have been posted so far are fine.

Fair warning.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:29:21 AM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:47 AM »

Len Budney

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:43 AM »
What's with the bucket references?
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 06:02:15 AM »
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:06:52 AM »

where iz mah bukket?
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/the_walrus_buck.html

The Walrus Bucket Internet Meme, Seriously

Posted by David DeJean, May 29, 2007 04:59 PM

The Internet has become so important to society that its role in the transmission of memes may be the crucial fact of our age. Therefore it is absolutely vital to one's position in the social order to understand and be current with Internet memes. Don't you think? Which is why you should pay a great deal of very careful attention to the Walrus Bucket Saga. Because if you don't know about it, you'll be out of it.

A "meme" is defined as a unit of cultural information, an idea or a cultural practice, that is transmitted by repletion from one mind to another, analogous to the transmission of genes. The word was coined by Richard Dawkins, a British biologist, and first used in his 1976 book, The Selfish Gene, which suggested that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do. This does a great deal to explain how I caught the Walrus Bucket Saga from a young woman in a bar last weekend in Louisville, KY, and brought it back with me to Boston, and I am now spreading it to others -- including, of course, you.

There is, of course, nothing to explain about the The Walrus Bucket Saga. You either get it or you don't, and either way it's as ridiculous as other cultural memes like dancing computer-graphics babies and the substitution of "ph" for "f" in the brand names of clothing sold to well-to-do white children trying to convince themselves they are leading a poor black lifestyle.

We could discuss whether the bucket has Freudian significance or the walrus is a Jungian archetype. Or whether it's even a walrus at all. But that would all be a waste of time and energy. The Walrus Bucket Saga simply is.

In fact, What I found most interesting is the absolute snail's pace at which the Walrus Bucket Saga has made its trip to infecting my consciousness. The original photo and caption were apparently posted on Jan. 14 (in a blog called "I Can Has Cheezburger?. It didn't make Digg until March 29 and StumbleUpon.com until April 9. And I first heard of it shortly after 7 p.m. Friday, May 25. In this Internet age of instant communication that's like the equivalent of a couple of Ice Ages.

But that means you've still got a chance. The Walrus Bucket pictures have been gathered up on the The Walrus Bucket Saga Web site (which will make it much easier for the people who will someday do their Ph.D. theses on it) and you could be the person in your office who discovers the Walrus Bucket Saga. Think what that could do for your reputation!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:01:34 AM »
I've been wondering a while.
How do you pronounce 'meme'?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Clubbing baby seals is WRONG!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:06:51 AM »
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »
like gene,  meem

a meme is the conceptual base element of a mental construct

a viral meme spreads its mental payload through out society until one day your gramma says:
"That Barry Bonds is certainly full of win"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme#Debating_the_.22meme.22_meme

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »
After reading this thread I think my brain has melted and is oozing out my ears...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 08:21:17 AM »
After reading this thread I think my brain has melted and is oozing out my ears...

Brad

Cool! Someone get some crackers!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 08:24:06 AM »
well Brad,

2+2 does equal 5
for very large orders of 2

You must learn to stop worrying and love the bomb!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 08:31:45 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 08:35:33 AM »
You know, this thread is stupid, it's a waste of bandwidth, and it's making me laugh my stinking butt off!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
well Brad,

2+2 does equal 5
for very large orders of 2

You must learn to stop worrying and love the bomb!

We need better smilies to convey my response to  the above.

I got a strange look from my boss one cubicle over from my poorly suppressed "funeral laugh" that it elicited.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »
half cat- half walrus

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536