Author Topic: Omar is Getting Filthy Rich  (Read 1559 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Omar is Getting Filthy Rich
« on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
With everything else going on, this has been somewhat under the radar, but I've been following it the past few weeks. As of now, Omar has funneled over $1 million dollars to her husband via her 2020 campaign funds, and the year is not over.

Between this and all the other smarmy *expletive deleted*it she does, she has to be one of the most corrupt members of congress. Not to mention most hypocritical members. And she's new. Imagine how much corrupt stuff she would do if she were in as long as Biden.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan-omars-payments-to-husbands-firm-hit-1-million-in-2020-cycle
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Omar is Getting Filthy Rich
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »
she has to be one of the most corrupt members of congress.
I doubt it.  She's just not as adept at concealing her malfeasance as the folks who have been there for thirty years.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 05:16:41 PM »
That's how it works in the swamp. Then we pay them a big taxpayer funded pension and healthcare the rest of their lives.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »
Is this the husband she used to fraudulently get in the country, the brother/husband, or then new one?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
Is this the husband she used to fraudulently get in the country, the brother/husband, or then new one?

This is the new one. Her campaign manager or PR person or something? Which I guess is how they're funneling the dough.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
This is the new one. Her campaign manager or PR person or something? Which I guess is how they're funneling the dough.

1:25-1:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8GUJP-Z4Q&feature=youtu.be&t=85
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
That's how it works in the swamp. Then we pay them a big taxpayer funded pension and healthcare the rest of their lives.

This must change.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:45:48 PM »
He has a campaign consulting company.  Most of their business is with the Omar campaign.  So most of the campaign money goes straight into their pockets. 

I figure most of the federally elected politicians have arrangements like this and that is just the surface level stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 08:57:26 PM »
This must change.

Stop electing incumbents and it may change.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »

I don't like having to pay the lifetime benefits, but I'd be willing to let them keep getting them if we could make a trade for two term limits.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »
I don't like having to pay the lifetime benefits, but I'd be willing to let them keep getting them if we could make a trade for two term limits.

Two terms for senators is 12 years. That's plenty. For representatives, two terms is just four years. I'd be willing to let representatives have 3 terms.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:10 AM »

That presumes our elections are legitimate.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 07:06:29 AM »

Nah.  All government employees should have to have a minimum of 20 years of service before being eligible for retirement benefits.  And there should be a limit of 12 years as a Representative, or Senator, therefore if they want to get 20 years in, they will have to switch jobs at least once.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
I think they should be putting their retirement into a 401K or .gov equivalent...what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  When they are done, no more benefits, find a job like everybody else. Senator limited to 2 terms and Rep limited to 3 terms and they cannot run/serve in the opposite house chamber.

ETA:  Oh and all bills apply to them as well and no automatic pay raises.

ETA: chamber instead of house.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:13:03 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 12:58:02 PM »
What adively said.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
I think they should be putting their retirement into a 401K or .gov equivalent...

AFAIK, they already get to invest in the gov TSP. I don't know if matching is different for them or not, or if they have other perks like being able to continue to invest in it after leaving gov service (which run of the mill feds cannot do).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
Ben said,

"I don't like having to pay the lifetime benefits, but I'd be willing to let them keep getting them if we could make a trade for two term limits."

Tempting, but only as a final fallback compromise, not as an initial proposal.  The initial proposal has to be a lot tougher than that.

Hasn't your observation of liberal negotiating/compromise techniques over the decades taught you anything?

Propose the extreme, allow negotiation to whittle things down to the result you originally intended and hoped for.  Win-win.

Besides, a skilled political artist can probably figure out how to defeat term limits anyway.  Look at Bloomberg, who got three terms as Mayor of NYC despite the two-term limit by conveniently switching parties.

Loopholes abound.

And, Terry added, tongue-in-cheek, law training for public office should be a disqualifier, not a qualifier.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
Term limits are not a be all and end all, I'll remind the class.  Russia has term limits on their president.  How's that going for them?

A more effective solution is real and lasting consequences for malfeasance in office.  In a just world it would be easier to convict a federal official for corruption and illegal acts than a regular citizen.  As it is we have stories like this where graft, corruption , and cronyisim are only the most thinly veiled, if they bother to hide them at all.  The issue is not the length of time we allow elected officials to stay, the issue is the officials that we elect.

Until we figure out how to elect honorable people and hold them to real standards of honor, as well as how to get rid of criminals, any talk of reform is mental masturbation.  You'd just get another crop of "The Lessor Evil" in.