Author Topic: Secretary of the Interior  (Read 1088 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Secretary of the Interior
« on: December 17, 2020, 03:41:57 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Secretary of the Interior
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »
As for individuals doing fun stuff on BLM land, don't comply.  Does BLM have a well staffed and brave law enforcement branch? 

It's more likely to affect everyone when no oil pipeline or [useful] energy production happens on US land for the next four years.  Gas should be back to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon soon.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
.  Gas should be back to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon soon.

And all the blame will be put on the greedy oil companies who will need to be put under govt control
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »
As for individuals doing fun stuff on BLM land, don't comply.  Does BLM have a well staffed and brave law enforcement branch? 

It's more likely to affect everyone when no oil pipeline or [useful] energy production happens on US land for the next four years.  Gas should be back to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon soon.

In some areas? Yes. I have BLM land directly across the street from me that is popular with hunters. Idaho DFG is cross-deputized, and I see them there a lot. Other areas? Sure there's a lot of BLM places out West where you'd be surprised to see anyone at all in a day. Still, I shouldn't have to break the law to shoot or ATV or whatever on BLM land. It's the one place where DOI can screw with stuff I like to do for fun. The National Parks are already locked down to fun, so whatever she does there will barely be noticed.

I do agree with you on oil and other uses. In fact I should probably buy some more British Petroleum stock.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »
And all the blame will be put on the greedy oil companies who will need to be put under govt control

The U.S. will return to being an oil importer, further miring us in the Middle East.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »
"Breaking the law" is not the deterrent to me it once was.

There's a Heinlein quote somewhere I think...

ETA:  Ah yes, from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress:

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:22:07 PM »
"Breaking the law" is not the deterrent to me it once was.

There's a Heinlein quote somewhere I think...

Well, I agree with this too. Elsewhere I posted that as an armchair warrior, I have three steps to take as I approach "the line":

1) Lay low and make the best of things where I can.
2) Go ahead and break unreasonable laws (taxes and environmental are example).
3) Pick up a rifle.

While I still mostly do #1,  I find myself doing #2 a lot more and not worrying a whole lot about it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
I wonder if the Biden Department of the Interior will dust off Clinton's "Roadless Initiative," in which they made huge tracts of public land "roadless" (and thereby not accessible to much of anyone) by simply erasing existing roads from maps. This led to the roads not being maintained, which resulted in erosion and pollution of watersheds and streams with runoff.

Idjits.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/roadless-initiative-draws-fire/

Multiple recreational users argue that the areas in question are not actually roadless, as they have 4-wheel and snowmobile-accessible paths. Forest Service representatives did not disagree that the definition of “roadless,” with regard to the Tahoe National Forest, is vague.

“I would acknowledge too, that many of the roadless areas are not roadless,” said presenter Larry Gruver, a Forest Engineer out of Nevada City. “Point in fact there are trails and roads in them.” He said the current definition of road used by the Forest Service is a treadway over 50 inches wide.

Supervisor Dardick also responded to concerns raised about the economic impact that roadless designation may have on the region. While opponents to the measure said they believe that roadless designation will be devastating to the economy because it will limit businesses that provide motorized recreation, Dardick said the forests need to be protected in order to foster the tourist industry.

Translation (.gov-speak): In order to promote tourism, we have to prohibit the tourists from touring the areas they come here to go to.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
I was at the gas station today, I am going to try to get a pic of the prices weekly between now and when we once again become dependent on foreign oil sources.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »
I wonder if the Biden Department of the Interior will dust off Clinton's "Roadless Initiative," in which they made huge tracts of public land "roadless" (and thereby not accessible to much of anyone) by simply erasing existing roads from maps. This led to the roads not being maintained, which resulted in erosion and pollution of watersheds and streams with runoff.

Idjits.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/roadless-initiative-draws-fire/

Translation (.gov-speak): In order to promote tourism, we have to prohibit the tourists from touring the areas they come here to go to.

What it actually means is that only the right tourists are welcome.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »

What it actually means is that only the right tourists are welcome.

And more buses full of Chinese to *expletive deleted*it up the place!

I go out of my way to visit during the crappy months and they're still a plague.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.