Author Topic: Are Congressional Democrats getting fed up with AOC?  (Read 1176 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Are Congressional Democrats getting fed up with AOC?
« on: December 18, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem-steering-committee-bucks-aoc-picks-other-new-york-lawmaker-committee

The House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee on Thursday voted to seat Rep. Kathleen Rice on a coveted committee over her New York colleague Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in the latest example of House Democrats bucking the firebrand who represents Brooklyn and Queens.

With five open slots on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., nominated four people and left the fifth spot open for members to choose between the two New Yorkers in a vote, Politico first reported. Fox News confirmed that Rice decisively won the vote 46-13.

It is possible that the media are reading more into the decision than there is.  Between the two, Rice is clearly the more accomplished (former Nassau County D.A. vs. former bartender).

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Are Congressional Democrats getting fed up with AOC?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »
She's a useful idiot. While the dems by and large don't trust AOC with certain positions they do find her useful in distracting the right from time to time. IMHO
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
Friend of mine is friends with a fairly recently departed staffer for our local Congressman...

Remember, this is third hand, but it jives with some other stuff that's coming out...

The indications are that the squad has a small group of fairly core supporters, but by and large they're pissing off a LOT more of the caucus than they're winning over, including people who are a lot more influential and a lot more powerful, but who don't get all of the sparkly press. They're looking to put them on a VERY short chain.

That explosion by Virginia's Abby Spanberger last month was apparently the public tip of a very deep iceberg.

Personally, I hope to hell that they try to muzzle them, but fail miserably, because I want to see Spanberger's predictions come true.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:53:31 PM »
Friend of mine is friends with a fairly recently departed staffer for our local Congressman...

Remember, this is third hand, but it jives with some other stuff that's coming out...

The indications are that the squad has a small group of fairly core supporters, but by and large they're pissing off a LOT more of the caucus than they're winning over, including people who are a lot more influential and a lot more powerful, but who don't get all of the sparkly press. They're looking to put them on a VERY short chain.

That explosion by Virginia's Abby Spanberger last month was apparently the public tip of a very deep iceberg.

Personally, I hope to hell that they try to muzzle them, but fail miserably, because I want to see Spanberger's predictions come true.

As I have heard some Dem congressman say, the squad can have a following of a million people on Twitter, but they each still only get one vote in Congress. The "between the lines" thing that I got out of it was that they may be popular with their social media following, but Congress is getting tired of four junior people acting like they run the show.

I really don't want to see them muzzled. The more dumb crap they say, the better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
I figure they are useful for raising money from far left supporters which is why they are tolerated.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
Word around work is that there is a growing division in the Dem party, between AOC and the progressives and the traditional Dems (Pelosi and Co.).  The progressives see Pelosi, Schumer, and the old school Dems as old, too centrist, and in need of replacement.  The Old School Dems see AOC and her Crew as young trouble makers who only serve to bring young votes to the Dem party.  There are quiet whispers of the Progressives splitting off to create their own party.  Doubtful, but fun to think about the infighting either way.

(Fixed a typo)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:05:25 PM by T.O.M. »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
Word around word is that there is a growing division in the Dem party, between AOC and the progressives and the traditional Dems (Pelosi and Co.).  The progressives see Pelosi, Schumer, and the old school Dems as old, too centrist, and in need of replacement.  The Old School Dems see AOC and her Crew as young trouble makers who only serve to bring young votes to the Dem party.  There are quiet whispers of the Progressives splitting off to create their own party.  Doubtful, but fun to think about the infighting either way.

I would love to see the communists progressives splinter off into a separate party. I have long believed that this country needs a third party, but I haven't wanted to see it happen if it would be drawn primarily from Republican ranks. That would only result in two small, ineffective parties against the Democrat monolith. If the third party is split off from the Democrat monolith -- I'm all in favor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design