Author Topic: What happened to the 'Polite' in APS?  (Read 643 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What happened to the 'Polite' in APS?
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »
I miss Jamis as a moderator.  In my opinion, the sort of personal attacks and insults that now occur in the Politics thread would not have happened on his watch.  In times past, there was recognition of a diversity of opinion that could be expressed without insulting others. Threads would be locked and people would be given time outs.  Whatever happened to Jamis?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: What happened to the 'Polite' in APS?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm FB Friends with him, and he's still around on the internet.  Not sure why he left here.  His profile has him last active in June.

I have also noted an increase in sharp words around here.  Perhaps it's lighter moderation, perhaps in symptomatic of the increasing divide in American Culture, perhaps politically minded folks are retreating farther into their corners and circling the metaphorical wagons.  Perhaps it's some combination.

I would note that just the "normal" social media platforms have gotten more rancorous in the last 12-24 months, so it's not too surprising that that eventually leeches out into other corners of the internet.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
Once an election year is over things generally mellow out.

Jamis did OK as a mod but he was prone to taking his own personal shots as well...then locking the thread  :laugh:

We started out as a very libertarian group when this place was first opened up. Even I self identified as a classical liberal back then.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
Politics is really not the place to be discussing forum administration.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."