Author Topic: Sanctity of the Lone Ranger, Political Nicknames, and Religion  (Read 1905 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Sanctity of the Lone Ranger, Political Nicknames, and Religion
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
Browsing the Lone Ranger thread, Fistful had this to say:

By the way, shall I presume that you are not amused by cartoons about Mohamed or Jesus? How about the Spaghetti Monster thing? Or is it just Tonto that's sacred?

I was also browsing the politics forum, and noticed this thread, which I know is old:

Nicknames... McStain, Hitlery, George W Fistful, etc....

This got me to thinking, why are nicknames like this or mockery of the Lone Ranger unacceptable, but exclamations like "Sweet Zombie Jesus/Jeebus," which is a favorite of some on this board not a problem? I'm aware mockery of the Lone Ranger is not necessarily against board policy, it's just an example.

I've long been offended by this impolite way of referring to Jesus here, whose name I and others on the board hold to be sacred. Why is calling John McCain "McStain" not allowed on the board, but calling Jesus "Zombie Jeebus" acceptable?

I realize many on this board are not Christian or not religious or anti-religion. But to me, this just seems like a basic lack of respect toward the Christians here.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Sanctity of the Lone Ranger, Political Nicknames, and Religion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
We were and are trying to keep the board from becoming a political mudslinging fest.  At the time that rule was made, a few members delighted in coming up with "better and better" names for people they don't like.

Jeebus is a reference to the Simpsons, FWIW.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
Oh, and "Sweet baby Jesus" is a subtle reference to a poster we had for a while who referenced "little baby Jesus" in everything he wrote.  And yes, he was trying to get a rise out of Christians.  The zombie part came after the rise in zombie flicks, games, and culture.  I doubt the current usage is meant to be anti-religion.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sweet%20jebus

I argue if it's legitimately meme-ified, it's fair game for APS.

McStain isn't fair game, but Rudy McRomney is (when referring to RINOs).  Because he's a meme.

Being that Jeebus, Jebus, zombie jeebus and other derivatives have been meme-ified, they are permissible for APS consumption.  Otherwise, we'd have to kick Harold off the forum entirely since we'd eliminate 99.37% of his bitmap vocabulary.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
I understand the reasons for the political limitations, and the derivation of the memes. It doesn't make it any less offensive to me just because it's popular or hip.

Maybe I'm the only one it bothers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
Jeebus is a reference to the Simpsons, FWIW.

Oh, and "Sweet baby Jesus" is a subtle reference to a poster we had for a while who referenced "little baby Jesus" in everything he wrote.  And yes, he was trying to get a rise out of Christians.  The zombie part came after the rise in zombie flicks, games, and culture.  I doubt the current usage is meant to be anti-religion.

That may be how you perceive those comments, but you can't expect most people to see it that way. Jokes or interjections involving "Jesus" or "Jeebus" are offensive to a lot of people, and they pose the same issue as political nick-names. I'm not sure how this could be gainsaid.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
That may be how you perceive those comments, but you can't expect most people to see it that way. Jokes or interjections involving "Jesus" or "Jeebus" are offensive to a lot of people, and they pose the same issue as political nick-names. I'm not sure how this could be gainsaid.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
I've objected to Mohamed cartoons and Halloween costumes in the past.

I'm not sure where you're going with that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:06:40 PM by Fistful »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »

Shakespeare did it all the time.  I'm astonishingly ok with saying something offensive that has been published and performed in Christian nations millions of times spread over over four hundred years.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
Deriding politicians with nick-names also enjoys a long and rich history. So thanks for pointing out another similarity.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:14:19 PM by Fistful »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
It is my understanding, verified again in this thread, that the ban has specific parameters and application, and has nothing to do with banning everything that anyone sufficiently priggish finds offensive.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
then there are hatefilled names, and names that are actually slightly amusing. and link the pol to something they probably like anyway. :laugh:

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
I understand the reasons for the political limitations, and the derivation of the memes. It doesn't make it any less offensive to me just because it's popular or hip.

Maybe I'm the only one it bothers.

Set up a poll.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »
It is my understanding, verified again in this thread, that the ban has specific parameters and application, and has nothing to do with banning everything that anyone sufficiently priggish finds offensive.

That was kinda the point. It doesn't seem reasonable to ban political nicknames, but allow other speech that could impede the "civil discourse."

I didn't start the thread. I didn't call for a prohibition on blasphemy. But if people think that "sweet Jeebus" or "zombie J--s-s" are not going to offend, someone should help them understand that they are simply wrong.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »
From:  http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/2011/01/from-idiot-at-salon.html

Sweet shivering Shiva on a pogo stick

I know, I know... his living room, his language, his rules.

I personally find all similar derivations hilarious.  Sweet vampire buddha.  Holy Mohamabomb, Batman!
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
Besides having a really great name, this thread is an instructive primer on the current American mind-set. While political causes and figures are to be taken seriously, and discussed respectfully; religious ideas are just fluff, which only "prigs" take seriously.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
Besides having a really great name, this thread is an instructive primer on the current American mind-set. While political causes and figures are to be taken seriously, and discussed respectfully; religious ideas are just fluff, which only "prigs" take seriously.

Umm, no.  At the time we put those rules into effect, this place was on the verge of becoming a monkey house, with all the poo-flinging that accompanies one.  It was either that or close politics down completely (and ban political posts site-wide) because some of you can't discuss the subject without becoming childish.

If you'll bother to notice, the post laying out those rules was stickied only at the top of the Politics forum, where it was deemed necessary.

You know, personally I alternate between telling you folks to go eff yourself (I'm sure we'll get a butthurt post about that too) and feeling a mite insulted that some of you read so much into so little.  It's as if you're looking to start a fight.  Nah, that can't be it.

Chris