Author Topic: Gura gets spanked... HARD by Scalia  (Read 8141 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Gura gets spanked... HARD by Scalia
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »
This will be a blow to those watching this from a Libertarian ideological purity standpoint who were praying for McDonald Vs. Chicago and 2A Incorporation against the states to open a whole new incorporation angle under the "Privliges and Immunities" clause of the Constitution.

Scalia essentially led Gura by the nose and forced him to concede to the NRA's Due Process argument for 2A incorporation and twisted his arm (figuratively of course...) .

The first argument to collapse as the argument unfolded was the plea by the lawyer for gun rights advocates, Alan Gura of Alexandria, VA, that the Court should “incorporate” the Second Amendment into the 14th Amendment through the “privileges or immunities” clause. In the first comment from the bench after Gura had barely opened, Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., noted that the Court had essentially scuttled that argument with its ruling in the SlaughterHouse Cases in 1873.

And Scalia noted that the “due process” clause — an open-ended provision that he has strongly attacked on other occasions– was available as the vehicle for incorporation, and added: “Even I have acquisced in that.” Gura somewhat meekly said “we would be extremely happy:” if the Court used the “due process” clause to extend the Second Amendment’s reach.

Maybe it's hyperbole on my part, but it seems to me that there's a good chance if the NRA wasn't "tagging along" in their Johnny Come Lately fashion some criticize them of having with their Due Process Incorporation brief, we could have really been screwed.   =|

Edit. That's not to say Mr. Gura didn't get some damn fine zingers in against Sotomyer.  =D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:57:45 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Gura gets spanked... HARD by Scalia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
Maybe it's hyperbole on my part, but it seems to me that there's a good chance if the NRA wasn't "tagging along" in their Johnny Come Lately fashion some criticize them of having with their Due Process Incorporation brief, we could have really been screwed.   undecided

No. We wouldn't have been screwed because Gura's brief included both DP and PI argumentation from the start.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:03:55 PM »
Have they rendered a verdict on this yet?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »

As far as I understand, that's not how it works. It'll take them several months (at least two) to read the documents and write a verdict. Remember this is not the only case they're considering simultaneously.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »

No, it's just oral arguments which to a great degree is just pro-forma legal theater. The Justices might glean some new insight they hadn't considered from arguing counsel, but it's not likely. They have their constitutional theories and will rule accordingly after hashing out a majority amongst them.

The briefs have submitted, and they'll release their ruling in June when the session ends, and in the case of Heller and other contentious issues, probably on the last possible day and minute.

Just from simple judicial constraint, I don't think they'll be inclined to accept Gura's P&I incorporation arguments, since that opens the door to many "hidden" rights that people can come hat-in-hand to the SCOTUS with. Similar to the "Right to Privacy" which was the basis of Rove V. Wade.

I think incorporation is a slam dunk. Something like 48 of the 50 states have an RKBA clause or amendment of varying strengths, so there's little danger even the anti's see in incorporation. The issue that's really at stake is the scrutiny standard. Pray it's at least "moderate scrutiny".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:21:05 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:54:11 PM »
The feeling I am getting is that the Supreme Court is going to rule in our favor and state that the states have to abide by the 2nd and bans are a no-no.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
I just finished skimming the transcript on this.
I have a question for the lawyer types here.
How can someone as stupid as Feldman makes himself out to be become a lawyer?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »

IANAL, but somebody has to graduate at the bottom of the class and be the lowest quintile on the bar exam.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
Here's a link to a PDF of the oral arguments.

McDonald v Chicago
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »

Somebody has to argue the wrong side.  Just ask Clements about that. :)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
IANAL, but somebody has to graduate at the bottom of the class and be the lowest quintile on the bar exam.

What had me LOL is that he didn't even try much of anything but re-hashing D.C.'s poor arguments. "Guns are BAAAAAD M'kay? Crime an poor 'mnorities an stuff... WAH!"

He should have at least gone with some sort of novel argument, while no more legally rigorous, it would at least be entertaining.

I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
He should have at least gone with some sort of novel argument, while no more legally rigorous, it would at least be entertaining.

I think he did.  He argued against his own position more than once.

I swear I heard more than one justice very loudly think "WTF" at his position.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: I'm sorry. Is it the position of the City of Chicago that we should rely on Justice Harlan's dissent in Griswold?

---------

JUSTICE SCALIA: See, the right to keep and bear arms is right there, it's right there in the Bill of Rights. Where do you find the right to self-defense?
MR. FELDMAN: Well, I -
JUSTICE SCALIA: You -- you want us to impose that one on the States but not -- not the explicit guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms. That seems very strange.

---------

MR. FELDMAN: They banned -- well, not -- I can't say that they banned handguns in the home per -
JUSTICE SCALIA: No, you can't, because they didn't.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
What had me LOL is that he didn't even try much of anything but re-hashing D.C.'s poor arguments.

It's the case, not the lawyer.  Those crappy DC arguments were brought forth by Clements in the DC case.  Today Clements argued for the NRA alongside Gura.  It's not the lawyer's fault that the defendant's reasoning sounds stupid.  It's because the defendant doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
One of the guys I know mentioned this case to me earlier.
I told him I wasn't worried, and he said "Most of the supreme court dudes are democrats, you could wake up tomorrow and find out that guns are completely banned."
I lol'd.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:26 AM »
One of the guys I know mentioned this case to me earlier.
I told him I wasn't worried, and he said "Most of the supreme court dudes are democrats, you could wake up tomorrow and find out that guns are completely banned."
I lol'd.

Democrats crack me up.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 04:32:44 AM »
People who opine about things they don't understand, at all, crack me up too.

It's just happenstance that often those people are progressives.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 05:59:14 AM »
Oral arguments are basically meaningless.  It's what's on paper that counts.

Arguing privileges & immunities strikes me off hand as silly, but I haven't read the briefs.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 08:13:45 AM »
Oral arguments are basically meaningless.  It's what's on paper that counts.

Arguing privileges & immunities strikes me off hand as silly, but I haven't read the briefs.

Even the weakest notion of judicial restraint would make five of them not touch a P&I argument with a ten foot pole.
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:19:29 AM »
Even the weakest notion of judicial restraint would make five of them not touch a P&I argument with a ten foot pole.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the first major gun rights case in the states was the best venue for trying to revive the P&I clause.  That would be like getting to the Supreme Court on a commerce clause issue and using the opportunity to try and revive "freedom of contract" a la Lochner.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
On the gripping hand. 

Slaughterhouse is plainly bad law and bad law, from a logical, historical and moral sense, does not deserve the respect of stare decicis.  Overturning it wouldn't necessarily create any problems going forward.  Despite the bare fears that raised their heads, it's pretty clear P&I is not a blank check (or at least need not be) for "any right one can imagine", which Gura made clear in his brief.

The Court had a chance to make history and clean up one of their most shameful messes.  They chose expediency and timidity in simply ignoring it.

Either way, incorporation was, from most accounts, a slam dunk via due process regardless, why not ask for the moon?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »
My favorite line from Scalia was this:

JUSTICE SCALIA:         Mr. Feldman, let me take your argument at -- at its face value.         
Let's assume that the only reason it is there and the only purpose it serves is the militia purpose. Isn't that militia purpose just as much defeated by allowing the States to take away the militia's arms as it would be by allowing the Federal Government to take away the militia's arms?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
People who opine about things they don't understand, at all, crack me up too.

It's just happenstance that often those people are progressives.  =D
i had a Dr. tell me he liked Medicaid and hated managed care. then he said the healthcare bill would fix the whole system. :O

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 06:00:48 AM »
On the gripping hand. 

Slaughterhouse is plainly bad law and bad law, from a logical, historical and moral sense, does not deserve the respect of stare decicis.  Overturning it wouldn't necessarily create any problems going forward.  Despite the bare fears that raised their heads, it's pretty clear P&I is not a blank check (or at least need not be) for "any right one can imagine", which Gura made clear in his brief.

The Court had a chance to make history and clean up one of their most shameful messes.  They chose expediency and timidity in simply ignoring it.

Either way, incorporation was, from most accounts, a slam dunk via due process regardless, why not ask for the moon?

Given the lack of history on the second amendment in the Supreme Court, and its overwhelmingly negative history in lower courts, incorporation is far from a slam dunk.  Recognition of the right in the first place was narrowly written, and did not resolve what the Supreme Court undoubtedly knew to be a range of obvious questions about the extent of the right.

There's really no dispute about the slaughterhouse cases, I'm with you there.  But when you're asking for something that has never been explicitly recognized before, it's best to prioritize old reliable, and to characterize the change you want as recognition of the obvious, or at minimum, incremental change based on a solid foundation.

Asking the court to overrule what it has accepted for a century does not tend to give the picture that expansive gun rights are settled law.

PTK

• friends
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »
Related: http://www.wasupremecourtblog.com/2010/02/articles/opinions/opinion-second-amendment-applies-to-states-but-minors-dont-have-constitutional-right-to-possess-guns/

Perhaps the SCOTUS will take that into consideration? I can dream...

The minor gun possession issue is kind of a red-herring, even under strict scrutiny and if you treat incorporation as a given. There's tons of case law dealing with minors and first and fourth amendment rights, the voting franchise, any number of things. My minor children don't have the "right" to go make a speech in a public park whenever they want, just under the dictates of normal parental responsibility. I can't see the 2A being all that different.

I promise not to duck.