Author Topic: USA #1! USA! USA!  (Read 8137 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
USA #1! USA! USA!
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
That's right, as of April 1, the United States will be #1 in the world...

... for corporate tax rate.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2011/03/tax-foundation-us.html

That's SURE to encourage investment and lower unemployment, right!??

So puff your chest out Americans, once again, we're #1 in the world.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: USA #1! USA! USA!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
How's the hopey-changey stuff working for YOU, Obama? :mad: Inquiring minds wanna know.
Can't wait to see the effects of this on the economy.... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
No need to wait and see what the effects will be.  Our taxes and regulations have been onerous on business for years now.  The results are plain to see, with businesses increasingly moving operations offshore, and with the economy becoming less resilient.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
No need to wait and see what the effects will be.  Our taxes and regulations have been onerous on business for years now.  The results are plain to see, with businesses increasingly moving operations offshore, and with the economy becoming less resilient.

You beat me to it.

I also love the morons exclaiming, "but we had a much higher tax rate 60 years ago and were the leaders of the world in EVERYTHING!"

I wonder if these people understand the difference between absolute and relative. I seriously doubt it.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
You beat me to it.

I also love the morons exclaiming, "but we had a much higher tax rate 60 years ago and were the leaders of the world in EVERYTHING!"

I wonder if these people understand the difference between absolute and relative. I seriously doubt it.

60 years ago we were also the only major industrialized power that hadn't been blown to hell and gone in that little spat known as the Second World War. It's hard to not be the leader when everyone you are competing against is either just starting to crawl out of a pile of rubble that used to be their major industrial center, or hasn't even achieved pile-of-rubble status yet.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
60 years ago we were also the only major industrialized power that hadn't been blown to hell and gone in that little spat known as the Second World War. It's hard to not be the leader when everyone you are competing against is either just starting to crawl out of a pile of rubble that used to be their major industrial center, or hasn't even achieved pile-of-rubble status yet.

I smell a solution in there somewhere. Not as simple as lowering taxes, but more likely to happen, stimulates the economy too!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chart_1.png

At the risk of being called dirty names...like liberal commie...I'd have to admit that spending may the main issue, but not the only issue.  We've been spinning out of control since Reagan.
The highest earners paid much higher taxes in the "glory days" of the US....and there was actually a broad middle class that paid taxes, and bought stuff that spurred the economy and created more tax revenue. The really Rich have sold the working class a political bill of goods over the past 30 years....convincing them that taxes on the ultra rich will kill the economy.   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
Your chart says screw the rich to pay for the New Deal and this great new world we're going to build. Correlation does not equal causation, I'd bet that those ridiculous tax rates had nothing to do with our "glory days" just happened at the same time, as already mentioned, pretty easy to be the best when you're the winner and everyone else, even the other winners are a smoking hole. How could a 75% tax on the highest earners ever be sustainable? I get taxed that much and I will cheat, earn less, or move to another country. Hey, just like our businesses do!
AKA Navy Joe   

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

At the risk of being called dirty names...like liberal commie...I'd have to admit that spending may the main issue, but not the only issue.  We've been spinning out of control since Reagan.
The highest earners paid much higher taxes in the "glory days" of the US....and there was actually a broad middle class that paid taxes, and bought stuff that spurred the economy and created more tax revenue. The really Rich have sold the working class a political bill of goods over the past 30 years....convincing them that taxes on the ultra rich will kill the economy.   

...I also love the people exclaiming, "but we had a much higher tax rate 60 years ago and were the leaders of the world in EVERYTHING!"

It's like you didn't read the rest of the thread...

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »

Yes, back in the mid 20th century we had a tax rate that was insanely high.  The richest were taxed at a rate about 91% at one point, reduced later, IIRC, to about 71%.  Some libtards love to point this out.
What they fail to state is that there were many more tax shelters back then.  Few if any actually paid an effective 91% income tax.
We still have some shelters, dodges and whatnot but not like there used to be.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:43:56 AM »
I remember doing taxes before Reagan cut the top rates and eliminated most deductions. Everything was deductible, even credit card interest.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »
When you realise that Clinton and Bush's economic policies were essentially the same as Reagan's, you have to wonder how we ended up in this economic position....I mean, if it was 20 straight years of economic awesome before 2008, why the hell did it all evaporate in a matter of months? 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
In many ways, corporate taxes are the most regressive tax we use.  It just means we pay more for everything because the corporations just pass the cost of the tax on.  I never really understood the principle.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »
In many ways, corporate taxes are the most regressive tax we use.  It just means we pay more for everything because the corporations just pass the cost of the tax on.  I never really understood the principle.

Actually, you understand it better than you think....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »

I'm not convinced of this.  Corporations have to deal with market constraints on the prices of their goods.  If it were as simple as passing on the costs, they wouldn't invest so much money in fighting the taxes.  They certainly aren't spending that political cash for your benefit.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
In many ways, corporate taxes are the most regressive tax we use.  It just means we pay more for everything because the corporations just pass the cost of the tax on.  I never really understood the principle.

Actually, it's worse than that. Corporations are taxed on profits, so they do everything they can to have their profits not count as "profits." Thus we get over-re-investment (is that a word?) into the company, and many other ways of keeping "profits" down.

And, if they pay those profits as dividends, they get taxed, AGAIN, as income. YAY! Double taxing!!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
I'm not convinced of this.  Corporations have to deal with market constraints on the prices of their goods.  If it were as simple as passing on the costs, they wouldn't invest so much money in fighting the taxes.  They certainly aren't spending that political cash for your benefit.

The entirety of the cost cannot be passed onto consumers unless it is a perfectly inelastic demand curve: the percentage of cost passed onto consumers is a function of the elasticity of the demand. More elasticity means less cost passed onto consumers.

So, oil companies pass most of the cost of taxes onto consumers. Unicorn Spam companies have to eat most of the cost.

In other words, the things we need the most will have the most cost passed onto consumers, meaning it's regressive.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
I've been fortunate enough to get to travel a lot. The most striking example(in a nominally free country) I've seen of government tax policy killing a country was in Norway this past year. My wife commented how everybody must be rich due to the number of Mercedes and the like on the road. No honey, the only ones that can afford $8/gallon gas are the Mercedes owners.  saw little to no initiative in that country. Good to excellent social welfare coupled with ridiculous taxes = why work hard? Supposedly you can hardly get across the border to Sweden on the weekend due to all the people off to shop in Sweden and duck the 28% VAT. Keep raising taxes, we'll make more money!  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

It also means Corporations move over seas to avoid paying corporate taxes on overseas profits and such. 
That is one reason I am not happy with our tax system.  We tax profits of corporations and individuals.  We tax employment with payroll taxes and such.  Then we complain about unemployment and companies moving overseas or moving manufacturing overseas.  Well, if you increase the cost of doing business, businesses are going to look for solutions.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to get to travel a lot. The most striking example(in a nominally free country) I've seen of government tax policy killing a country was in Norway this past year. My wife commented how everybody must be rich due to the number of Mercedes and the like on the road. No honey, the only ones that can afford $8/gallon gas are the Mercedes owners.  saw little to no initiative in that country. Good to excellent social welfare coupled with ridiculous taxes = why work hard? Supposedly you can hardly get across the border to Sweden on the weekend due to all the people off to shop in Sweden and duck the 28% VAT. Keep raising taxes, we'll make more money!  ;/
Correct. As you may or may not know, we've got a .gov monopoly on selling alcohol here, together with high taxes...The .gov liquor store in Strömstad (IIRC), which is a small town, constantly reports the best profits, because of the Norwegians who go across the border. I don't want to even begin to imagine how much booze must cost in Norway if it's a good deal to go here to get it. I do know that I paid what seemed like double the price for a pack of cigarettes a few years ago when I was in Norway, compared to what I paid here at the time...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
Heh, I was getting a little worn out on drinking Coke at $4/750ml so I thought I'd do the logical Euro thing and switch to beer, always seemed to work in my sailor days. Well, beer was about $5/pint can. Nope, not doing it.
AKA Navy Joe   

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
Heh, I was getting a little worn out on drinking Coke at $4/750ml so I thought I'd do the logical Euro thing and switch to beer, always seemed to work in my sailor days. Well, beer was about $5/pint can. Nope, not doing it.
Smuggling beer, booze and cigarettes to Norway is quite profitable from what I've heard =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Lee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
It's like you didn't read the rest of the thread...
You're right... I didn't read all of it.  But it's generally the same story.  I've heard Rush and the others preach about it for a decade or more..ditto ditto ditto.  I'd never claim to be a financial genius - or even understand anything more than basics. I could never of dreamed of things like derivatives or bundling bad debt into investment packages. But I do understand the concept of income vs spending.  We've lowered tax rates for 30+ years while spending trillions for a war on some drugs, subsidizing health care, and reorganizing the middle east because a few misguided arabs attacked us with box cutters.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Correct. As you may or may not know, we've got a .gov monopoly on selling alcohol here, together with high taxes...The .gov liquor store in Strömstad (IIRC), which is a small town, constantly reports the best profits, because of the Norwegians who go across the border. I don't want to even begin to imagine how much booze must cost in Norway if it's a good deal to go here to get it. I do know that I paid what seemed like double the price for a pack of cigarettes a few years ago when I was in Norway, compared to what I paid here at the time...

Back when I was stationed in Germany we bought two Saabs, and picked them up in Trollhatten.  We had to take the ferry from Kiel to Goteberg and it was filled with twentish Swedes just getting hammered.  I asked one of the stewards what was going on, a birthday or wedding or some other party?  He replied "No, it's like this every weekend, they get on the ferry and party coming and going because the beer and booze is duty free and much cheaper then in Sweden."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
Yes, the duty free ferry from Norway to Denmark was quite the deal. Not as much of a deal as getting on the all night train through Denmark to Kiel only to discover that it was Carnival or somesuch and your quiet overnight jetlagged trainride was going to be shared with 500 of your newest drunkest frenz. Oh well, the pirate wench who sat on my table was cute at least. The one who sat on my armrest not bad either. Jetlagged wife was my travel buddy so play it cool man and don't stare.  :police: Hey, were we talking about taxing commies or something?
AKA Navy Joe