Author Topic: L.A. Unified Bans Flavored Milk  (Read 8167 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: L.A. Unified Bans Flavored Milk
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
If I'm being forced at gunpoint to feed other people's children, they should be getting fed appropriate foods.  Fattening the little bastards up is just going to lead to more expenses for the taxpayer down the road.

The argument begins and ends with your first clause.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
Back when we were still married, and even afterwards, I would go into the schools and try the food and say howdy to the staff.  It is not gourmet by any means, but not that bad.  Even elementary schools have salad bars and the like.  Of note, the most popular menu is the one that has chicken nuggets, tater tots, corn an apple and a cookie.  The schools no longer have deep fryers, so the nuggets and tots are baked, the corn is a frozen USDA commodity and the cookie is high fiber and has prune puree in it to reduce fats and sugar.  And I have to say that the cooks and staff that I knew took pride in producing as good food as possible consistent with the financial and equipment limitations.  Because of the mandate to reduce labor costs as much as possible, they could not do as much scratch cooking as they would have liked.

It was amazing to me how politicized the program was.  Primarily at the national level, where the USDA is lobbied to include or require various foods to be on the commodity program.  If you are Tyson or Archer Daniels Midland, you want the government to be buying your products for the school lunch program and other institutional use.  And boy, do they spend the money on lobbyists and members of Congress to ensure this happens.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:11:05 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »
The argument begins and ends with your first clause.

Oh I agree and fully support ending all forms of welfare.  But its not like I can just wave a magic wand and end it tomorrow.  So if there is free and subsidized lunches, they should be healthy. 
I'll do cartwheels down mainstreet when welfare of all types is ended.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
i hear ya.  that said feeding kids is amongst the least objectionable forms.  i just wish i dodn't see those kids parents driving niceer wheels than me and wearing better clothes and carrying i phones
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
I was always sad when my ex told me stories about how for so many kids, the free school breakfast and lunch would be the only meals they would have all day.  And this is in a fairly affluent suburb north of Seattle.  Pockets of poverty are everywhere.

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
when i drove cab in montgomery county md we had a contract to haul kids to counseling etc.  you'd be amazed at some of the kids we hauled from some assistance program home to what seemed to me a mansion.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
i hear ya.  that said feeding kids is amongst the least objectionable forms.  i just wish i dodn't see those kids parents driving niceer wheels than me and wearing better clothes and carrying i phones

I developed a whole new attitude towards "poverty" after working in a housing project for a summer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
FTR, I get tired of being lectured on nutrition by a First Lady with an *expletive deleted*ss as wide as an ox cart.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
On Sunday, we went down to the Seattle waterfront to catch the ferry over Puget Sound.  We walked by a group of men on the sidewalk with cardboard signs soliciting donations: "disabled homeless combat veteran needs money for food and medicine".  As we walked past, I was struck by how all of them were smoking commercially-made cigarettes and had cell phones.  Huh.

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
I developed a whole new attitude towards "poverty" after working in a housing project for a summer.

cynic!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
cynic!

Hey give him a break -- he was just jealous of all the Escalades parked out front. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
An average school lunch runs under $3.  Whens the last time you got a meal for under $3?  Or hell, even fed a school aged child for that much?

I got a meal for $3 [12 shekels] this morning. It was an omelette, a sandwich, and some salad.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »
What's the general income tax rate in Israel?  How much does gasoline cost?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
I got a meal for $3 [12 shekels] this morning. It was an omelette, a sandwich, and some salad.

I'm lucky if I get a meal for under $15 of any kind unless it's fast food (that's around $10).

School lunches make money for schools and cost less than commercia meals!?  That's unpossible; government is inefficient
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
I'm lucky if I get a meal for under $15 of any kind unless it's fast food (that's around $10).

School lunches make money for schools and cost less than commercia meals!?  That's unpossible; government is inefficient

Which is why the meals are outsourced, nowadays.  Like they are at the public school across the street from my house and the private school I send my kids to.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Which is why the meals are outsourced, nowadays.  Like they are at the public school across the street from my house and the private school I send my kids to.

Point, set, match- roo_ster.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 10:30:25 PM »

Where I am, fast food is much closer to $5 per meal. $10 would be "quick service," like Panera or Quiznos.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:03 PM »
$1 Filet-O-Fish sandwiches every Friday at McDonalds. Also Costco has giant hot dogs or slices of pizza with a free refill drink for like two bucks. If I were homeless, I'd live in front of the Costco, or beg for enough money for a membership so I could fill up on free samples of all the gourmet food they always give the free samples of... thereto.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
I can see a school being able to feed kids a lunch for $3 each by buying in bulk.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »
$1 Filet-O-Fish sandwiches every Friday at McDonalds.

Yeah, you could definitely get a meal for $3 or less, at a lot of fast food joints.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »

Uh?

How do you manage that? Do you mean restaurant meals?

For $15 - that's 60 shekels or so - I can get a very, very decent restaurant meal.

Is Australia suffering from some crazy food shortages?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
I can see a school being able to feed kids a lunch for $3 each by buying in bulk.

Actually, the secret is that the school lunch program gets large amounts of free or very inexpensive government commodities.  They still have to buy food and supplies that are not commodities, and they usually get those from the commercial suppliers like Sysco.  So all those crops and farm products that the government pays farmers to grow, as a form of corporate welfare or crop supports, get made into commodities and provided to government feeding programs, food banks, and the like.  Lots and lots of cheese, dried milk products, vegetables, flour and fruits.  The biggest problem is that you cannot predict the supply.  The government may want to get rid of thousands of tons of canned applesauce, when you really wanted peaches, but cannot get them as a commodity.  

PS: here is the current NSLP USDA food commodity list: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/foods/SY12-schfoods.pdf

PPS: my ex tells me that the most popular vegetable is raw broccoli with fat-free ranch dressing for dipping.  She says that the kids just inhale that, from elementary to high school.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:47:28 PM by MillCreek »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
$1 Filet-O-Fish sandwiches every Friday at McDonalds. Also Costco has giant hot dogs or slices of pizza with a free refill drink for like two bucks. If I were homeless, I'd live in front of the Costco, or beg for enough money for a membership so I could fill up on free samples of all the gourmet food they always give the free samples of... thereto.

My game plan, for feeding myself if I become homeless, is to dress up in a suit with a 'Hello, my name is' badge.  I then go downtown to the major hotels and the convention center.  I go up to the meeting floors and feed myself on the snack and meal displays for the conventions and meetings.  If anyone asks, I am Bill from Cedar Rapids, and this is my first convention here in Seattle.  If you look halfway decent, you could pull this off easily.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:02 AM »

Mind sharing your thoughts?  I'm curious.  I tend to stay away from housing projects for obvious reasons, and wouldn't mind learning more.  Could start a new thread if it's off topic.

As for a meal for $15, for $9 I can get a full meal the size of a turkey platter from the diner down the street.  Including a side of bacon.  For a trip to the grocery store, for $15, I could buy enough to feed myself (healthily, mind you, not just ramen) for a week. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »

I'd be interested in a performance comparison between outsourced lunches and in-house programs, like Millcreek described.  Any info on that MC?

Australia has high consumer prices.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."