Author Topic: What does a smoking employee cost the company?  (Read 4016 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
The last several employers I've had, have shopped insurance carriers every year and typically would change carriers every 2 years in order to get a more competitive rate.

Given that trend... how do insurance companies justify charging young smokers more for insurance, when it's a near 100% guarantee that the young smoker isn't going to be on that insurance company's liability list 10-20 years from now when he might actually need health care due to his smoking habits?

In the last 10 years, I've been on BCBS, Humana, Cigna, Aetna and United Health Care.  All of 'em.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
There was a study done back in the 1980's that found that smokers in general were more productive. I smoked because I was very hyper, so any correlation the study found may have been reverse.

A lot of habitual drug users are often inadvertanly self medicating something. In terms of overall health, this,generally backfires, but in the moment, it actually works.

Most habitual, heavy smokers seem to light up when stressed as a cool down time. I do, my dad does, every smoker friend I ever had (and since my main source of friends at college was people I met smoking, this is a large number) does.
When a smoker is stressed, they go smoke. Five minutes later, they've relaxed, calmed down and are ready to work again.
*shrug*

At work, I can tell you that a smoking break after working on a dog that is breaking my everlasting nerve makes it possible for me to go on to the next dog without me wanting to slaughter. If I quit smoking, I'm not sure what excuse I'll use to just walk away from dogs with a death wish.

The local hospital has a no smoking on grounds for everyone (workers, patients, and visitors) which I think is retarded, at least for those who arn't employees. I havn't had to take Dad in since the policy went into place for his semi annual trip to the ER for fluids, cause he's sick as a dog and refused to go to the doctor when I told him too, but it's gonna be intresting when that time comes around. When dad is stressed and unable to smoke, it doesn't go well for anyone. There is a time and a place to push the no smoking agenda. The middle of the night with a dehydrated, grumpy old fart who's stressed out because he had to go to the ER is not that time.

I think there are grounds for medical employees who work with patients for not hiring smokers. The smell does stick and having a patient who is allergic or for some reason could be stressed out by it is possible. For the same reason, the same people also should avoid heavy perfumes and such.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:22 PM »
Anytime you see an employee smoking, throw a bucket of water on them.
Only you can prevent spontaneous human combustion!
 :angel:

I used to smoke, now I smolder.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »
At work, I can tell you that a smoking break after working on a dog that is breaking my everlasting nerve makes it possible for me to go on to the next dog without me wanting to slaughter. If I quit smoking, I'm not sure what excuse I'll use to just walk away from dogs with a death wish.

Is it possible that your experience of stress is tied to the creeping need for another nicotine fix?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the dog was a pain in the ass, but if you weren't about due for another smoke, I wonder if the dog would have bothered you so much.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
Smoking employee == lost productivity.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:43:50 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
There is a time and a place to push the no smoking agenda. The middle of the night with a dehydrated, grumpy old fart who's stressed out because he had to go to the ER is not that time.

Amen! 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
There is a time and a place to push the no smoking agenda. The middle of the night with a dehydrated, grumpy old fart who's stressed out because he had to go to the ER is not that time.

Of course it is. Smokers must be made to suffer. It's completely his fault for engaging in a non-approved activity.

After all, you have to break a few eggs to get to Utopia!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
Is it possible that your experience of stress is tied to the creeping need for another nicotine fix?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the dog was a pain in the ass, but if you weren't about due for another smoke, I wonder if the dog would have bothered you so much.

Not really. My good day at work is about a three hour strech before the craving set in. One hour on a PITA dog has me running for ciggerette break.

The more stressed I am at work, usually directly correlates to how many times I hide out back and smoke. Today was a good day. Three total, one "not a break" walking a dog, one my daily after poop scooping, and one after a long streach with a matted doodle that was more about the fact that I had the time then need. After that, nothing, but I had a Dane I like and the worlds fattest cocker covered in warts who's more gross then PITA.

There are days when I can get all the way through four or five dogs, and then there are days when it's a break after every single one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
Of course it is. Smokers must be made to suffer. It's completely his fault for engaging in a non-approved activity.

After all, you have to break a few eggs to get to Utopia!

In that case,

You take him!

>:D

Have fun! =D