Author Topic: Best IPA?  (Read 7337 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Best IPA?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »
Agreed.

May as well drink the water from a pot of brussels sprouts and hops that's been simmering for a week or so... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
What I would absolutely love to see is a micro brewery that wished to focus on the very old pre-hop beers.  Man has been drinking "beer" (loosely defined as fermented beverage of water with grain) for many thousands of years.  It's only been maybe the last thousand or so that hops really start to play a part and take over as the principle beer flavoring.

Prior to this you saw beers flavored mostly with spices, citrus zest, herbs, etc.  Hops main advantage is that it allowed beers to be brewed which had a longer shelf life with an extreme example of this being IPA.  But on a local lever and in the age of refrigeration and pasteurisation that effect and need it greatly minimised.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Punk IPA.

Yeah it tries too hard, but it is good.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »
You are probably thinking about RateBeer or BeerAdvocate

http://www.ratebeer.com/

http://beeradvocate.com/

I like RateBeer myself.

It was ratebeer.com, thanks MillCreek.

I passed over it initially but went back after you posted it up, thats the one I was thinking of.

Bells Hopslam is an Imperial double IPA. Much more going on than just hops, a touch of sweetness and maltiness also.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
Ron,

Lagunitas brews two IPAs, their standard and IPA Maximus.  The Maximus is truly superior, try it if you haven't already.

Those who like Stone's Arrogant Bastard are truly missing out if they do not also try the seasonal Double Bastard, Arrogant Bastard taken to extremes.  A true test of character is to note that Double Bastard improves with age if properly stored and has the year of release printed on its label for those with the strength to lay some down for a few years.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 02:35:17 AM »
Just tried Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid, their new IPA.  Yummy stuff!  Almost as hoppy as Ruination (102 IBU vs "100+" for the Stone brew) but with a malty foundation that Ruination lacks. 

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »
Moose's Tooth IPA

I didn't know they brewed an IPA.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »
Ooohhh, myyyyy!

Just encountered Hop Henge

If Deschutes brews are available, it is a must try.  Yummy stuff!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
Ooohhh, myyyyy!

Just encountered Hop Henge

If Deschutes brews are available, it is a must try.  Yummy stuff!

I gotta git me some 'o that!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
I love a bold IPA.  My favorite brew next to a nice porter in the cold months.

Most times whoever serves it does so WAY too cold, where the hops jump out of the glass and slap your face repeatedly.

But, I have turned that to my advantage by slowly downing a glass of IPA until the last few swallows are near room temp.  That way, I can appreciate the IPA through its entire flavor range from hop-rage to more mellow hop-love.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton