Author Topic: Talk about keeping your cool: Emergency landing on Florida street  (Read 7315 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Pilot and Flight Instructor Kyle Davis makes an incredible landing on a Florida street after his engine fails not once, but three times.
His passenger is a professional videographer, and he had two cameras recording the event.  They were on their way to the annual Sun 'n Fun fly in Sunday morning when it all happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDZIrfn4HA
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
Re: Talk about keeping your cool: Emergency landing on Florida street
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
Very impressive. And more than a little bit lucky.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
Shoulda pulled into the gas station, and told the responders/onlookers that he ran outta smokes.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »
And more than a little bit lucky.

He admitted as much in a news interview.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:51:18 AM »
I like how he seemed to steer into a parking lot at the end. No sense in blocking the road with your broken down AIRPLANE :laugh:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM »
Damn good piloting.  As a soon-to-be mechanic, I wonder what the heck happened...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:20 AM »
Damn good piloting.  As a soon-to-be mechanic, I wonder what the heck happened...

As a well experienced pilot, I can tell you.  The doohickey ran out of stuff which caused the thingamabob to fail.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:30 AM »
As a well experienced pilot, I can tell you.  The doohickey ran out of stuff which caused the thingamabob to fail.

I hate it when you pilot-types get all technical.  Try explaining it in layman's terms for the rest of us.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »
Airplanes are like computers, powered by wizards, magic, and gerbils.
Look, tiny text!

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:41:51 AM »
I hate it when you pilot-types get all technical.  Try explaining it in layman's terms for the rest of us.

The way it works is that fan on the front is there to keep the pilot cool.  When the thingambob falls off and the fan stops, the pilot starts sweating and has to land the plane.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZadSpa-SjU&NR=1

This one's pretty good too.

Not quite as real, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »
Airplanes are like computers, powered by wizards, magic, and gerbils.

Helicopters, on the other hand, fly because they are so ugly that the earth repels them.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
Judging by how the engine restarts twice, I'm guessing it's a fuel flow issue.  Bad fuel, no fuel, bad pressure, etc.

Or, maybe the hamster tripped and broke a leg.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
I think the pilot just got tired of pedalling.  =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »

This would be the very model of clarity and conciseness for a FAA report.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Impressive emergency landing
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eADLzMOWgFo
He even taxied to the ramp :)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Impressive emergency landing
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 08:06:07 AM »
Who was it that said the fan in the front of the plane is to keep the pilot cool, and when it stops spinning the pilot gets hot & bothered?

This guy seemed to be fairly cool throughout.  And the passenger had a BIG grin on landing.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »
That is pretty impressive however, it was much more impressive the first time it was posted. =| =(

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=19193.0
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
A pilot co-worker of mine said, when he saw that:
"That's not an emergency.  An emergency is when the plane stops flying."
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
That is pretty impressive however, it was much more impressive the first time it was posted. =| =(

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=19193.0
Ah crap, dupe, sorry

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »
Sans squirrel powered spinny thing, his craft seems to have a predictable glide

I can't find what homebrew machine he was piloting...

Kyle Davis, the pilot who landed his plane on a major Winter Haven, Florida street says this was not a stunt.

"I really was very, very upset that anybody would think that it was staged," said Davis. "You don't kid around about things like that. They're real, live emergencies."

Davis was beginning a short flight from Winter Haven to Lakeland. His passenger is a videographer and had cameras set up, but just after take-off the engine cut out. It restarted briefly, then went out again. When he saw the open road with not too much traffic, Kyle made the decision to put the plane down on Havendale Boulevard.

"When I landed on the street and I realized I hadn't damaged the airplane, anybody, I was okay, it was... it was incredibly relieving," said Davis. "It was a feeling like no other."

After touching down, Kyle was cruising on the same road he usually drives to work on.

"He was just awesome. I hope if I ever have a situation like that I can be as cool as Kyle was."

Davis eventually brought the plane to a stop in a parking lot. But it was 10:00 on a Sunday morning, so the furniture store wasn't open yet.

"I was incredibly, incredibly lucky," said Davis. "There was a whole, whole bunch of luck involved in this and maybe just a little, tiny little bit of experience."

Davis says this is something he's trained for and hopes the video can teach others what to do in a similar situation. In the meantime, he is a bit of a folk hero now.

"Our motto around the office now with Kyle is if you don't like the way he flies, stay off the road."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Topics merged.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
"Our motto around the office now with Kyle is if you don't like the way he flies, stay off the road."
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »
And he parks it off the road. Nice
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »
Sans squirrel powered spinny thing, his craft seems to have a predictable glide

I can't find what homebrew machine he was piloting...

I don't know all the particulars, but I heard it was a Capissen 38 engine. 

Also, you can see the primary buffer panel flying off of it, at about 0:14 in the video.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife