Author Topic: Help me "pimp my auto"...  (Read 7310 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Help me "pimp my auto"...
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
Now that I have a car with a little potential, I have to tinker.  I don't want to touch the engine because it's strong enough and I don't want to hurt the reliability or economy.  I do want to improve the handling a bit.  It's not bad, but I see room for improvement.  

Eventually, I'm going to replace the 15" steel wheels with 16" allow wheels and slightly lower profile tires (205/65-15 to 205/60-16, nearly same overall diameter).  When it's time to replace the struts, I'll go with better versions.

In the meantime, I want to take care of the "low hanging fruit", so to speak.  Based on what I've read, the Camry benefits most from an upgraded rear anti-sway bar and a strut tower brace up front.  The rear anti-sway bar is easy enough.  However, there seems to be a wide range of choices for the strut tower brace ranging from scrap metal cheap to nearly $200 (Toyota Racing Development).  Making the decision more difficult is that there's no consensus on the differences between them (some say they're all the same), nor whether they actually do anything at all.  In addition, nobody's compared two different models.  They just install one and call it good.

Also, I can't find carbon metallic brake pads (my choice when available), but lots of "ceramic" pads.  How well do these work?  I'm not overly concerned with dusting, but I do want brakes that stop well even when hot.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:37:10 AM »
I think you should get an air sucker for the front, Wolfgang...

Why do I envision a trebuchet in your near future?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Why do I envision a trebuchet in your near future?
Only to knock that subaru out of my driveway. Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »
Admit it.

You WANT an Outback.

It's just that you don't think you have enough inner Crocodile Dundee.

Everyone would know you're a poser by the miniscule knife you carry.

They'd laugh at you, and you'd have to go on a walkabout of shame...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
Oh yeah, your Fast called.

It laughed mockingly and called you a nasty name.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:23:27 AM »
I thought I bored it to death years ago.  It's hard to have a friendly Fast when you're driving up and down I66 each day.

So the folks at home will know what you're referring to...

Pimping and unpimping (along with trebuchets and things that suck): http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/22/vw-strikes-again-un-pimp-my-ride-videos/

Fast: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/17/videos-volkswagens-bizarre-gti-fast-commercials/

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »
I want to see you try the "Honey, it's hard to enjoy the engine noise with all that yammering" on Michelle.

After she kills you, can I have your guns? Smiley

The first thing I'd have to say about your new ride is that the color.... stinks.

It's very bland and mommyish. Anything you do to it is going to be overwhelmed by the color banality...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:40:03 AM »
After she kills you, can I have your guns?
No.

I love the color (Aspen Green Pearl).  Besides, when you're saving that much money, you can't be too picky on color.  I'm still waiting for the engine to blow or the cops to show up to reposess my "stolen" auto.

Because it's bland and doesn't stand out, I won't get noticed as readily if I'm driving a tad fast. Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »
Yeah, there is the urban camoflage aspect of blending in with the rest of the wildebeeste.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:51:28 AM »
yo yo, all you need is a type R emblem from an integra
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:53:43 AM »
"yo yo, all you need is a type R emblem from an integra"

NOT while I'm taking a drink of my coke, please... As sore as my sinuses are right now, I can't afford to expell any soda through them.

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »
How much do you want to spend?

Also, which engine did you get again?

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 12:36:45 PM »
Oh, and ceramic pads rock! I like the Hawk Performance Street ones. They also make a carbon compound one that fits your ride.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
http://thor.prohosting.com/moldyspo/camry.html

this guy might give you some ideas..

I'm clueless on pimping cars..  but I can build a gas suckin' tire burnin' Camry eating V-8

too bad gas is like $2.50 at the pump

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
Here's pretty much everything you'll need:

http://www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/buycarstuff.html
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory

I don't know just yet.  I know I don't want to do it all at once and I don't want to take it too far.  Just a few tweaks to make it a bit more fun to drive when the opportunity appears.

I got the 2.4L I4 (VVT-i).

ceramic pads rock!
How do they compare to carbon metallic pads like the ones Performance Friction sells?  Those are the only "performance" pads I have experience with.  They were significantly better than factory pads on the car I installed them on.  If my front brake pads ever wear out on my 4Runner, that's what I'll use there as well.

yo yo, all you need is a type R emblem from an integra
It's funny because it's true.  I didn't know Ford, Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy, etc made Type R vehicles. Smiley

this guy might give you some ideas..
no thanks.

but I can build a gas suckin' tire burnin' Camry eating V-8
Not much of an accomplishment.  Grab the nearest Ford or Chevy musclecar of your choice, your credit card, and the Summit Racing catalog and go nuts.  

Chris

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Quote from: Daniel Flory

I don't know just yet.  I know I don't want to do it all at once and I don't want to take it too far.  Just a few tweaks to make it a bit more fun to drive when the opportunity appears.

I got the 2.4L I4 (VVT-i).

ceramic pads rock!
How do they compare to carbon metallic pads like the ones Performance Friction sells?  Those are the only "performance" pads I have experience with.  They were significantly better than factory pads on the car I installed them on.  If my front brake pads ever wear out on my 4Runner, that's what I'll use there as well.
The suspension bars are a good idea, but you won't really feel them until you're pushing the car towards its limits. They may help however in steering input. Believe it or not, the eBay cheapie bars will do the same thing as the TRD. If you want to make it more fun to drive, get ultra lightweight rims. Those will make a huge difference in how your car handles and accelerates. Something 16 inches and less than 15 pounds each would be ideal. Motegi just came out with a reasonably priced set called the Trak Lites.

Also, be very discretionary in your tire selection. Good tires, like the P Zero Neros, are better modifications for your car than adding things like bars, intakes, exhaust, etc. You'll feel good tires 100% of the time in all driving conditions.  

If you have a manual, a short shift adaptor would be an excellent first modification.

Regarding brake pads, I haven't used the Performance Friction ones and I don't know anyone who does. I do know that the Hawk pads are excellent. They withstand the stress of SCCA Solo fairly well.

And be prepared for a million and one dipshit comments because you're doing something to an import compact. A lightly tuned compact will do some amazing things if you're a good driver.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »
"And be prepared for a million and one dipshit comments because you're doing something to an import compact."

I'm busting his nutz because:

1. We're friends (isn't that the best reason of all? Smiley )

2. I don't really know squat about cars (which makes it ironic), and

3. I've got to get some revenge for the beatings I take at the hands of his daughter...

Cheesy

OK, that said, I know where Chris is coming from. While great cars, the Camrys are about as vanilla as you can get, but what even schlubs like me realize is that because it's a family car, it's decked out for comfort, and there's a LOT of performance, on many levels, that can be coaxed from one of these critters.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 03:37:28 PM »
1. Kanji stickers.  Lots of 'em.

2. Big honkin' wing on the trunk lid.  The higher, the better, try to make it even with the roofline.

3.  Blue LED winshield washer nozzles.  Those alone will allow you to break the speed of sound at sea level.

4.  A fart can.  The more annoying and loud, with the biggest diameter exhaust tip, the better.  You want no back pressure at all on your exhaust valves.  Think constipated bumblebee.

5. Slam 'er with camber.  Make certain it rides so low, and the camber is so boogered up, that you're only wearing on the inside edge of the tires. That's handling!

6. 20" or bigger rims, with tires so low profile that they have no room for air inside.  Think lumber wagon ride, thin rubber bands over a big metal wheel.  Bling.

7. High-amperage elctric air induction boost blowers.  They don't really add much horsepower via the intake air squeeze, but look impressive, especially if you have to add an extra gel cell battery or two.  Nobody's yet figured out that if you simply geared those larger electric intake blowers that use jet engine starters to the driveshaft or crankshaft pulley with a simple electric or one-way clutch you'd realize some extra on-demand oomph.

Of course, Chris isn't a riceboy.  I know that, and he knows that.  But if ever there's a time that Coca-Cola comes out of my nose, it's when the ricers pull alongside me on the road.

The ceramic brake pads are quite nice.  I put a new set on my '01 S-10 and was immediately rewarded with better stopping power, less brake dust on my rims, and they appear to be somewhat more fade resistant as they get hot.  My stopping tests get somewhat stymied, however, because the quirky S-10/Sonoma/Hombre anti-lock brakes do their thing pretty soon in the whole braking sequence. (The way they pulse the brakes makes you feel like you've lost control)

I'll agree about better sway bars and shocks.  I just converted the same S-10 pickup to the Chevy ZQ-8 package, with bigger front sway bar, rear sway bar, anti-hop shock absorber tying the differential to the chassis (like the older panhard rods), extra frame rail crossmember ahead of the rear axle, Bilstein shocks, and quick ratio steering box. (2-3/4 turns lock-to-lock) Late model '82 Corvette rims and Dayton Daytona H-series unidirectional tires finished the package. I left the stock 5-speed tranny alone.  Wow!  Now it kinda reminds me of my old VW GTI, albeit with oversteer, I wonder if they let small pickups into SCCA?  Pretty obvious I just paid off the loan on the truck. Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »
I'd reccomend a spoiler and underbody lights.  That'll add at LEAST 30 horses.  Put one of those fart cans on the exhaust, and you'll be smoking everyone off the line.

Tongue
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 04:10:44 PM »
What, no neon lights under the frame?

(Oh sure, NOW I read jevnk's post rolleyes )
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 04:37:06 PM »
Oooh, how about this...put in some gas and drive it to your destination.  If it ain't already broke, don't break it.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
Daniel, speaking of short throw shifters, do you know where I can find one for the 5th Gen Camry?  All I've seen is for previous models.  Like most Toyotas, the shifter has a rather long throw.  Even though it's been 10 years since I've driven it, I still shift like I'm in my Beetle with the Scat "Dragfast" shifter (throw like flipping a light switch).

I'll have to give the ceramic pads a closer look.  They sound good and everybody seems to be satisfied with theirs.

The tires and wheels will come when the current tires are ready to replace.  Judging by the tread, I have a year or more on that.  The struts will remain stock until they too need replacing.

No lights, no fartcan mufflers, no HP stickers, etc.  I'm focusing solely on handling and stopping (because that will actually help in daily life).

I noticed an odd sensation on the way home today.  As I was exiting I66 via the cloverleaf at RT234, the road was empty ahead of me, so I gave it some gas.  As I rounded the downhill exit at about 50mph, I noticed a sensation from the rear that felt like the rear end trying to push out while the front seemed to want to turn in tighter.  Nothing actually happened and the tires didn't even chirp, but I could "feel" it.  That sounds like classic oversteer to me, which is odd because a front wheel drive car is supposed to tend towards understeer.  This Camry has the lighter 4cyl engine which gives it less understeer (theoretically).  I'm reconsidering the rear swaybar for now since it would add more tendency towards oversteer.  I did go ahead and order the strut brace since at worst it'll just be inexpensive underhood bling.  It may help.

Anyway, I don't want to turn it into an autocross rig, I just want to tighten it up a bit.

The way they pulse the brakes makes you feel like you've lost control
I hate ABS.  I know how to and actually do pump my brakes in a panic situation, I don't need the car doing it for me.  My 4Runner has them and it throws me off every time I drive in snow.  Luckily, the Camry doesn't.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 07:47:04 PM »
What about rechipping the computer for a different engine performance band?

Is that an option with the Camry?