Author Topic: Help me "pimp my auto"...  (Read 7307 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Help me "pimp my auto"...
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 08:24:40 PM »
"What happens if you jam a little nerf football really really hard into a fartcan exhaust?"

Good question. I'll let you know next week. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »
Tyres, springs and shock absorbers. Preferably adjustable for compression, rebound and spring preload(got spoilt by sportsbike suspension Smiley ). Then have fun fiddling Smiley. That's where I'd spend my money. Plus points include the fact that you can't see the mod so no "rice boy" appelations come your way. In my experience strut braces varied in usefullness/noticable improvement depending on what car they were in. For example, my A series manta with a 2 litre lump in it benefited a great deal, more positive response to steering input, straighter tracking under accelleration etc. I figured this was down to a 1970 chassis designed for 80bhp ish being asked to cope with 150ish. A mostly standard 1999 Nissan 200 on the other hand evidenced no noticable improvement. Pays your money and takes your pick on that one me thinks.

+1 on the dislike of ABS. We've just bought a new suzuki swift and the abs is horrible for me. It cuts in just as I'm beginning to moderate the pressure on the pedal and flummuxes me for a second. Combine that with a VERY softly sprung front end that runs out of travel under hard braking or violent lane changes at highway speed due to a shedding load in front me and I had to take a moment on the shoulder to do some breathing exercises. I can only describe the feeling as like riding an elephant on marshmallow ice skates down the cresta run. Its brand new so the wife will not allow me to do anything that may void the warranty. I just want the peugeot 306 back Sad.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 01:26:03 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
What about rechipping the computer for a different engine performance band?
Is that an option with the Camry?
I think it is an option, but I'm not dissatisfied with the engine's performance.  Sure, more is better, but what I have is enough.  For most Japanese cars, I think you have to send the ECU to the chip company so they can reprogram it for you.

Tyres, springs and shock absorbers.
That's what I had in mind.  Maybe not springs, but definately an upgrade to the struts when that's due.  Same for tires (Not sure what a "tyre" is...).  I plan to be subtle with all my changes.  No 2" drop springs, race struts, or 45 series tires, just minor tweaks to "tighten" things up a bit.

BTW, I read somewhere last night that the Camry SE (sport version) comes with a strut tower brace, so maybe there is some usefulness there.

Chris

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 01:55:46 AM »
It's the english word you upstart colonial.

I'm with you on the subtle though, less attention from the constabulary and less questions from SWMBO. There is something to be said for AP brake disks the size of dinner plates as well.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 02:02:05 AM »
A couple of places to check out:
http://www.camryforums.com/
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/f15
If the answers aren't already there, then you have some like-minded folks to bounce some Qs off of. Be forewarned, however, that you are going to get a lot of "16y/o, will 22's look good on my ride" crap, as well.

Generally speaking, the best handling mods are going to be expensive; coil-over conversion,  50 or 45 series tires on lightweight wheels, tunable swaybars, etc. I don't know enough about Camrys to know whether or not a strut brace will help much, but hey, it can't hurt and looks good too.

Also check out www.tirerack.com . They have a selector feature that will allow you to see what their wheels will look like on your car.
ETA: AutoZone has carbon-metallic pads for the Camry.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 02:06:35 AM »
Thanks Gary!

I knew about Toyotanation, but I hadn't found camryforums yet.

I hear ya on the 16yo 22" rim thing... rolleyes

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 05:09:37 AM »
"It's the english word you upstart colonial."

How's that empire doing?

Oh, SNAP!

Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 05:20:04 AM »
It's time to...unpimp...your...empire!

Tongue

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »
No and No.

I'm not spending more on wheels than I spent on the entire car, especially if they're that ugly.

I found some tasteful 5spoke alloys at Tirerack that are 16x7 with a +50 offset (same as factory) and weigh 16lbs.  At $82 each, they're well within budget.  I'll buy the tires from them at the same time and not have to take them out somewhere for installation.  I could probably sell the factory steel wheels with whatever's left of the existing tires for a couple hundred or so, putting my total investment at about the same level as locally purchased tires alone.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 06:45:55 AM »
HOLY *expletive deleted*it!

$12,500 to $19,500 depending on tire size?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 07:09:26 AM »

look, if you are not going to buy 20 K buck rims for your ride
then you obviously have no idea what it takes to make the folks in NVA notice your daddy-liciousness

come on homie, you gots ta be a player to roll in the game
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2006, 07:11:25 AM »
Ya!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//snap.jpglook, if you are not going to buy 20 K buck rims for your ride
then you obviously have no idea what it takes to make the folks in NVA notice your daddy-liciousness
come on homie, you gots ta be a player to roll in the game
I'm far too white and square to understand what you just said.  

Edit to correct spelling mistake.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 08:18:05 AM »
"I'm far to white and square..."

Yo yo yo!

You know it, Dog!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
thats what i love about the VW campaign
They absorb the GhettoPimpSpeak
and mutate it, so an up tight sprockets teuton asks
"yo-mikey-wantusto-unpimp-thisthing?-letmehear-yousay-Vat"
and the pimper is clueless

the tables are turned and the jabber speakers are foiled
cue the WE coyote wreckingball

Wink

we are DEVO!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2006, 09:40:36 AM »

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 12:29:34 PM »
Are you guys this wierd on a daily basis, or is it just an APS thing?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
LOL...some of us may be a few fries short of a happy meal, but who's counting?

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
Quote from: Azrael256
Are you guys this wierd on a daily basis, or is it just an APS thing?
Daily basis.  What's your point? Tongue

Chris

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »
Oh, nothing.  Just curious.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
Uhm...

Excuse me, Azrael.

In order to participate in this conversation, you must be wearing a pancake on your head.

NOW PUT THE PANCAKE ON YOUR HEAD OR GET THE HELL OUT!

Smiley

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »
i turned pro along time ago

i now write off my pancakes as a business attire expense

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »
while not at all orginal, and pry been mentioned, pull the body off the camry, roll the ol' chasis out, and roll a late 60's smallblock camaro chasis back in its place.  bolt the toyoder body back on and enjoy.  no one will be the wiser. Wink

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2006, 10:06:29 PM »
Pancake, check.  Is it cheating if I secure it with duct tape?  I don't think I can balance this thing up there all day.