Author Topic: Help me "pimp my auto"...  (Read 7309 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Help me "pimp my auto"...
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2006, 02:13:25 AM »
Quote from: baus44
while not at all orginal, and pry been mentioned, pull the body off the camry, roll the ol' chasis out, and roll a late 60's smallblock camaro chasis back in its place.  bolt the toyoder body back on and enjoy.  no one will be the wiser. Wink
I prefer reliability.

Is it cheating if I secure it with duct tape?
Not at all!

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2006, 02:37:22 AM »
Foil faced duct tape only.

That way you get the anti-brain-control-wave benefits, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2006, 05:26:11 AM »
oh the simple joy of having my daughter infect the 3rd grade with:
"OH Schnap!"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2006, 05:58:56 AM »
"OH Schnap!"

Did you send enough pancakes for everyone in the class? Smiley

In 8th grade one teacher always made the "Did you bring enough for everyone in the class" comment to anyone who was eating or chewing gum.

He caught Adelle chewing gum one day and asked the standard question...

"Why yes I did," she said, and pulled out several of those huge packs of Juicy Fruit.

He was NOT pleased! Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:41 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
"OH Schnap!"
What's funny is that's an old saying that dates back to at least when I was a sophomore in High School, about 1988 or so...

Chris

...has left the building.

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »
Mike - I know you guys are friends and I know that mtnbkr's daughter will probably kick you ass if you make fun of her dad's car Wink

Chris - Which rims/tires were you looking at at the Tire Rack? I was up there not too long ago getting a set of Kumho ASXs put on my Honda. TR rocks! The owner/founder of the company was in their massive garage putting my tires on Smiley Also, I think TRD makes a short shift for your car but I'm not certain. If I were you, I'd start with lightweight rims/ultra high performance all season tires, short shift kit, and then suspension work.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »
Daniel,

I currently have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on steel rims.  The tires look nearly new.

I'm considering these tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+V4S&partnum=06VR6V4S&index=1&vIndex=3
The specs look good and seem to match my needs without going overboard.  I feel comfortable with Yokohama and have Yokos on my truck now.  I would be getting the 205/60-16 size.

And possibly one of the following two rims.  Which one I pick is determined by the offset I'll need.  I can't seem to find a good solid answer on the offset of the factory rims.
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&initialPartNumber=GD4602S&sizeIndex=1&wheelIndex=83&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&showRear=null
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&initialPartNumber=KSE976601S&sizeIndex=0&wheelIndex=90&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&showRear=null

I'm not too stuck on any one type of rim as long as it does the job and isn't too expensive.  I'd even go for factory alloys for a good price.  BTW, regarding cast vs forged, is it that big of a deal for a street car?  The only vehicle I've owned with alloys is my 4Runner.  No issues there, but I have several inches of rubber between the rim and the road.

I agree on the wheels-shifter-suspension idea.  That's basically where I'm headed.  I like the overall ride and I think simply upgrading the wheels and tires will make a huge difference, probably all that I need.  TRD makes a shifter for Camrys, but it's for the previous generation.  I can't seem to find any info that'll tell me if it'll fit mine.  TWM makes one as well.  Oddly enough, they say it'll fit up to 2001 (prev gen) and 2005+ (same gen as mine), but they leave out 2002-2004.  I've sent them a message, but I haven't heard back yet.  As a plus, the TWM is half the price of the TRD model because it's just the shifter rod and not the entire frame.  It should be easier to install...

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
Uniroyal Tiger Paws scare the daylights out of me.  They were factory standard on my 2001 S-10.  Even when maneuvering at parking lot speeds, especially when turning into a parking place, they would squeal like I was Mario Andretti rocketing out of the pit stops. Every now and then they would actually cause understeer when there was gravel or dirt in a given parking lot!  Do yourself a favor and at least get something with an "A" traction rating.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
I have a set of Michelin X-4s (IIRC) on my Subaru right now.

On certain surfaces in low-speed turns they squeal like banshees, but I don't think I've ever had a better set of tires for sheer road grip on crappy surfaces.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2006, 11:59:43 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Uniroyal Tiger Paws scare the daylights out of me.  They were factory standard on my 2001 S-10.  Even when maneuvering at parking lot speeds, especially when turning into a parking place, they would squeal like I was Mario Andretti rocketing out of the pit stops. Every now and then they would actually cause understeer when there was gravel or dirt in a given parking lot!  Do yourself a favor and at least get something with an "A" traction rating.
Dunno if they've changed the composition or not, but these seem to handle ok.  I took the large sweeping exit from I66 to Rt234 in Manassas at 50mph the other day and couldn't get the tires to make a bit of noise.  I've done that on a few other exit ramps and got the same handling.  I haven't gotten a bit of noise out of them yet.  I wouldn't put them on again, but I'm not replacing them just yet.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
check out ebay for rims

i took a pass on ebay tires but deals are out there
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »
Already looking there.  I watched an auction on a set of 16x6.5 Toyota Camry rims close today to see where the market was.  $305 closing with $80 shipping.  Not great, but not too bad either.  When I get closer to buying wheels, I'll be watching that stuff like a hawk.

Chris

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2006, 05:34:51 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Daniel,

I currently have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on steel rims.  The tires look nearly new.

I'm considering these tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+V4S&partnum=06VR6V4S&index=1&vIndex=3
The specs look good and seem to match my needs without going overboard.  I feel comfortable with Yokohama and have Yokos on my truck now.  I would be getting the 205/60-16 size.

And possibly one of the following two rims.  Which one I pick is determined by the offset I'll need.  I can't seem to find a good solid answer on the offset of the factory rims.
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&initialPartNumber=GD4602S&sizeIndex=1&wheelIndex=83&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&showRear=null
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&initialPartNumber=KSE976601S&sizeIndex=0&wheelIndex=90&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&showRear=null

I'm not too stuck on any one type of rim as long as it does the job and isn't too expensive.  I'd even go for factory alloys for a good price.  BTW, regarding cast vs forged, is it that big of a deal for a street car?  The only vehicle I've owned with alloys is my 4Runner.  No issues there, but I have several inches of rubber between the rim and the road.

I agree on the wheels-shifter-suspension idea.  That's basically where I'm headed.  I like the overall ride and I think simply upgrading the wheels and tires will make a huge difference, probably all that I need.  TRD makes a shifter for Camrys, but it's for the previous generation.  I can't seem to find any info that'll tell me if it'll fit mine.  TWM makes one as well.  Oddly enough, they say it'll fit up to 2001 (prev gen) and 2005+ (same gen as mine), but they leave out 2002-2004.  I've sent them a message, but I haven't heard back yet.  As a plus, the TWM is half the price of the TRD model because it's just the shifter rod and not the entire frame.  It should be easier to install...

Chris
Those Avids are sweet tires. I think you'll be pleased with them. The Tiger Paws that you have on there now are friggin' hockey pucks! The rim links didn't work so can you tell me which make/rim you're looking at. Regarding cast vs. forged I don't think you'll notice any difference on your car as long as the weight is right.

That is weird that no one makes a short shift for the '03. I'll ask around and see if I can find one.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2006, 07:03:48 AM »
Sport Edition D4 Silver Paint: 16x7 Cast Construction, 16lbs, +50mm offset. (visual favorite) $89 each
Sport Edition F6 Silver Paint: 16x7 Cast Construction, 18.5lbs, +42mm offset $87 each
Kazera KZ-S Silver Paint: 16x7 Low Pressure Cast/Shot Peened, 17lbs, +50mm offset (least favorite visually) $119 each

I'm also shopping around for some factory Toyota alloys.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »
Hey Chris,

I'm just wondering...

Does pimping your auto include a custom, hardshell diaper bag and a nook holder?

Just wondering... Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »
Regarding cast vs. forged I don't think you'll notice any difference on your car as long as the weight is right.
I didn't think I'd notice a difference in driving, but I wasn't sure about strength.  It's hard to get an honest opinion on car forums, everybody's an autocrosser or professional driver, so everybody has to have the best...  What I hear that keeps me concerned are comments about cast rims breaking/cracking easily over common road hazards like potholes and the like.  I've never known anyone to break an alloy factory wheel, but I don't know if they're cast or forged.

Does pimping your auto include a custom, hardshell diaper bag and a nook holder?
That's stage 2 pimping.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »
I think my wheels are cast and I hit one hell of a pothole last year doing about 75 MPH.

My head actually hit the roofliner and I almost lost control and ended up in oncoming traffic.

No damage that I can tell.

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2006, 07:47:05 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Regarding cast vs. forged I don't think you'll notice any difference on your car as long as the weight is right.
I didn't think I'd notice a difference in driving, but I wasn't sure about strength.  It's hard to get an honest opinion on car forums, everybody's an autocrosser or professional driver, so everybody has to have the best...  What I hear that keeps me concerned are comments about cast rims breaking/cracking easily over common road hazards like potholes and the like.  I've never known anyone to break an alloy factory wheel, but I don't know if they're cast or forged.

That's stage 2 pimping.

Chris
The Sport Editions are decent rims. I don't think that you're going to break a good quality cast wheel. IIRC, nearly all factory alloys are cast.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
No damage that I can tell.
Cool.  My parents have had alloy wheels on some of their cars stretching back as much as 16 years with no problems.  I've only had them on the 4Runner, but like I've mentioned before, it has substantially more rubber to protect the rims.

The Sport Editions are decent rims. I don't think that you're going to break a good quality cast wheel. IIRC, nearly all factory alloys are cast.
That's good to know, thanks.  The Sport Edition D4s are my first choice and pretty close to factory alloys.  The only concern I have left is the offset.  Factory offset on 6" wide wheels is +50, as is the offset on the D4s, but I don't know if I'll need something different to compensate for the extra inch of width.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
What are the tires on the Foreskin? 215s?

The tires on my Outback are 205s...

The only broken alloy rim I've ever seen was on a coworker's Jeep Comanche. He crabbed sideways on icy roads trying to to avoid hitting a car in front of him and kissed the curb with a rear wheel. The curb split the rim around the bead area. Instant flat.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
Assuming you mean the 4Runner, it has 265/75-16s.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »
Well, I certainly don't mean your Johnson.

I didn't think the tires on that thing looked that big.

Must be all the other pimping you've done on it that makes them look small. Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »
They aren't all that big, they're only 32" tires, which is small in the 4x4 world.  

What pimping would that be?  Other than the brush guard and offroad lights (both added by the prev owner), it's mostly stock.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
"What pimping..."

Well, there's the gold trim package, the highly personalized license plates, the baby spittle, cheerios, nooks, sippycups...  

I thought you put that brush guard and lights on...

I guess maybe you did tell me that you didn't do those features, but I probably forgot after your daughter beat me over the head with a jack handle.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2006, 11:02:57 AM »
The gold trim package is a factory offering.  The plates are my wife's fault.  The spittle, cheerios, nooks, and cups are the result of "you know who...". Smiley

The brush guard and lights were from the prev owner.  All I did was hook up the lights (they were mounted but not wired.

Chris