Author Topic: Sad... Scout leader killed by knife-toting psycho  (Read 7339 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Sad... Scout leader killed by knife-toting psycho
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
it turns into an hour-long regurgitation of the same tired conversation that I'm sure you guys have had dozens of times as well.

No, not really.

Maybe a funny look, maybe a "what caliber?" question, or maybe a "that's cool" comment.  =)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
After all, aren't all good scouts told to "Be prepared"

Beat me to it.

Where I take my kids hiking along the WI/MI border, I won't go out without at least a .45 on the hip. Bears, Cougars, wolves, nogoodniks are present. The odds of an attack are very remote, but then again so is my ability to keep a bear from mauling one of my kids with a stick.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »
Add feral dogs to the list, and rabid animals as well.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
No, not really.

Maybe a funny look, maybe a "what caliber?" question, or maybe a "that's cool" comment.  =)

I'm guessing you have a demeanor that (coupled with the gun) scares off the harmlessly annoying. Too bad for you, that it doesn't work over the internet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
I'm guessing you have a demeanor that (coupled with the gun) scares off the harmlessly annoying. Too bad for you, that it doesn't work over the internet.

Best internetz I've read all day! :lol:

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »

Yeah, otherwise I'd have this whole forum to myself  :P   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Safe-Avoid-Danger-Backcountry/dp/0972575820

Buy a copy and loan it to anyone you know who is outdoorsy but "iffy" on self-defense mindset, awareness and the idea of being armed in the backcountry.

Michael Bane is a long-time skilled extreme outdoor sportsman as well as a respected gun writer and the host of "The Best Defense" and a couple other shooting shows on the Outdoor channel.

It's got great stuff that doesn't push guns (the first edition was published by "The Mountaineers", not a noted "pro-gun" group, back before CCW was as widespread) but rather awareness and planning and then brings guns into that conversation as a tool to consider (moreso in this newer edition). 

He points out that a lot of "wilderness", like the trail the scout leader was on, is only a short distance from "civilization" and thus as accessible to the bad guys as the good.  He also notes that predators follow their prey and as more people go into the backcountry the human predators follow them there as well.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good read and a great loaner on awareness and self-defense mindset in general and in the outdoors in particular this is the book.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:23 AM »
Probably less dangerous in the "wilderness" than in most areas of "civilization".

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »
Probably less dangerous in the "wilderness" than in most areas of "civilization".

I play a game with my son when we go hiking.
I point out different things along the way such as an orange mushroom, animal droppings, an odd looking tree, etc.
Then I play a game called "dad has a broken leg."
I hand him the truck keys and tell him its going to be dark in and hour and half and he needs to find his way back to the truck and beep the horn to try to get someone's attention.
I would follow him and give him hints, such as the way the grass is broken when we walked through, or which way we turned when we saw the orange mushroom.
He did really well until he came to a 4 way intersection of deer trails that we had walked on. I put a bit more pressure on him and told him he needs to make a decision and he can always backtrack and try a different direction. He got frustrated and laid down the ultimate trump card: "Dad, I have to poop."

:laugh:

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »

I guess that's it.  Sigh. ;/

Went on a hike today in a Wilderness area behind Cottonwood.  Took 5 others, 3 guys and 2 gals.  1 of the wimmins was all itchy over it.

I put on my 4" Redhawk, in holster, when I got out of the truck.  We all rally up at the trailhead and she asks:
-Is that a gun?  --Yes.
-Is it real?   --Yes.
-Is it loaded?  --Yes.
-Why do you have that?

And I gave her a brief but patient and thorough response: 

--I've had several instances in the back country where safety would have been enhanced by having a gun available, including run ins with predators.  But, today, most likely, it's just going to be a weight on my hip all day.

She brought it up several more times through the hike.  It thoroughly rocked her assumptions, that I was carrying it without a safety of any type. :laugh:  All I told her was that 99% of all revolver designs don't have safeties at all, when she asked.

Bleh. 

We even met a USFS ranger on the trail, which is pretty rare around here.  She left the subject alone after the ranger didn't so much as bat an eyelash at my sidearm.

Wimmins.  Hoplophobic wimmins.  Argh.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »
I guess that's it.  Sigh. ;/

Went on a hike today in a Wilderness area behind Cottonwood.  Took 5 others, 3 guys and 2 gals.  1 of the wimmins was all itchy over it.

I put on my 4" Redhawk, in holster, when I got out of the truck.  We all rally up at the trailhead and she asks:
-Is that a gun?  --Yes.
-Is it real?   --Yes.
-Is it loaded?  --Yes.
-Why do you have that?

--I've had several instances in the back country where safety would have been enhanced by having a gun available, including run ins with predators.  But, today, most likely, it's just going to be a weight on my hip all day.

She brought it up several more times through the hike.  It thoroughly rocked her assumptions, that I was carrying it without a safety of any type. :laugh:  All I told her was that 99% of all revolver designs don't have safeties at all, when she asked.

Bleh. 

We even met a USFS ranger on the trail, which is pretty rare around here.  She left the subject alone after the ranger didn't so much as bat an eyelash at my sidearm.

Wimmins.  Hoplophobic wimmins.  Argh.

You done good teaching, hopefully, but the icing on the cake that made it "okay" for her was more than likely the USFS ranger.  It will be expected that you carry from now on.  At some point you might want to ask her if she wants go to learn to shoot.  Each one-teach one and all.  "Like to walk it a while, maybe
bring the word to them as need it told."  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

[/Woodrow Call]

;)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »

"You're not in Schaumburg anymore"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
I was once asked by a boy what you should be prepared for.  As always, the proper response is "for whatever happens."

The correct answer is "for any old thing."  Crime evidently doesn't fit that definition.

The scouting museum here is posted.  I'm done with scouting.