Author Topic: "Experienced" Backpacker Lost for 3 1/2 weeks  (Read 7294 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: "Experienced" Backpacker Lost for 3 1/2 weeks
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
If the cat was still alive there probably wasn't much to start with.

how much peyote could a cat use? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
the cat was probably piling tasty mice at her feet and angry she wasn't making a stir fry.
I almost always carry some kind of lighter in case I stray off the beaten path, a fire always attracts attention.

Yep. Start a good small fire with wood and kindling, in an appropriate clearing. Then slowly put mildly wet leaves on top. PLENTY of smoke. I may get fined, but worth it to get hauled back to civilization.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »
So, a GPS would NOT have lead her out?

Only if she had the GPS turned on and tracking her way in in the first place with her vehicle marked as a waypoint. 99% of GPS users probably don't have a clue how to enter coordinates from a map, either. Without a waypoint punched in, a GPS just basically shows "You Are Here".

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Only if she had the GPS turned on and tracking her way in in the first place with her vehicle marked as a waypoint. 99% of GPS users probably don't have a clue how to enter coordinates from a map, either. Without a waypoint punched in, a GPS just basically shows "You Are Here".

Yet (and I know you're not arguing the point), 15 minutes with the "get started" section of the manual would alleviate this problem. And a lot of the simpler units have fairly clearly marked "waypoint" and "goto waypoint" buttons. You don't even have to navigate a menu. Again, I'm not promoting GPS as magical tech that will get someone home. If you use one, at least know the very simple basics. At some point personal responsibility has to come into play. It's unfair for someone to put people like Avenger at risk because they never used their GPS, got lost, turned it on, and said, "Hello Mr GPS, please guide me back to my car" and found out it's not a magic hand-holding device.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
I love the Gila Wilderness, backpacked there a couple times and would love to go back.

Have to be careful with fire there if there is a fire ban in affect, the place is a tinderbox. Remember firefighters do on occasion die fighting wilderness fires.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
It's unfair for someone to put people like Avenger at risk because they never used their GPS, got lost, turned it on, and said, "Hello Mr GPS, please guide me back to my car" and found out it's not a magic hand-holding device.

Folks shouldn't willfully put themselves in dangerous situations without any knowledge or preparation and expect others to risk their lives bailing them out. Accidents can happen, and that's completely different. There are classes for just about anything. From hiking to firearms to basketweaving. Folks should avail themselves to such classes or alternative sources before doing something dangerous. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Folks shouldn't willfully put themselves in dangerous situations without any knowledge or preparation and expect others to risk their lives bailing them out. Accidents can happen, and that's completely different. There are classes for just about anything. From hiking to firearms to basketweaving. Folks should avail themselves to such classes or alternative sources before doing something dangerous. 

Basketweaving is dangerous? I never knew!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
Basketweaving is dangerous? I never knew!

It is when you do it right.

=D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
It is when you do it right.

=D

I don't want any of your detcord baskets, thank you.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought