Author Topic: Amazing sight on my way home yesterday...  (Read 7289 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Amazing sight on my way home yesterday...
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:48:35 AM »
Saw one of the most amazing things I've ever seen yesterday on the way home.

I pulled into a gas station and there was a Lamborghini Aventador at the pumps. You occasionally see one in PA.

I got back onto 11-15 heading towards DC, and a few miles down the road I was suddenly being passed by what I'd estimate to be between $20 to $30 million in high end sports cars...

At least 6 Lamborghinis, mostly Aventadors but I think one Diablo, a bunch of high-end Mercedes and BMWs, several Rolls Royce touring cars, I THINK one Aston Martin, Porsches, Ferraris (I THINK one was a Ferrari 459 California) several Calloway-modified Corvettes...

And most amazing of all?

The only Pagani Huayra I've ever seen in real life.

Most of them had Cannonballrun.com decals on them. Check out the page, it's really interesting. Not much information, but it's an actual road rally. They stopped in Hershey overnight, and were heading south.

There were license plates from all over the country, and a couple of which appeared to have temporary US tags and European plates.

I'm not much of a car guy, but I'll admit, seeing that much automotive bling was something else. I just wish that I had see them parked somewhere so I could have gotten some pictures.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
Re: Amazing sight on my way home yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:02:03 AM »
I had to look up Pagani Huayra.  My oh my.

I guess it isn't an issue if you can afford a car that cost over a million dollars, but I always wonder about insurance when a door ding can cost more than a used car.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »
A set of tires for one of those costs more than a lot of used cars...

The only car that I was hoping to see, but didn't, was a Bugatti Veyron. Those are incredible.

I was also kind of surprised that I didn't see any McLarens.

The only reason I even knew about most of those cars is because a couple of years ago I started watching Top Gear.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
A set of tires for one of those costs more than a lot of used cars...

The only car that I was hoping to see, but didn't, was a Bugatti Veyron. Those are incredible.

I was also kind of surprised that I didn't see any McLarens.

The only reason I even knew about most of those cars is because a couple of years ago I started watching Top Gear.

Never seen a Veyron, but I saw a McLaren P1 (I think) outside of REI in Southlake, TX.  Man, that is a sexy car.

I'm not a car guy either, but Top Gear is a great show.  I hope The Grand Tour is as good as Top Gear.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
Cars like that are a regular occurrence at Road America. There are usually a couple of them parked in the paddock, and it's common for them to be out on the track during touring.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
It's what's left of "The Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Race" and what the movie "Cannonball Run" was very loosely based off of. It used to be a balls-to-the-wall underground coast to coast race with pretty much no rules until common sense prevailed. Do some digging, the stories are chilling and at the same time great. Insanely stupid to be sure but you have to admire their testicular fortitude and ingenuity.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
MOLON LABE!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
I see they were headed away from Ohio... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »
According to the one website I found, they were going from Hershey to White Sulphur Springs, West By God...

What do those two locations have in common? High end luxury resorts.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
Cars like that are a regular occurrence at Road America. There are usually a couple of them parked in the paddock, and it's common for them to be out on the track during touring.

I once saw about 40 corvettes in a row, along with a lot of exotics, turn onto HWY 23 leaving Road America. Its the only place I've ever seen a Shelby Cobra, let alone 3 of them parked next to each other.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
I once saw about 40 corvettes in a row, along with a lot of exotics, turn onto HWY 23 leaving Road America. Its the only place I've ever seen a Shelby Cobra, let alone 3 of them parked next to each other.

You should have been to Road America when they had the Shelby 40th anniversary. Most of the original cars that still run were in attendance, They also had a pair of Daytona Coupes, and Carroll was there. Yes, they had time reserved on the track. That was amazing. It doesn't seem like 12 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:56:13 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »
According to the one website I found, they were going from Hershey to White Sulphur Springs, West By God...

What do those two locations have in common? High end luxury resorts.

Hershey PA also has the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum, which is always an amazing museum.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
Forgot about the museum.

As for Corvettes, I went to school in Carlisle, home of the annual Vette gathering. My friend brought his east a few years ago. Amazing array of cars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
I see occasional exotics around the Austin area - Ferrari is fairly common, and there's the occasional Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, and Ford GT. And a year or two back there were four Shelby Cobras at a stoplight next to me, at least two of which had "427" logos on the side. (Don't know if these were originals from the '60s or reproductions.)

And once I was passed by a line of exotics - about 7 or 8 - of which I only recognized half. They were moving above the posted limit as they went by.

Well above.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 05:08:50 PM »
You can tell you have a car fetish when your mouth gets dry when you hear certain names.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »
I lust after only a few:
#1, and surprisingly the least expensive, DeTomaso Pantera.
#2, AC/Shelby Cobra 289 CuIn, yes, the smaller engine. It handles better, doesn't have the overheating issues, is very streetable and can still be WICKED fast and fun!
#3, Ford GT40 with the Gurney Bubble because I'm 6'1" and because we all have to want at least ONE ridiculous car, right?
MOLON LABE!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:16 AM »
I lust after only a few:
#1, and surprisingly the least expensive, DeTomaso Pantera.
#2, AC/Shelby Cobra 289 CuIn, yes, the smaller engine. It handles better, doesn't have the overheating issues, is very streetable and can still be WICKED fast and fun!
#3, Ford GT40 with the Gurney Bubble because I'm 6'1" and because we all have to want at least ONE ridiculous car, right?

There's a Pantera in my area, I've seen it about a dozen times- two of the times it was broken down on the side of the freeway.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 12:09:30 AM »
There's a Pantera in my area, I've seen it about a dozen times- two of the times it was broken down on the side of the freeway.

I didn't say they were good cars, I said I lusted after one!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 05:54:52 AM »
"Don't know if these were originals from the '60s or reproductions."

Most likely reproductions. There are several companies that are making faithful reproductions.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »
Never seen a Veyron, but I saw a McLaren P1 (I think) outside of REI in Southlake, TX.  Man, that is a sexy car.

I'm not a car guy either, but Top Gear is a great show.  I hope The Grand Tour is as good as Top Gear.

There is a veyron and a few mclarens that live near me...the V was certainly surprising to see on the road

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
My closest encounter with an "exotic" was parking next to a Bentley convertible (with the top down) in the parking lot at a nearby Lowes.

Maybe not a Lambo or McLaren, but in my book, anything even slightly sporty and costing over $200k qualifies as "exotic."  (And I wager the Bentley was a LOT more comfortable to drive on a daily basis.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
"And I wager the Bentley was a LOT more comfortable to drive on a daily basis."

I've heard from more than a few people that Lambos are incredibly uncomfortable for long-haul driving, and many of the other high-end sports cars are equally bad. The Top Gear team has also commented at various times about how frighteningly uncomfortable some of the high-end sports cars are.

The sports and performance coupes are apparently much different, as they're designed to give both performance and comfort -- in essence a performance touring car. I've sat in one of the newer Rolls Phantom at a dealer lot a few years ago and it was INCREDIBLY comfortable. I suspect that the Bentley would be much the same.

Jeremy Clarkson, who is quite tall, has even commented on how comfortable his Mercedes AMG GLS is on long trips.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
A friend of mine had a close encounter with a Ferrari a little bit ago.  He's a firefighter and they had to cut the driver out of his new Ferrari. He said the rescue saw cut that body like butter, they even had to cut the dash and roll it up to get the driver out.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
I have seen some absolutely ridiculous cars being driven by wealthy Chinese students on our campus. High end luxury cars are a common sight in the residence hall parking lots but I have had to double take over some of the more exotic ones. Seeing a Mclaren parked next to the standard variety of suburban 10 year old hand me down SUVs was surprising. Pretty sure I saw a yellow Lotus around the same time and Teslas are becoming more common.

Once I had a brush with a Viper while riding my Zrx1200 after work. The very young driver nodded and gave the thumbs up while revving which I took to be the signal for a friendly run, but he did not appear committed after I redlined in 1st after a smooth launch. I figure it would have been a pretty fair match on the track if the kid knew what he was doing.