Author Topic: Amazing sight on my way home yesterday...  (Read 7288 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Amazing sight on my way home yesterday...
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »
I see a rolls around here frequently. Weird it only ever has one person in it.
I thought if you have the money for one of those things you have someone drive you around.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »
I see a rolls around here frequently. Weird it only ever has one person in it.
I thought if you have the money for one of those things you have someone drive you around.

I think the plan is to have a car that makes girls want to hop in the passenger seat. I guess it doesn't always work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
I've heard from more than a few people that Lambos are incredibly uncomfortable for long-haul driving, and many of the other high-end sports cars are equally bad. The Top Gear team has also commented at various times about how frighteningly uncomfortable some of the high-end sports cars are.
A lot of them  seem to be designed for "little people." When I was in high school, I had a chance to sit behind the wheel of a Saab Sonnet III. It was undriveable for me - the steering column was hitting my knees as I tried to work the brake, clutch, and gas pedal, while my neck was bent with my head firmly pressed against the headliner. And it didn't have a side door - it had a hatch in the side you had to crawl through to get in and out. I doubt anyone over 5 feet tall and 100 lbs could like driving that car.

I read that in the show Magnum, P.I. they had to specially modify the Ferrari that Tom Selleck drove, removing the adjustment mechanism and bolting the seat directly to the floor as far down and back as possible in order to accommodate the 6'4" Selleck. In one show his character was driving a Jaguar XKE which they didn't modify - the side doors didn't come much above his belt line - he made the car look like a kiddie car. (The story line also had the car running rough, backfiring, etc., which makes me think the producer or writer had an "issue" with Jaguar.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »
One of the car lots outside the gate in Baumholder had a Lotus Europa sitting on it.  I'd frequently drive past it going to the Provost Marshal's Office.  Finally, one day I stopped in and ask if I could check it out and go for a test drive.  The salesman sat there at his desk, looked at me and said "You're not going to buy it."

That's a sales technique I wasn't expecting, nor familiar with.

"Oh, why not?"  (Dammit, I'm an Officer in the US Army.  I think I know what I can and cannot afford !!! )

*Sigh*, "Okay, let me grab the keys."

So we go out, he opens the driver's side door and says "Get in".

Okay, so it's not the easiest thing in the world to get into, one needed to be a bit of a contortionist to climb in.

"Alright, now get out.", he says.

Okay, this really sucks.  I have to plant my left hand on the ground and twist my body to get out from behind the wheel and practically have to lay on my back on the ground to get out.

He just stands there and smiles. 

"Are you going to want to do that when it's raining, or cold, or there's snow on the ground?  No.  So if you want buy a car let's go in and talk about what you'd be looking for.  But if you REALLY want THIS car, I'll be more than happy to sell it to you, but I doubt that you will."

So I ended up buying a Saab 9000 for the ex-.   I got a 900 a year later. 

Lesson learned.  Never buy a 1970's British made car.  They were utter rubbish...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »
One of the car lots outside the gate in Baumholder had a Lotus Europa sitting on it.  I'd frequently drive past it going to the Provost Marshal's Office.  Finally, one day I stopped in and ask if I could check it out and go for a test drive.  The salesman sat there at his desk, looked at me and said "You're not going to buy it."

That's a sales technique I wasn't expecting, nor familiar with.

"Oh, why not?"  (Dammit, I'm an Officer in the US Army.  I think I know what I can and cannot afford !!! )

*Sigh*, "Okay, let me grab the keys."

So we go out, he opens the driver's side door and says "Get in".

Okay, so it's not the easiest thing in the world to get into, one needed to be a bit of a contortionist to climb in.

"Alright, now get out.", he says.

Okay, this really sucks.  I have to plant my left hand on the ground and twist my body to get out from behind the wheel and practically have to lay on my back on the ground to get out.

He just stands there and smiles. 

"Are you going to want to do that when it's raining, or cold, or there's snow on the ground?  No.  So if you want buy a car let's go in and talk about what you'd be looking for.  But if you REALLY want THIS car, I'll be more than happy to sell it to you, but I doubt that you will."

So I ended up buying a Saab 9000 for the ex-.   I got a 900 a year later. 

Lesson learned.  Never buy a 1970's British made car.  They were utter rubbish...

That was an awesome salesman.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
A friend of mine back in my SCCA racing days had a Lotus Europa. I was working as a front end man at the time (like I said, this was a WHILE back) and would align it for him. I never got to drive it because at 6'1" and weighing 235 lbs at that time, I was simply too big for the car! Even if I could physically get in and out, the chassis wasn't built to handle an occupant who weighed that much.

We worked on a LOT of race cars at my brothers shop. I actually miss those days...

Finished product at Road Atlanta

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
. . .

I also heard the wire harness and electrical components were from Lucas Electric, which went on to be the prime subcontractor for today's Samsung Galaxy 7 cell phone . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
I also heard the wire harness and electrical components were from Lucas Electric, which went on to be the prime subcontractor for today's Samsung Galaxy 7 cell phone . . .

x2
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
What was the head guy's title at Lucas Electric?

The Prince of Darkness.

Why do Brits drink warm beer?

Because Lucas makes refrigerators.

What does Lucas actually stand for?

Loose, unsoldered connections and splices.

Why did the EU Mars Lander go dark?

You really need answer to that one?

More...

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mtmorris/index3.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.