Main Forums > The Roundtable

Things I never knew - Voyager update

(1/7) > >>

Hawkmoon:
It's easy to lose track, but the Voyager 1 and 2 space missions -- which were launched in my lifetime -- are still active after an incredible 45 years. Putting that into perspective, a student could have begun work on the project as a recent graduate/intern, spent an entire career on the project, and have been retired for decades -- and the satellites are still sending data.

But not for much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlXDRsfYAA

K Frame:
OMG, it's V'ger!

JTHunter:
Don't forget - the Voyagers have less computing power than a simple smartphone.  ???  :O

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: JTHunter on August 08, 2022, 11:38:45 PM ---Don't forget - the Voyagers have less computing power than a simple smartphone.  ???  :O

--- End quote ---

Hell, I bet most microwaves nowadays have more.

Brad

kgbsquirrel:

--- Quote from: JTHunter on August 08, 2022, 11:38:45 PM ---Don't forget - the Voyagers have less computing power than a simple smartphone.  ???  :O

--- End quote ---

The onboard memory storage is a glorified eight-track tape deck.  "Continuous Loop Magnetic Tape."

That the solid state radios, thermocouples, etc. still work is amazing, but the fact that the memory bank is still working borders on Divine Intervention.  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version