Author Topic: Ann Coulter at her best, again  (Read 20645 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ann Coulter at her best, again
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
I'm the only guy on the Internet whose family did not single-handed win WWII 

Nope.  My grandpappy was a conscientious objector.  :)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
I suspect the number of detainees will drop as the troops in the field no longer bother to make any effort to capture these adherents of the religion of peace. That will tend to solve the detainee problem.

So... more terrorists will be killed in the field of battle, and less innocent camel-herders will be captured away from it? Why should I be concerned? Let's kill more terrorists.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »
In the good old days people like my uncle stormed the beach at Normandy and shot every Nazi they saw...period.

Wow.

That's probably the most ignorant thing I've seen posted on APS in a long time. 

Kinda makes all those WWII POW camps here in the states a figment of our collective imaginations, doesn't it?

Gunsmith, you may want to reconsider how you post here - seriously.  :|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
letters from my late uncle who died in France after surviving Normandy, are refreshingly politically incorrect.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:55:18 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
looking at history through our rose colored classes is very nice.

Fact: 400,000 POWs were housed in the Continental United States, and generally treated very well. That some people didn't take prisoners doesn't mean that this behavior was universal or even common.

And for the record, my Grandpa fought in WWII. On the Leningrad Front. He was one of these people who fought off Panzer tanks with one rifle per twenty men.

, for instance they assume planned parenthood founder M Sangar
was a nice progressive and against racism.

Progressives in Sanger's time were generally pro-eugenics. She held of course the views that Australian Aborigines [sp?] were inferior and suchlike, but she was not racist in the same sense, say, KKK members are. She respected people like MLK and spoke out against discrimination. While we can have legitimate disagreement on abortion, and I describe myself as very moderate in my views on this issue, it's not really fair to describe Sanger as racism in the sense that KKK membership was racist.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
Gunsmith, your late uncle would've been brought up on Articles of War (now known as UCMJ) charges had he executed enemy combatants offering to surrender, whether they were Nazis or otherwise. Bloodlust would have been no excuse, even back then.

Put that in your rose-colored pipe and smoke it.

IOW, it ain't PC.  It's the rules of engagement, and anybody who knows their Code of Conduct and Laws of Armed Conflict can give you a refresher in the application thereof.

Now, think twice, post once.   :mad:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
Actually, the solution to the detainee problem is simple.  Send them to a couple of hotels in India.  I hear they have some vacancies.  Another solution would be to assign a couple, three or four contributers to this thread as mentors and guardians and have the detainees move in with them. ;/
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
Nope.  My grandpappy was a conscientious objector.

Alrighty then, I am the only guy north of the Ohio River, who wears shoes, got past the 7th grade, and brushes and flosses multiple times a day, whose relative did not win multiple Medals of Honor and single-handedly win WWII.

That should narrow it down. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
She thinks Guantanamo is a health club, or what?  Or is this whole silly old fashioned notion of "trial and proof of guilt required for criminal punishment" that is the punch line?  I don't get the joke.

You're an exceptionally smart guy shootin'. Easy to tell from your writing style. You've got a different and bewildering world view than most here but even so...

I dare say that YOU do get it.

You just don't want to admit you get it.

That might unbewilder (is that even a word) that bewildering world view you have.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
Dang.  Even my grandfather was in the war, albeit he was in naval intelligence.  He died when my dad was 8, so I never got any war stories from him though.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
gunsmith is temporalily in a rotten mood, in denial, and is taking a break before he inserts foot deeper and suffers another banishment.

Dresden firebombing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:11:46 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Even saboteurs from Germany and Americans who were helping the Germans got trials back then to ensure that they were actually guilty of a crime...the good old days, I guess.

They got secret military tribunals, even the American born saboteurs hired by Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pastorius
Two of the Germans in New York, Dasch and Burger, decided to back out of the mission. Dasch went to Washington, D.C., and turned himself in to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He was dismissed as a crackpot by numerous agents, until he finally dumped his mission's entire budget of $84,000 on the desk of Assistant Director D.M. Ladd. At this point the defection was taken seriously and Dasch was interrogated for hours.[4] None of the others knew of the betrayal. Over the next two weeks, Burger and the other six were arrested, and all eight were put on trial before a seven-member military commission on specific instructions from President Franklin D. Roosevelt. They were charged with 1) violating the law of war; 2) violating Article 81 of the Articles of War, defining the offense of corresponding with or giving intelligence to the enemy; 3) violating Article 82 of the Articles of War, defining the offense of spying; and 4) conspiracy to commit the offenses alleged in the first three charges.

Lawyers for the accused, who included Lauson Stone and Kenneth Royall, attempted to have the case tried in a civilian court, but were rebuffed by the Supreme Court in Ex parte Quirin. The trial was held in the Department of Justice building in Washington. All eight defendants were found guilty and sentenced to death. Roosevelt commuted Burger's sentence to life and Dasch's to 30 years, because they had turned themselves in and provided information about the others. The others were executed on August 8, in the electric chair on the third floor of the District of Columbia jail and buried in a potter's field called Blue Plains in the Anacostia area of Washington. In 1948, President Harry S. Truman granted executive clemency to Dasch and Burger on the condition that they be deported to the American Zone of occupied Germany.

As for everyone's grandfather singlehandedly winning WWII, my grandfather didn't do a whole lot based on the records we have.  His brother was a Marine and might have seen more action, but I haven't seen him in years.  My wife's grandfathers, on the other hand, were both involved in Operation Overlord.  Her paternal grandfather loves to tell me stories about his time there, which are fascinating.  Her maternal grandfather, who passed away this past Sunday at 93, was severely wounded in France (I've seen his Purple Heart and other medals myself).

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:06 PM »
Sounds like gunsmith's dad used "Tommy" ROEs.

==============

Also, I think Coulter has a good point with regard to the dumbazz Libertarians.  They ARE idiots and deserve to be biatch-slapped early & often.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »

==============

Also, I think Coulter has a good point with regard to the dumbazz Libertarians.  They ARE idiots and deserve to be biatch-slapped early & often.

Better stupid than evil.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
My dad won the bronze star in combat in Europe as well as finally winding up a POW.  He never spoke much about the war, ever.  He died in '99 at the age of 93.  He made a tape in '97 that outlined his action from the day he was drafted till he mustered out.  Two tapes, both sides.  I listened to them after he was gone.  I have no words to describe what he went through.

Suffice to say that some keyboard kommando's today couldn't hold a candle to my dad and the men and women that were his compatriots.

It's easy to bloviate from the safety of your basement computer room.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 03:12:57 AM »

==============

"Tommy" ROEs

ok, what does that mean?
I never heard anything from my uncle, he died in France.
I always pictured him as heroic, my God! I do not think I could survive storming the beach at Normandy.

I deleted most my post, but I never claimed he won any medals or accomplished anything other then writing letters home, letters that if a modern soldier wrote would get him in a jam if they made it to the press.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »
They got secret military tribunals, even the American born saboteurs hired by Germany.

They were not "secret tribunals", as indicated by the fact that the Supreme Court heard the argument against them.  It's all considered in Ex Parte Quirin.

But yes, had the government decided to just give military trials modeled on the trials of those defendants, we wouldn't be here.  Note that the White House has maintained all along that it is under no duty to give any trial at all, in any form, to "enemy combatants" captured as part of the war on terror.  It also maintained that none of the POW/human rights conventions for captives in warfare applied.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 05:33:58 AM »
Actually, the solution to the detainee problem is simple.  Send them to a couple of hotels in India.  I hear they have some vacancies.

Nah, load them up on a nice yacht for a tour of the Somalian coastline.

I wonder if the pirates would take partial payment to get the yacht back...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 05:40:39 AM »
Nazism died with Hitler.  Islam cannot die with anyone's death.

Well, there is one guy...the last one.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
Alrighty then, I am the only guy north of the Ohio River, who wears shoes, got past the 7th grade, and brushes and flosses multiple times a day, whose relative did not win multiple Medals of Honor and single-handedly win WWII.

That should narrow it down. =D

Hey, other than the obsessive dental hygiene, we're twins.  :lol:

(I live right by St. Louis.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grey54956

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »
If they are fighting our forces in an organized attack, then they should qualify as military personnel.  If they are doing so out of uniform, they qualify as spies and sabatours.  Spies can be processed and executed with little difficulty under Geneva convention.  I believe that they are generally regarded as persona non grata.  The military tribunals should have been conducted to ensure that they in fact were spies and sabatours.  Release those who did not actively participate in action against the US.  Hang those found guilty.  End of story.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 01:48:01 PM »
"Tommy" ROEs

ok, what does that mean?
I never heard anything from my uncle, he died in France.
I always pictured him as heroic, my God! I do not think I could survive storming the beach at Normandy.

I deleted most my post, but I never claimed he won any medals or accomplished anything other then writing letters home, letters that if a modern soldier wrote would get him in a jam if they made it to the press.

google tommy roe and you get tommy lee jones "rules of engagement"

grumpyguido

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »
You Go Ann!
MSG, USA, RET

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »
"Tommy" ROEs

ok, what does that mean?

Okay, picture this:

Germans in fighting positions, fighting hard, as Germans are wont to do.

Their assailants are the Brits, AKA, "Tommies."

Germans, as stated, are fighting and continue to do so, up until to point where it is obvious the tommies are going to overrun their position.

At that point, the Germans drop weapons, step back from the parapet, and raise their arms in surrender.

Whereupon, the tommies, with bayonets mounted on SMLEs, shout, "Too late, chum," and run the Germans through the neck with their bayonets.

For more depth, google the following:
"too late, chum"

The concept of "right of storm" from ancient & medieval war is similar.

Also, John Keegan's Face of Battle* examines this.

* You have read this, I assume?  If not, you are just plain wrong.  Get in the right, ASAP.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »
Here is another explication of that concept, as well as psychological warfare by jihadis against the West:
http://www.mackenzieinstitute.com/2005/newsletter010105.htm
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton