Author Topic: Obama administrations "war" against Fox News  (Read 20736 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Obama administrations "war" against Fox News
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
Anyone else happy to see this?

I smell desperation...

Hopefully the reaction, the push back to Obama over reaching is something better than just more Republicans getting elected. Hopefully it will be the right kind of Republicans, the type with a constitutional/libertarian bent.

There have been numerous articles about this, Krauthammer has an article about it I read this morning

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/10/23/white_house_tactics_go_too_far.html

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Obama administrations "war" against Fox News
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
I think it could be a pivotal moment in the history of this (I hope and pray) one-term administration. The White House brought checkers strategy to a chess match, doing the one thing which would force the sympathetic media to take a stand in defense of their industry, not just Fox News. Juvenile and foolish.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
Attacking the very people who conned the stupid into voting for you in the first place. I never cease to be amazed at the arrogance and lack of sense this administration shows. Let's hope they keep it up until the MSM is no lenger getting tingly feelings in their special areas at the sight of Obama.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »
The White House brought checkers strategy to a chess match...

Not to criticize, but it looks more like a bar brawling strategy to me.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
SW:

Point taken. I was trying to illustrate that short term gain can bite you later. Breaking the U.S. Chamber of Commerce because they defied you on an agenda item is short-sighted when you might want their support two years hence. If your intent was to cow them into submission, fine, but resentful servants aren't reliable.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
I'm quite annoyed actually. 
Fox is horrible and needs to die in a fire, as long as MSNBC, and CNN closely follow.
Most TV news is about ratings, not news.  Fox caters to what conservatives "already know to be true" while MSNBC caters to what liberals "already know to be true".  Neither outlet does any real serious news gathering, and contribute to ignorance in this country in its watchers, increasing the empty echo chamber which is TV political coverage.

Not sure what Obama, or any other public figure can really do (like or hate 'em) but I can completely understand Obama here, even though I think he's overdoing it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
I kinda personally like Fox, but I find this hilarious. The same gang of people who is going to make Iran, Norkieland, Putin, etc. play nice is not even able to stage a credible battle against a few talking heads? Power, I can feel it. :lol:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »
I'm quite annoyed actually. 
Fox is horrible and needs to die in a fire, as long as MSNBC, and CNN closely follow.Most TV news is about ratings, not news.  Fox caters to what conservatives "already know to be true" while MSNBC caters to what liberals "already know to be true".  Neither outlet does any real serious news gathering, and contribute to ignorance in this country in its watchers, increasing the empty echo chamber which is TV political coverage.

Not sure what Obama, or any other public figure can really do (like or hate 'em) but I can completely understand Obama here, even though I think he's overdoing it.

I love Fox news. And, yes, it is preaching to the choir.

From the founding of our country, news has been even more aggressively partisan than it is now.

I truly wish we could return to that very brief period during which news was "objective".

Unfortunately, the media decided it wanted to use the trust it had built up as an objective reporting source in order to push a progressive/liberal/leftist agenda. Now that the trust has been lost, the left that has relied on that support is screaming and crying that the news isn't objective. (But, of course, it's just that BAD EVIL TERRIBLE right wing Fox that's responsible.)

Objective reporting is lost. The liberals killed it. They want it back? It's simple, STOP BEING BIASED.

Of course, ABC, NBC, and CBS are far too invested in liberal ideas to do that.

Thus, I prefer things stay as they are as to return to a liberal monopoly on "news".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:42:19 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
The problem is that neither the liberal nor the conservative journalists consider themselves biased. Exceptions would of course include the likes of Limbaugh, Alan Colmes, Hannity, etc. The columnists who are clueless about their biases would fill a phone book. I'll bet E.J. Dionne and Maureen Dowd think they're neutral.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

Do you actually think politicians should be "doing something" to make sure that journalism is "fair" or "credible"?

Do you like to see politicians respond to criticism in the press by simply declaring that the press is not credible? 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
Journalism never was fair, unbiased, or credible. For a while it was customary for journalists to pretend otherwise, but it never was actually true.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
Journalism never was fair, unbiased, or credible. For a while it was customary for journalists to pretend otherwise, but it never was actually true.

Quoted for truth. There are varying degrees of bias, but true, pure objectivity is something that does not exist.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »

Do you actually think politicians should be "doing something" to make sure that journalism is "fair" or "credible"?

Do you like to see politicians respond to criticism in the press by simply declaring that the press is not credible? 

If its the actual case, yes.  I absolutely dont think they should respond wth legislation or anything like that.

Having said that, I also think press treatment (wether I personally feel it's legitimate or not) of politicians is a reflection of discontent with the current system that is far more showing of basic problems with the system than anything else.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
The problem is that neither the liberal nor the conservative journalists consider themselves biased. Exceptions would of course include the likes of Limbaugh, Alan Colmes, Hannity, etc. The columnists who are clueless about their biases would fill a phone book. I'll bet E.J. Dionne and Maureen Dowd think they're neutral.

Actually, Limbaugh, Hannity and most of the other "conservative" talk show hosts don't consider themselves to be journalists. The ones I listen to pretty much all call themselves commentators and don't claim to be objective. Contrasted with the liberal commentators that claim to be unbiased journalists it ceased to be funny a little over a year and a half ago.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:23:22 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »
Media Matters jumps into the fray with statements that include the below quote (bold mine). Truly, Fox could pay the highest dollar advertising firm on the planet and not get publicity this good.

"The danger to progressive causes and the institution of journalism has become too significant to ignore," says the introduction to a memo by Media Matters founder David Brock. "

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1009/Media_Matters_coordinates_campaign_against_lethal_Fox.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
"The danger to progressive causes and the institution of journalism has become too significant to ignore," says the introduction to a memo by Media Matters founder David Brock. "

They're scared now.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »
The Obama administration fired a round down range at the so-called mainstream "journalists" by taking on FOX.  Obama and his get hammered by FOX and shortly thereafter Obama's talking heads show on snooze shows claiming FOX does not engage in real "journalism".  Most telling was the distinction drawn between news and talk radio.  Then Obama frees up his <insert species> czar for a pool interview and dictates the absence of FOX.  Blew up in his face like an exploding cigar. Obama said he hoped credible institutions would not take FOX's lead on some of the more interesting stories of corruption. 

Putting it all together Obama just tried to isolate FOX and intimidate the rest of mainstream "journalism" into keeping unfavorable stories in FOX and away from mainstream "journalists".

The other excuse I'm figgurin' on is Obama Copperfield is pulling another illusion.  Deliberate create a story to dominate the coverage.  then with the other hand, work quickly to accomplish something else out of the public's view.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »
The other excuse I'm figgurin' on is Obama Copperfield is pulling another illusion.  Deliberate create a story to dominate the coverage.  then with the other hand, work quickly to accomplish something else out of the public's view.

I'm thinking something along these lines too.  Obama and friends has to know that telling American people not to watch channel X will only result in more people watching said channel.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »
I'm thinking something along these lines too.  Obama and friends has to know that telling American people not to watch channel X will only result in more people watching said channel.

Yes it's the health care bill that's being ram-roded down our throats.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
There's never been "objective" or unbiased news coverage.  Philosophically impossible.  But there is sound journalistic practice, relying on an array of sources and in-depth research rather than a few convenient "insiders" who reinforce what you already believe.  And why do we tolerate "journalism" based on anonymous or un-corroborated sources?  Thank you, Bob Woodward.  Most journalists today aren't just indoctrinated liberals, they are lazy and desperate indoctrinated liberals.  They go for the easy phone calls  because they need to get something in print, on deadline, and like, as too many modern Americans, to offend no one so they can keep on getting those nice paychecks.  And everyone wants to get invited to Ben and Sally's parties...

(Don't ask me how I know.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:40:03 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »
There's never been "objective" or unbiased news coverage.  Philosophically impossible.

Agreed.

But if you get some biased in different directions, then it pretty much balances out.  (well, if you call 5-1 a "balance"  :rolleyes: )

But that "balance" is what BHO was trying to destroy  :mad:

IMO, any president should be impeached over this behavior.  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
You won't get any disagreement from me on that last.  I see two parallels: Nixon and Caligula.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »
If its the actual case, yes. 

So you are OK with the POTUS bullying news organizations, rather than responding to the substance of criticism.  Obama and his associates are not private citizens; they are public officials.  As with the Cambridge police debacle, what would be free speech for most of us are abuses of power for the White House. 

Not to mention that they threatened other news organizations about following in FOX's footsteps, and tried to deny FOX an interview which was offered to the other networks.  Do you find this behavior understandable, rather than chilling? 

Krauthammer:
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_13618691
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »

They should stop pretending, and everyone would be better off. They should be openly biased. That's why bloggers are popular; they do not conceal their biases. If I had a blog/radioshow/tv spot, I would be openly against leftism etc.

Or as Penn and Teller put it "Fair, but biased as hell".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine