Author Topic: Crib Notes - Palin vs Obama  (Read 20786 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crib Notes - Palin vs Obama
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »
Though Palin's not so smooth televised peek at her crib notes recently may not have helped her image, I nevertheless thought the below comparison of her and Obama re: crib note technology, was pretty funny.

http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2010/02/10/crib-notes-technology-cost-analysis/?print=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Crib Notes - Palin vs Obama
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »
That is pretty good.  Considering Obama takes his teleprompter even when talking to school kids, I don't see where he has a leg to stand on. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
On the other side of that, do you think average American really give a damn if you writes notes on her hand?  That strikes me as a big deal about nothing.  

That picture of Obama using a big teleprompter setup in a school room is much worse IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
On the other side of that, do you think average American really give a damn if you writes notes on her hand?  That strikes me as a big deal about nothing.  

Ha! That depends on what your definition of "Average American" is. :)

If it's your average Oprah, Dr Phil, MSM etc. viewer, then yes. If it's your average APS member, then probably no. My own view is she could have been a bit smoother peeking at the notes, but I recognize that most politicians, and public speakers in general, refer to notes.

And you're right, it certainly isn't nearly as obtrusive as a teleprompter in a classroom, though that didn't seem to get nearly as much media attention. Maybe because "they" figure Obama is intelligent and high tech, so of course he'd have all that cool stuff with him. It's not "cheating" if you have fancy equipment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
Technically the teleprompter is far worse. Having some notes on your hand is one thing - having to read the entire speech because you can't improvise worth a damn is the stuff of Brezhnev-era nomenklaturshiks.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
The other thing to remember is that every single one of the reporters and opinionators on TV who are talking about it are also reading from teleprompters.  :)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
Considering Obama takes his teleprompter

I wonder if TOTUS is hackable?
Friends, Romans, Zombies, lend me your ears...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
I did extemporaneous speaking in High School, did pretty well in big competitions. Damn sight better to look at your notes than sit there and go ....ummm.... well, I think...umm. In competition I was allowed a 3x5 notecard. 30 min prep was assigned once you got a topic. A good talk was 5-7 minutes. I counted once, I had over 500 words on that notecard.  =D

I love how this is a big issue and that little smug ass Robert Gibbs wants to make fun of Palin at the daily briefing. Come on fat boy, let's see your boss say anything original without a script!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »
I wonder if TOTUS is hackable?

Go F*** yours America!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:39 PM »
Go F*** yours America!

Isn't that what his speeches already say, in better words?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
Isn't that what his speeches already say, in better words?

MB wins the interwebz.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
I have decided that most , not all but most, of the people that are so down on Palin fit into one of two categories.

Women: They hate her because they are intimidated by her and shamed by the fact that she is more of a woman they can hope to be.

Men: They hate her because they are intimidated by her and shamed by the fact that she is more  of a man they can can hope to be.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Stop the presses! Palin is a transexual! ;)

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
I have decided that most , not all but most, of the people that are so down on Palin fit into one of two categories.

Women: They hate her because they are intimidated by her and shamed by the fact that she is more of a woman they can hope to be.

Men: They hate her because they are intimidated by her and shamed by the fact that she is more  of a man they can can hope to be.

:lol: classic!

Seriously though, I love that people mock her behavior because they can't offer any real counterpoint.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Many people don't like her because they think she's dumb. They think so because they're too dumb to think anything other than what they're told by the MSM.

People also don't like her because she comes across as one of them, and they don't think they're qualified to lead.

Some men don't like her because they think attractive women are dumb. Only Golda Meier would be satisfactory for high office in their view.

Many women are simply put off by attractive women, but will blindly vote for a good-looking guy.

Then there's the people who confuse eloquence and ivy league educations with core beliefs and leadership ability.

Sarah Palin is unique because she offends such a vast sweep of screwed-up people. ;)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 12:36:24 AM »
Many people don't like her because they think she's dumb. They think so because they're too dumb to think anything other than what they're told by the MSM.

People also don't like her because she comes across as one of them, and they don't think they're qualified to lead.

Some men don't like her because they think attractive women are dumb. Only Golda Meier would be satisfactory for high office in their view.

Many women are simply put off by attractive women, but will blindly vote for a good-looking guy.

Then there's the people who confuse eloquence and ivy league educations with core beliefs and leadership ability.

Sarah Palin is unique because she offends such a vast sweep of screwed-up people. ;)

You Betcha! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »
Technically the teleprompter is far worse. Having some notes on your hand is one thing - having to read the entire speech because you can't improvise worth a damn is the stuff of Brezhnev-era nomenklaturshiks.

Okay, but it is at least somewhat troubling that she needed notes for such simple words..who can't keep three buzzword concepts in mind without a scribbled note?

I'm seeing a same trend with this incident: Sarah Palin pulls a political boo-boo, like failing to name a single thing she reads to Katie Couric, and her supporters come out explaining how it was actually a smart move and/or irrelevant.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Okay, but it is at least somewhat troubling that she needed notes for such simple words..who can't keep three buzzword concepts in mind without a scribbled note?

I'm seeing a same trend with this incident: Sarah Palin pulls a political boo-boo, like failing to name a single thing she reads to Katie Couric, and her supporters come out explaining how it was actually a smart move and/or irrelevant.

The trend I see is people who don't like her who continually bring up one not so great moment from one long interview.  It says more about you than her.  I don't see you bringing up all the bad moments of Obama's interviews over the last 5 years.  He has had many. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »
SS, perhaps Obama should write the number of US states on his hand, and the name of the city in which he's speaking.

...who can't keep three buzzword concepts in mind without a scribbled note?

Who can't speak to a class of fifth graders without a teleprompter? Was he afraid they'd trip him up? Maybe he should go on Jeff Foxworthy's show.

What's more, does anyone know what's written on that teleprompter? Is it only the speech, or are there stage instructions such as "point finger" or "raise nose in air"?

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
"raise nose in air"?

My guess is the instructions are more like "keep nose down" .... "keep holding nose down"...."BRING YOUR NOSE BACK DOWN!!!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »

People here have compared Sarah Palin to Barack OBama. I don't think it's quite fair - nobody suggested Barack OBama as a conservative candidate.

But consider this, SS:

What conservative candidates are there who have Palin's name recognition, who have not crippled themselves with scandals (I liked Sanford more. Sadly many people see his failings as disqualifying) and who are not statist thugs?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
The comparisons with Obama only serve to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the left and the media.  Of course, most everyone here is already aware of that. 

If you want to compare apples to apples a little better, compare media treatment of Dan Quayle to treatment of Joe Biden.  :)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 03:22:24 AM »
SS, perhaps Obama should write the number of US states on his hand, and the name of the city in which he's speaking.

Who can't speak to a class of fifth graders without a teleprompter? Was he afraid they'd trip him up? Maybe he should go on Jeff Foxworthy's show.

What's more, does anyone know what's written on that teleprompter? Is it only the speech, or are there stage instructions such as "point finger" or "raise nose in air"?

This is a good point - are you saying you wouldn't laugh if you found out the teleprompter only had three phrases on it, and they were all Obama campaign buzzwords like "hope" "change" and "yes you can"?

We don't know what's on the teleprompter, but I think it's safe to assume he's got a script on there.  It means he's fanatical about controlling his message to the point that not one word can go off script.  Free-handing it can get nasty if you don't choose your words carefully each time, and not everyone does.

I'd sure have a colossal laugh if I found out the guy needed his buzzwords outlined in big letters for him, and I hope you would too.

How are these scribbles on Palin's hand any different from that?

Micro, there aren't any good candidates.  Palin has some scandals, and is constantly experiencing this kind of fail at her public appearances.  Maybe she's better than the others, though I doubt that - a scandal hurts a campaign less than, well, poor campaigning.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 04:58:20 AM »
Micro, there aren't any good candidates.  Palin has some scandals, and is constantly experiencing this kind of fail at her public appearances.  Maybe she's better than the others, though I doubt that - a scandal hurts a campaign less than, well, poor campaigning.

So, what is your suggestion?

Remember that, de-facto, we have to support someone.  It's not like we can somehow not run a candidate in 2012 and 2016. Palin is quite obviously the best person that can currently run. I've explained previously, in other threads, why she is favored. You've not responded to my points, and are instead choosing to attack her supposed inability to campaign.

taurusowner

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »
As long as we're talking about candidates here, I feel this is a good time to bring up that I always thought Fred Thompson should have won the nomination.  Perhaps another shot?