Author Topic: Crib Notes - Palin vs Obama  (Read 20784 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Crib Notes - Palin vs Obama
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
Whatever else you may think, Obama did a good job running his presidential campaign.

It says so right there on his resumè  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »
I contend that no one could look good given the same level of antagonistic media scrutiny Palin has received. Obama would've been crying like a little girl if he'd received even 1/4 the negative attention Palin has. Saying "Palin is a bad campaigner" is meaningless. No one on God's little green dirtball could've managed to not be portrayed as stupid/incompetent etc by the media, given the same position.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
Obama would've been crying like a little girl if he'd received even 1/4 the negative attention Palin has.

There's been a lot of tantrums coming from the White House now that many in the media are doing real reporting.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:29 AM »
The media were favouring Hillary Clinton early on folks - Barack Obama beat the democratic establishment into selecting him, which was not easy to do.  He was helped along by the mediocrity of Hillary, but the Clintons have never been media or campaign fools, and he beat them.  Go back to your early (pre-kick off) articles about Obama and tell me how much "love" there was for him. 

There's also the fact that his campaign won fairly easily.  I'd say that's successful campaigning, myself, but then again I'm no expert.  This despite 25 percent of the population in some quarters thinking he's an African born muslim.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
Whooo boy. SS, can we get some of what you're smoking?

Hillary had been leading in the popular vote, but had Michigan and Florida pulled out from under her when the DNC decided not to count those states' primaries. (I can still hear the 2000 DNC rallying cry: "count every vote!"). This reminds me of Obama's campaign expertise exhibited when he ran for state office and sued to have his opponents removed from the ballot.

There's also the fact that his campaign won fairly easily.  I'd say that's successful campaigning, myself, but then again I'm no expert.

No, you're no expert. First off, McCain was leading in most polls right up until the financial fiasco, and he blew that chance. Obama didn't do anything right, McCain did something wrong. Given the level of "anyone but Bush" sentiment, and the anti-Republican mood, the Democrat nominee should have blown his opponent out of the water. Remember the predictions of Obama winning by 20 points? Seven points isn't a blow-out.

Obama is such a fantastic campaigner that polls show if the election were held again today, he would lose. And, bear in mind, he's been continually campaigning since he took office.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
This despite 25 percent of the population in some quarters thinking he's an African born muslim.

The best kind of statistics are the ones you make up yourself...  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
quoting myself:
You might have something.  I've often wondered if a President should not be elected so much as dragged kicking and screaming into office.  Maybe we'd get a better one that way.

This is essentially how we ended-up with George Washington as our first President.

Best one we ever had; be sure to raise a toast to him on Monday.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
Whooo boy. SS, can we get some of what you're smoking?

Hillary had been leading in the popular vote, but had Michigan and Florida pulled out from under her when the DNC decided not to count those states' primaries. (I can still hear the 2000 DNC rallying cry: "count every vote!"). This reminds me of Obama's campaign expertise exhibited when he ran for state office and sued to have his opponents removed from the ballot.

No, you're no expert. First off, McCain was leading in most polls right up until the financial fiasco, and he blew that chance. Obama didn't do anything right, McCain did something wrong. Given the level of "anyone but Bush" sentiment, and the anti-Republican mood, the Democrat nominee should have blown his opponent out of the water. Remember the predictions of Obama winning by 20 points? Seven points isn't a blow-out.

Obama is such a fantastic campaigner that polls show if the election were held again today, he would lose. And, bear in mind, he's been continually campaigning since he took office.

Yeah, you need to review your timelines of Michigan and Florida.  And yeah, I'm so smoking that I correctly predicted the win.  I guess that must have been just blind luck, calling it for Obama.  I mean, so many people (including Micro, who is not even American) were just off their rockers before that big win.  Pure luck.

Or not.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
And yeah, I'm so smoking that I correctly predicted the win.  I guess that must have been just blind luck, calling it for Obama.

A rock could have predicted a Democrat win in 2008. The fact that McCain had a slight lead up until the financial meltdown speaks volumes about Obama's "expertise."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »
A rock could have predicted a Democrat win in 2008. The fact that McCain had a slight lead up until the financial meltdown speaks volumes about Obama's "expertise."
That.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
There's been a lot of tantrums coming from the White House now that many a rare few in the media are doing real reporting.

FIFY  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »

Yes, but this misses the point, which is that a Democrat win is a different thing entirely from this versus that Democrat winning.  The Clintons held the reigns of the Democratic party at that time, were skilled media manipulators, and had run two near flawless campaigns that managed to overcome scandal after scandal after scandal.  Obama beat them.  That to me is a pretty good indicator of campaign expertise.

I agree that he's shown no sparks as a leader, but again, those are different skills entirely.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:56 AM »
...skilled media manipulators....

Make that "manipulated media" and you've got a point. Hillary's treatment by the media was almost as biased as McCain's. The media was in the tank for Obama early on.

I'll give Obama's people credit for utilizing the internet very well, and for theatrics. In the end, though, a very junior senator with a resume as thin as Obama's would never have gotten the nomination had he been white. Not ever.

The Clintons held the reigns (sic) of the Democratic party at that time...

The Clintons owned the party when the DNC chairman was Terry McCauliffe, the Clinton's boy. Howard Dean wasn't owned by the Clinton's, and wasn't exactly a friend.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2010, 12:51:42 AM »
Good catch on reins - I always make that mistake.

It looks like, after all this back and forth, we actually agree on the fundamental point:

I'll give Obama's people credit for utilizing the internet very well, and for theatrics.

Theatrics and communications are the core of campaigns.  That's why people who are not necessarily good presidents sometimes handily win elections, and people who would be excellent presidents don't even get close.

What aspect of the PR game has Palin handled well?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »
Since it was the McCain people running the PR during the campaign, her own campaign management skills are up in the air.  We don't know.  However, she seems to be pretty good at connecting with average Americans.  Even when the media was smearing her, she was drawing huge crowds at speaking engagements.  What will happen in the future I don't know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »
...she was drawing huge crowds at speaking engagements.

She was drawing as many people as Obama. Where will SS go with that?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
Since it was the McCain people running the PR during the campaign, her own campaign management skills are up in the air.  We don't know.  However, she seems to be pretty good at connecting with average Americans.  Even when the media was smearing her, she was drawing huge crowds at speaking engagements.  What will happen in the future I don't know. 

Zactly. She started off pretty well but (IIRC) once she clashed with McCain's opinions, she suddenly just started parroting his talking points and a lot of people then just lost interest. I was really surprised how many people were ragging on her, yet still supporting McCain. His people put there thumb down and came out worse for it.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 03:11:49 AM »

Well, let's see - that Katie Couric interview was no shining moment.  Then there was that speech she gave while resigning as Governor.  And the crib notes on her hand.  Yeah, not too sure that we don't know about her PR skills.

Howard Stern draws a big crowd.  So does Britney Spears.  Neither have serious chances of winning national office any time soon.  I think we need to find alternative measures of PR talent there...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
Well, let's see - that Katie Couric interview was no shining moment.  Then there was that speech she gave while resigning as Governor.  And the crib notes on her hand.  Yeah, not too sure that we don't know about her PR skills.p

Howard Stern draws a big crowd.  So does Britney Spears.  Neither have serious chances of winning national office any time soon.  I think we need to find alternative measures of PR talent there..

And Palin is so incompetent, such an idiot, and is so poor at campaigning that she doesn't have the proverbial snowball's chance to be elected to anything, that you and your liberal fellow travellers feel it necessary to constantly attack her.

Doesn't make sense.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
And Palin is so incompetent, such an idiot, and is so poor at campaigning that she doesn't have the proverbial snowball's chance to be elected to anything, that you and your liberal fellow travellers feel it necessary to constantly attack her.

Doesn't make sense.

Oderint dum metuant.

And, they do. Fear is the only explanation for the absolute visceral hate directed at Gov. Palin.

Going after her kids? Yeah... these people are seriously afraid and their only tool is to destroy someone, even if it means destroying their family.

In fact, I think they take joy at destroying someone's entire life.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
Theatrics and communications are the core of campaigns.  That's why people who are not necessarily good presidents sometimes handily win elections, and people who would be excellent presidents don't even get close.

What aspect of the PR game has Palin handled well?

Of what she has had control of, her resignation speech from Alaska Gov was poorly done.  But, she has been masterful in using the 'net.  For a while there, it was "Palin with Facebook vs BHO with the entire MSM."  And Palin gave BHO a run for his money, despite having zero resources.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
Well, let's see - that Katie Couric interview was no shining moment.  Then there was that speech she gave while resigning as Governor.  And the crib notes on her hand.  Yeah, not too sure that we don't know about her PR skills.

Howard Stern draws a big crowd.  So does Britney Spears.  Neither have serious chances of winning national office any time soon.  I think we need to find alternative measures of PR talent there...
As mentioned much earlier in the thread, since you forgot, the Couric interview was a failure of the McCain campaign.  They set up a hostile interview and allowed them to edit it down as they saw fit.  How many Hostile interviews has your hero President Obama done?  It's an easy answer.  

You are the one who keeps making a big deal about the notes on her hand.  No one else gives a damn.  Since you already don't like her, I'd say that was a deciding factor.

I didn't even see the resignation speech.  I just find it funny that you try to slam her for that when it was your ideological buddies who were dumping her with lawsuits while she was governor.  If that happened to you, I think I'd just laugh at you.  :D

Honestly, I don't know if I would vote for the lady or not, but these petty attacks are nuts.  It reflects on you, not her.
The last point would be that if I really wanted to come up with reasons why Obama isn't fit for office, I could come up with a whole lot more than this.  If that is your best shot, it is pretty weak.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:31:23 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:57 AM »
Okay, again here folks: lots of media attention does not correlate to someone being a "threat" politically.  Tiger Woods gets lots of coverage.  I doubt that's because the liberal establishment thinks he might win an election.  Same goes for Glenn Beck and Anne Coulter - the latter have been routinely barbecued, along with Bill O'Reilly.  I don't think anyone would make the argument that it happens because those people are serious contenders for a national office.

Media go after people because it generates ratings.  Palin's looks were probably a part of it, and her baby daddy story was a big help too.  It is a business like any other; needs to sell stories to survive.

Going back to the Couric interview, I don't see questions as "so what do you read?" as particularly sneaky attacks.  Most APSers who participate in this forum could have done twice the job she did in answering the substantive questions.  Even for interviews that are tough, you can do better than outright failure, which is what she did in that interview.  It's not the McCain campaign's fault that she didn't know how to interview.

The thing about this thread is, I'm not slamming her leadership skills or management talent.  I just find it baffling that anyone would call her a great campaigner.  If there's any ideology messing with the facts here, I'd say that's it.  Just because you like Palin's policies doesn't mean that having words like "tax break" scribbled on your palms for a speech is a slick PR move.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
Who called her a "great campaigner"? 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »
Just because you like Palin's policies doesn't mean that having words like "tax break" scribbled on your palms for a speech is a slick PR move.

And you, of course, know this is what was scribbled on her hand.

How much media coverage are Huckabee or Romney getting right now compared to Palin? When was the last time you saw either of them on a magazine cover? How many editorial cartoons have you seen in the last five months about either of them?

Without going back and reading every post, I don't think anyone is saying she's a great campaigner. She does appeal to people, though, and she draws crowds. Even if she doesn't run, I suspect the candidates will ask her to appear for them. She's doing that now in several states (including here in Wisconsin).

What's interesting is the reaction to her by liberals like SS. It's very similar to the visceral and sometimes unhinged hatred of Bush and Reagan.