Author Topic: McDonald's Happy Meals  (Read 20806 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: McDonald's Happy Meals
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 01:29:36 AM »
You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read.
 I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.
I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay?
I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future.
Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

:lol:
This is the link to that speech, FWIW.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 03:12:46 AM »
So if I told you we were talking about 1050 calories, 72 grams of fat, 11 grams of saturated fat, 2530 mg of sodium...

...I'd say that sounds like breakfast.

Last I checked, I eat between 2500 and 3200 calories a day without gaining weight, and I don't really watch the sodium either, since I usually crave salt after exertion.  When I was Happy Meal age, I probably burned off those calories within an hour after eating it.  Get the kids off their butts and send them out to play.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 04:03:16 AM »

Last I checked, I eat between 2500 and 3200 calories a day without gaining weight, and I don't really watch the sodium either, since I usually crave salt after exertion.  When I was Happy Meal age, I probably burned off those calories within an hour after eating it.  Get the kids off their butts and send them out to play.
But, but...little Timmy might get dirty. Or scrub his knees. Or be exposed to pollen. Dontcha know that kids of today are fragile little things in a world full of dangers all out to hurt them?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 04:35:26 AM »
is "psychological trick" a new buzzword for successful marketing?

you know the first "trick " mcd's used?  the napkins and straws.  they were the first to put em out where the customers could get at em.  they found kids loved getting the napkins and straws and that anyplace that made the kids happy  owned mom and dad.   my kids are rail thin too and they eat lots of "bad things".  i was the junkfood junkie and was a 28 inch waist till i was 41.
i try to keep em outa sodas and into milk and juice  but my lids think that lowfat milk tastes bad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 06:03:17 AM »

And for a good breakfast you might not be far off.

Point is simply that a big mac doesn't warrant picking on
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
Biggest source of fats in most foods is the heavy, mayo-based sauces that get served on them for "flavor" (i.e. covering up poor ingredients).  When I get a Big Mac (which is rare), I always swap the "special sauce" for mustard (no fat or calories, but lots of flavor). Cuts a significant amount of calories off. Same thing with salads...go for the low-fat ones instead of the Honey Mustard or Ranch or Thousand Islands.....

Also, french fries are just sponges for fat w/o any nutritional value...you're better off getting a second burger than a side of fries...

McDonalds can be a healthy place to eat...if you're smart about it....hence the "Darwinism" post earlier....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Point is simply that a big mac doesn't warrant picking on

Or eating, for that matter.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
It's been over 20 years since I've eaten at McDonalds.  I once removed the "meat" patty from a Big Mac and tried eating it sans bun, cheese or sauce. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

That said, if someone wants to eat a 300-calorie piece of tire rubber, that's their business. Last night I ate a 14-inch, 3000 calorie pizza (2500 for the pizza, 500 for the extra cheese I added). If the food police had their way, I'd be in prison for doing that.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »
My Dad's been known to order a Happy Meal, just because it's a modest amount of chow, and comes with a toy he can give to the grand-kids.

same here but the toys go to my own kids.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
same here but the toys go to my own kids.

Chris

Don't you know those things'll kill ya?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »
Isn't getting calories the whole point of eating food  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »
Isn't getting calories the whole point of eating food  ???

Yes, but if you only burn 2k/day and you're eating 3k+ because you're eating calorie rich restaurant food, you'll end up fat.  The idea is to eat lower calorie foods when possible so you're less likely to take in more calories than you burn.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
Yes, but if you only burn 2k/day and you're eating 3k+ because you're eating calorie rich restaurant food, you'll end up fat.  The idea is to eat lower calorie foods when possible so you're less likely to take in more calories than you burn.

Chris

I'm just lucky if I can keep even....  ;/

I don't really eat much anymore, though - back when I was logging I think I ate 6-8K calories per day  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin