Author Topic: ‘We the People’ Loses Appeal With People Around the World  (Read 21080 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: ‘We the People’ Loses Appeal With People Around the World
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
I think the loss of appeal of the US Constitution is directly proportional to the widening negative public perception of the US as a Nation over the last decade, mainly because of the policies and actions of the "Global War on Terror". We aren't viewed as that beacon of Liberty and Justice anymore, so other Nations no longer aspire to be like us. We've become ugly.

If you are right, that would indeed be ironic.  Surely, our global neighbors don't view Islam as the beacon of liberty and justice...?  We are not what we used to be, that's true, but, you know what, neither are they over there.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
Or you can currently rely on the US security umbrella for a portion of your national defense.
And offense, too. Remember how we had to help them in Libya when their materials ran short. Having a superpower as ally allows you to invest much less in defense.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »
I think this nation is afflicted with what Henry Fielding, referring to Tom Jones, called "the glorious lust of doing good."  Take that as you will.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
No, America doesn't look like that - it looks more like a racket, where you have to pay in to the system, and the money gets paid out on things that aren't useful to the vast majority of people, like the TSA.
Not to mention AFDC, EITC, food stamps, WIC, and a host of other unearned entitlements.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
The US security umbrella mainly serves to make other nations targets in the event of a US-China-Russia war.  The idea that the chinese or russians would be going after any of those places if not for a trillion dollar US defence establishment has no foundation in reality.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
The US security umbrella mainly serves to make other nations targets in the event of a US-China-Russia war.  The idea that the chinese or russians would be going after any of those places if not for a trillion dollar US defence establishment has no foundation in reality.
:facepalm:  I think my brain just exploded. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
ROFLCOPTER.

De Selby demonstrates a hilarious lack of understanding of Russian culture.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
ROFLCOPTER.

De Selby demonstrates a hilarious lack of understanding of Russian culture human nature.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
FTFY

Arguments about Russian culture or "human nature" will not have made it any more feasible or necessary for Russia or China to be invading western europe. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
Arguments about Russian culture or "human nature" will not have made it any more feasible or necessary for Russia or China to be invading western europe. 

"Necessity" is quite often in the eye of the beholder. Many wars, as you no doubt know, are not necessary, but they are waged nonetheless.

I don't know about Western Europe - certainly the Russians visited Berlin and Paris more than once in previous incidents. But Eastern Europe, like, say, Estonia, is quite feasible.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 01:47:18 AM »
What percentage of the Russian army is now Muslim...?

And what percentage will it be in ten years?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »

Not this again.

Micro, sure they might have different ideas about necessity - but so what?  Their previous visits to eastern europe seem to have been motivated as much by Western "visits" threatening Russia as anything else. 

In the world we live in today, not an imaginary one where Russia might be different, it's obvious they aren't going to aim for conquering Britain and France any time soon.   What NATO does is make those places targets in a war that, if it happens, will undoubtedly be fought to serve US and Russian aims.

Particularly when it comes to missile defense, being bought by the US with bags of money is about the only way I can fathom places like Poland hosting the thing.  There's no upside to it for their populations, whatsoever.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 02:59:39 AM »

What new madness is this?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
What new madness indeed.  Russia she is changing, amigos.  But you know that, I assume.  I know, it's crazy stuff, just like the belief that our masterminds in the White House and Foggy Bottom are brick by brick constructing the new Caliphate...  Yes, it is all madness for those who really don't follow what's going on.  Maybe "smart diplomacy" is really "Machiavellian diplomacy?"  Anyway, you guys are nothing if not predictable, and I can always use some predictability in my chaotic life.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
The US security umbrella mainly serves to make other nations targets in the event of a US-China-Russia war.  The idea that the chinese or russians would be going after any of those places if not for a trillion dollar US defence establishment has no foundation in reality.
Russia has no interest in conquest. With no security umbrella in place, certainly the Russians never would have even thought to invade and occupy Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia for half a century starting around 1940. And of course Russian invasions of Hungary in 1956, Czechoslovakia in 1968, Afghanistan in 1972, and Georgia/South Ossetia in 2008 are just figments of people's imagination . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
What new madness indeed.  Russia she is changing, amigos.  But you know that, I assume. 

Yes, and for the better. Well, at least if you're a Russian.

Radical ISlam is not a dominating force in Russia and will not be in the observable future.

Micro, sure they might have different ideas about necessity - but so what?  Their previous visits to eastern europe seem to have been motivated as much by Western "visits" threatening Russia as anything else. 

So America's invasions are imperialist, but everyone else's invasions are defensive?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »
Russia has no interest in conquest. With no security umbrella in place, certainly the Russians never would have even thought to invade and occupy Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia for half a century starting around 1940. And of course Russian invasions of Hungary in 1956, Czechoslovakia in 1968, Afghanistan in 1972, and Georgia/South Ossetia in 2008 are just figments of people's imagination . . .

Fig mints, if thrown hard enough, can leave a nasty welt.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
You mean ten per cent of the Russian military is not Muslim?  And that Muslims are not, by far, the most prolific sub-set of the Russian population?  I don't know what you mean by "observable future," but if Muslims in the Russian military gain control all bets are off.  I think you are way too complacent about what's going on there.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »

Insert Quote
You mean ten per cent of the Russian military is not Muslim?

No, I've seen no evidence to support that assertion. AFAIK the recruitment rate of Muslims dropped off recently. More importantly, Russia's birth rate is growing in every segment of society. It ain't Europe.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
What new madness indeed.  Russia she is changing, amigos.  But you know that, I assume.  I know, it's crazy stuff, just like the belief that our masterminds in the White House and Foggy Bottom are brick by brick constructing the new Caliphate...  Yes, it is all madness for those who really don't follow what's going on.  Maybe "smart diplomacy" is really "Machiavellian diplomacy?"  Anyway, you guys are nothing if not predictable, and I can always use some predictability in my chaotic life.

Since you have always been a little off the deep end, does this signal a switch to NITROX?

Uh, no the secret Muslims aren't taking over the Red Army.  At least not in any way discernible to the folks that watch them and not www.jihadwatch.com.  And even if they were, it bears mentioning that a vanishingly small percentage of the Muslims in the world are ready to fight in some kind of global Jihad.  The actual number of people fighting for some sort of islamic global takeover is pretty damn pathetic.

I'll state again what I've said before: Radical Islamic terrorists aren't a threat to the United States as a country.  They just aren't.  They can kill Americans, and should definately be prevented from doing so at every turn.  But they just don't have the logistics, skills or numbers to threaten this country.

However, Americans pretending there's some vast Islamic machinery that justifies discarding our laws, morals and money DO have the ability to destroy the country.  They can't do it to us, but we can do it to ourselves.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
I'll state again what I've said before: Radical Islamic terrorists aren't a threat to the United States as a country.  They just aren't.  They can kill Americans, and should definately be prevented from doing so at every turn.  But they just don't have the logistics, skills or numbers to threaten this country.

However, Americans pretending there's some vast Islamic machinery that justifies discarding our laws, morals and money DO have the ability to destroy the country.  They can't do it to us, but we can do it to ourselves.

Under the guise of protecting liberty and freedom we have managed to lose both.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

Bingo.  Just wish a lot more folks would realize this
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

And what security umbrella of ours was protecting Georgia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, VietNam, Korea, Iraq, and Afghanistan, just to name a few?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »
Bingo.  Just wish a lot more folks would realize this

Everybody and his brother-in-law's dog seems to realize it. People say stuff like that all the time.

Post-September-11th anti-terror measures may be a small part of the problem, but I think we all know they are just a symptom of a much deeper problem. We could abolish the PATRIOT Act, TSA, DHS, and all the other stuff, but we would still be choking ourselves with regulation and needless spending. We would still have intractable social maladies to contend with (broken homes, etc).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
The world is not an either/or affair, alas.  While, indeed, there are those within this country exploiting the so-called "War on Terror" for nefarious ends--on this we agree--you are wrong that there is no existential threat to the West and to America from radical Islam.  I don't expect to convince you of this.  You are in your conceptual bunker and are doomed to stay there apparently.

A vanishingly small tranche of Muslims are ready to fight in some global jihad?  Well, I think you can say the same of Americans willing to fight for liberty, no?  And Islam is no threat to the West?  Arm them with nuclear warheads, even a few, and see how well your world handles the loss of London, Paris, Los Angeles, or New York or even a coordinated EMP attack.  All I can say is Americans really have no idea any of this would mean to their lives.

Yes, I am off the deep end.  Believe that.  And keep believing it as one MENA state after another falls to radical forces with the active collusion of Islamic-sympathetic forces inside this very country at the very highest levels.  Keep believing it as this country is riven to the core and drifts inexorably toward irreversible division that cannot end in other than a cultural conflagration that even secession--which you also wrongly believe is far-fetched--will not be able to heal.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.