Author Topic: NRA Prediction Thread  (Read 20821 times)

slingshot

• friend
Re: NRA Prediction Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Cerberus announced that the firearms businesses are for sale.  They do own Bushmaster.

the NRA appears to be laying low and stated that they intend to have a press conference on Friday.  They don't want anything like this happening again.  What that means in terms of their political positions, I don't know.  But if they "throw EBR's under the bus" as mentioned earlier, I suspect they will see a dramatic decline in their membership.

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
The NRA will not throw EBR's under the bus or support mag restrictions.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »
The NRA will not throw EBR's under the bus or support mag restrictions.

I LOLd
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
This statement worries me.  It sounds too much like some of the nonsense already coming out of DC.  What are "meaningful contributions" exactly?

Same here.

Friday's statement is going to determine if my Amex is getting any exercise.  Life membership by sundown if they don't cave. 

I let my membership lapse in 2008, mainly to save $25 a year. I'll be re-upping on Friday, if they don't blow it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
I hope not.  But I hope that they can bring some sanity into the discussion.  It is going to be hard and their voice will certainly not carry above the major media types with shows.  I expect Hannity will have someone from the NRA as a guest.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
The NRA doesn't want this happening again?  Well, who does?

But they can't stop it from happening again no matter what they propose.   Adam Lanza was no more one-of-a-kind than Maj. Hasan was. 

Their job is to defend OUR rights, not to placate the public safety at any cost fanatics.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
I LOLd

It is a prediction thread.

There is zero upside to them folding on either issue.

The NRA is not all Fudds, they know the stakes.

It's all about the Benjamin's. They fold now they will see an exodus in membership like they've never seen before.

This isn't politics anymore.

This is fundamental transformation taking place before our eyes.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
Here's hoping the NRA (and some conservative pundits) read this article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/

If this theory proves out, then the motive was pure revenge, and if Adam Lanza had been unable to lay his hands on a firearm or three, he was clearly intelligent enough to build a bomb that would have easily killed far more people than he did with his gun.

We need to start hammering that point. As we have always discussed, the gun was just a tool. For someone who wants to kill other people, they'll use any tool they can. Some people use guns, some use poison, some use knives, some use automobiles ... and some use bombs.

Now THERE's a genuine weapon of mass destruction. And buzzers on the front door of the school are NOT going to defeat a bomb the size of Timothy McVeigh's U-Haul.

The pointy heads in Washington need to recognize this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
The pointy heads in Washington need to recognize this.

Many of the pointy heads in DC do recognize this.  It makes no difference to them because their entire aim is to do away with firearms, period.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
I predict that the NRA will go the Mental Health route.  There's no way they'll throw EBR's or Standard Capacity mags under the bus.

Mental Health and stronger reporting requirements (followed by an adjudication process) will be the card they play.  That's what all the mass shooters have had in common.  Mental Health issues that went untreated.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
That's what all the mass shooters have had in common.  Mental Health issues

:P

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
I think it will go like this...

1. Condolences to the victims & families.
2. Offer to help school districts in securing their schools via training, whether they go armed or not.
3. Reaffirm 2A, Heller, & MacDonald and oppose any new gun-control laws.

....anything other than that risks the NRA sounding like another "Stupid Party"....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »
Just let me get this cap on first....  [tinfoil] ....there we go. Alright, here's my prediction. The NRA will pay lip service to protection of the 2nd amendment while giving support to reasonable common sense meaningful compromises* in D.C., and afterwards will go on a fundraising blitz crying about how they need more of our money to prevent the gun-grabbers from taking away our ability to hunt Bambi and Donald. There's more money to be made in the battle than there is in the victory.

*Which really just means further erosion of the 2nd amendment. There really is no such thing as compromise when dealing with enumerated rights, unless you're using the definition of the word that denotes the jeopardizing of said right.

I will be pleased if proven wrong, but not surprised if proven right.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »
Ceding ground regarding mental health criteria is perhaps the greatest slippery slope of all of those who love liberty.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
Ceding ground regarding mental health criteria is perhaps the greatest slippery slope of all of those who love liberty.

It is, but the mentally ill are probably one of the few groups that it is acceptable to mock, stereotype, and otherwise crap on. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
It is, but the mentally ill are probably one of the few groups that it is acceptable to mock, stereotype, and otherwise crap on. 

Yeah, and white males  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
I just read a few of the items the "Gun Task Force" headed by Biden is going to potentially pursue. I am going to make a prediction that the NRA will cave on the "gun show loophole". Seeing some of the other stuff they will have to fight, the "gun show loophole" seems like the Red Shirt of the batch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
Yeah, and white males  ;/

And bible clinging Christians.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
We need to begin with the realization that the left considers people like us insane. This is just Sovietism brought up-to-date.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

At least the Government has seized control of health care.  Mix the two together and the recipe is not good.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »

Yep. Especially considering what goes into the DSM-IV under the category of 'mental illnesses' is sometimes more subjective and political than it is scientific, not to mention Psychiatrists doing the diagnosing aren't uniformly non-subjective and non-political.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
But, you still have to be adjudicated, in front of a judge and with access to legal counsel.   At least for now.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
I just read a few of the items the "Gun Task Force" headed by Biden is going to potentially pursue. I am going to make a prediction that the NRA will cave on the "gun show loophole". Seeing some of the other stuff they will have to fight, the "gun show loophole" seems like the Red Shirt of the batch.

IOW, private sales?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
But, you still have to be adjudicated, in front of a judge and with access to legal counsel.   At least for now.

Judge shopping is the official state sport where I live.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
If the NRA supports restrictions on private sales they are done. Half their members or more will leave.

If they support restrictions on private sales I will pull a H W Bush and request they remove me from their roles as a lifetime member.

Compromise under these circumstances is tantamount to admitting culpability.