Author Topic: NRA Prediction Thread  (Read 20820 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: NRA Prediction Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
IOW, private sales?

Well, we know that, but I think they think there's a difference between gun shows and other private party sales. I could be wrong, but if they look at ONLY gun shows, I see that as something the NRA might sacrifice to protect other areas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
Except the "gun show loop hole" includes not only private sales but also Grandpa passing his collection to the grand kids. Dad passing the Garand to his daughter or Mom willing her 1st gen Colt SAA to her son.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

toysoldier

Re: Re: NRA Prediction Thread
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
We need to begin with the realization that the left considers people like us insane. This is just Sovietism brought up-to-date.

This is just as dangerous as any potential gun ban. "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it" :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry_in_the_Soviet_Union

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:43 PM »
Except the "gun show loop hole" includes not only private sales but also Grandpa passing his collection to the grand kids. Dad passing the Garand to his daughter or Mom willing her 1st gen Colt SAA to her son.

Not quite. Bequests are exempt from transfer requirements. No FFL needed for the executor of a will to transfer bequests to the nominal heir, even across state lines.

Of course, if the state of residence of the heir has draconian laws in place (NY, NJ, CA), that's a separate question.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Not quite. Bequests are exempt from transfer requirements. No FFL needed for the executor of a will to transfer bequests to the nominal heir, even across state lines.

Of course, if the state of residence of the heir has draconian laws in place (NY, NJ, CA), that's a separate question.

What about giving my (future) son a .22 for his birthday?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »
What about my grandpa giving me his garand?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
Well, we know that, but I think they think there's a difference between gun shows and other private party sales. I could be wrong, but if they look at ONLY gun shows, I see that as something the NRA might sacrifice to protect other areas.

So a measure to ban private sales within (or within x feet of) a gunshow? Interesting. I guess that might not be a full retard move.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »
What about my grandpa giving me his garand?

That's not a bequest. That's a gift, subject to normal transfer regulations.

If he leaves it to you in his will, then it's a bequest and exempt from normal transfer regulations.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
That's not a bequest. That's a gift, subject to normal transfer regulations.

Huh? Are you saying that gifts require an FFL transfer now, or do you speak hypothetically?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »

Huh? Are you saying that gifts require an FFL transfer now, or do you speak hypothetically?

Across state lines. That's the missing caveat in what he said. You can inherit/bequest across state lines without an FFL, assuming the items are legal in the receiver's state. Although that has nothing to do with the FFL status. If you try to FFL an item that's illegal in your state, you still obviously can't have it by state law anyway.

This is because bequests/inheritance are not "commerce" and as such does not come under the GCA 68's authority from the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution.

You cannot gift a firearm across state lines without an FFL. Gifts are "commerce" I guess.

In-state is up to your local state regulations, which vary, but the ATF fed.gov has no say in it because it does not have ICC authority either.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »
Oh, OK, thanks.

You cannot gift a firearm across state lines without an FFL. Gifts are "commerce" I guess.

More like commerce is easily disguised as gifts.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
But, you still have to be adjudicated, in front of a judge and with access to legal counsel.   At least for now.

In Michigan, they hold "court" right in the facility, with one of their own MH "professionals" as the "judge"  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »

They do if it's an interstate transfer. I thought that's what was being asked about.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
They do if it's an interstate transfer. I thought that's what was being asked about.

We're talking about the hypothetical situation of private face to face transfers becoming verboten. You know. That "gun show loophole."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
We're talking about the hypothetical situation of private face to face transfers becoming verboten. You know. That "gun show loophole."

I'm still predicting the NRA will roll right over on this. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
In Michigan, they hold "court" right in the facility, with one of their own MH "professionals" as the "judge"  ;/

They do?  I have represented people at guardianship hearings and they have always been at a probate court. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
I'm still predicting the NRA will roll right over on this. 

Yep

Depending on how they respond today, i'll either get a membership or write them a letter telling them they're traitors
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
NRA did not "roll over" and recommended that armed guards be positioned in each and every school in the country.  La Pierre indicated there is a lot of time to debate the merits of whatever regulations or control measures are proposed.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
They do?  I have represented people at guardianship hearings and they have always been at a probate court. 

This wasn't a guardianship hearing, it was for continued hospitalization.

I wasn't there, and I'm not sure of the legal qualification but they called it a hearing and a judge.   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
Statement from the NRA.

http://home.nra.org/iphone.aspx

Calling for "an" armed guard in every school. Doesn't seem like that good a plan to me, but they aren't caving.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »
The NRA didn't cave, but the armed guard response wasn't particularly useful, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
La Pierre indicated there is a lot of time to debate the merits of whatever regulations or control measures are proposed.

"we're not caving now. Now we're scraping up what members we can. the betrayal will come LATER"
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
Watching the video now at the C-span archive. Cue codepink moron. "The violence starts with the NRA!"

ETA: Glad I'm not the only one cynically reading between the lines.

ETA2: Aaaand there he goes about the violent video games and movies. Profiling a 10 year old flash game as if it's the source of the evil.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
"we're not caving now. Now we're scraping up what members we can. the betrayal will come LATER"

Actually I think they have learned their lesson. The NRA was a big help in getting Iowa to shall issue on carry permits.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
And there goes a second codepink idiot trying to crash the press conference. You know, if you guys are watching an edited and condensed version I really suggest the full c-span archive version instead. 32 minutes long, and you get to see some of the really far out whack jobs there.  [popcorn]