Author Topic: Cyprus may raid bank accounts, 10% of savings  (Read 20480 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Cyprus may raid bank accounts, 10% of savings
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/17/us-cyprus-parliament-idUSBRE92G03I20130317

euro zone finance ministers want Cyprus savers to forfeit up to 9.9 percent of their deposits in return for a 10 billion euro ($13 billion) bailout to the island, which has been financially crippled by its exposure to neighboring Greece.

The decision, announced on Saturday morning, stunned Cypriots and caused a run on cashpoints, most of which were depleted within hours. Electronic transfers were stopped.

That's a lovely precedent to set:  Penalize the savers for the actions of the gimme-gimmes.

I wonder why something like that would trigger a run on banks?   :angel:   :facepalm:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Cyprus may raid bank accounts, 10% of savings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/17/us-cyprus-parliament-idUSBRE92G03I20130317

That's a lovely precedent to set:  Penalize the savers for the actions of the gimme-gimmes.

I wonder why something like that would trigger a run on banks?   :angel:   :facepalm:

Something like that should trigger assassinations if they actually do it.  (did I say that out-loud?)
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
Theft, pure and simple, ought to be a fun day of street riots.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
Coming to a nation near you.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
Expect major runs on banks in Greece, Spain, Portugal, and other Euro nations that are in bad condition fiscally.

One article said there were a lot of Russian billionaires with money in Cypriot banks . . . considering anyone in Russia who made billions has KGB/Party connections,  we could see a sudden spike in mortality of Cyprus' officials in the near future.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »

A democrat's wet dream come true.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »

Andrew Wilkow has played numerous clips of liberal think tanks suggesting that 401K's be raided, or forced into investing in US treasury interests.....some YouTube clips abound but I'm not adept at sharing YouTube links from my kindle yet....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Expect major runs on banks in Greece, Spain, Portugal, and other Euro nations that are in bad condition fiscally.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:19:08 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

One article said there were a lot of Russian billionaires with money in Cypriot banks . . . considering anyone in Russia who made billions has KGB/Party connections,  we could see a sudden spike in mortality of Cyprus' officials in the near future.

Hell, I have zero tied up in Cyprus, and I'd be willing to do it just on the principle of the thing, assuming I had good guarantees of my personal safety and could be assured of coming home to the wife and kids after said wet-work.
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »
OK, maybe now people will begin to understand that we are cattle; mere resources allowed to grow fat and kept around to be harvested when the time is right.

Just to make it clear, your government (where ever you may be) does not care about your wellbeing or security, just about your productivity. Edit: ...your productivity, and more importantly their claim to it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:01:52 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »
Reason #1045 why stuff like BitCoin, the Libertarians, and the AnCap's are "right", and the accusations the political Right is just the "other side of the coin".
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
And I don't suppose the Cyprians are allowed to own guns, either  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Reason #1045 why stuff like BitCoin, the Libertarians, and the AnCap's are "right", and the accusations the political Right is just the "other side of the coin".

^^^^^
Yep. I didn't become the anti-government nut I am overnight. Years of watching the corruption turned me to the dark side...
Hi.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
Nothing to see here, move along.  Mencken's quotes ring soooooo true.

"An election is an advance auction of stolen goods"

"Any right-thinking man must at times be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
Nothing to see here, move along.  Mencken's quotes ring soooooo true.

"An election is an advance auction of stolen goods"

"Any right-thinking man must at times be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".

What sort of crazy talk is that?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »
What sort of crazy talk is that?

If you have savings in US Dollars, this is happening to you almost annually as we inflate our money supply.

That's why I'm smart, I only have debt in US dollars!   :lol:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
IIRC, it's difficult to say the least.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »

IIRC, it's difficult to say the least.

Yeah....

(Comments apply to the internationally recognized Greek portion of the island) Cyprus has strict gun control. Private citizens are completely forbidden from owning handguns and rifles in any calber, even .22 rimfire. Only shotguns are allowed, and these require a license. Shotguns are limited to two rounds. The only shotguns typically sold in stores are double-barreled side-by-sides or over-unders. Pump actions and semiautomatics are prohibited. A private citizen can own a total of ten different shotguns. A citizen is not required to specify a reason for ownership to obtain a license, but most own their guns for hunting. Licenses are issued by provincial police. A gun license is required to buy ammunition, and ammunition sales are recorded. A shotgun owner may purchase up to 250 shells at one time. Cyprus also controls airguns, and airgun owners require a license.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics#Cyprus
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »
I read some more about this deal and I think it is worse than it first seemed to me after skimming Preacherman's assessment of it. Still pure theft, but organized theft. Germany and the EU is pushing it, possibly in an intentional shot at the Russian money. And pretty much strong-arming Cyprus since it is this or leave the eurozone. (Kinda funny how all the rats want to stay on the doomed ship.)

In Cyprus it is gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. Promising bank stock in compensation, and future bonds financed by natural gas they can't drill for because their good buddy Turkey thinks they own it. WTF.

Since this is pushed by the EU and IMF, damn right run the banks in every troubled eurozone country. Somewhere I read a stat that in Spain last year 1/6 of their GDP was withdrawn from state banks over a one month period.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:09 AM »

"May" raid bank accounts?

It would seem (see here, also links within the article) that this is already an accomplished fact.

It very much looks like the confiscation is a done deal, with supporting legislation to follow.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
If you have savings in US Dollars, this is happening to you almost annually as we inflate our money supply.

THIS!

Though, not quite annually, but QE-infinity ($40-80B/mo depending how its allocated) is close to / above a 5% monetary inflation (about 3-4% or so once real GDP growth is factored in) so given a typical savings yield of 0-1%, the Cypriot 6.75-9% haircut is simply 2-3 years of what is ALREADY happening here.

Toss in the now "normal" 60-70% of new treasury issue purchases by the fed and its even worse.  The only reason prices haven't been affected nearly as much is due to downward price pressure by elastic demand for certain things, but it can be plainly seen in commodities dominated by imports and priced in dollars (oil).

Don't know if in jest, but this actually makes sense...if debt cannot be eliminated, at least its being inflated away, provided your savings are inflation protected.

Which reminds me...time for another silver/gold buy.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
With the copious amounts of funds in the islands bank system belonging to, shall we say, questionable Russian fraternal organizations and members of said questionable Russian fraternal organizations I must say this sounds like a really, really poorly thought out plan.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
Quick!  Anyone see anything about how Iceland handled its financial crisis?

You most likely won't.  Both Iceland and Greece endured "haircuts".  Greece (European union) force Greece citizens to endure the haircut.  Iceland took a different tack.  Iceland made bankers take the haircut.  Iceland has // is recovering while Greece's agony is only started.  A banker bailout will only adjust the terms;  it will not reduce principal owed which is exactly what happens in bankruptcy.  Iceland reduced principal; Greece merely extended terms on principal owed. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/18/eurozone-crisis-cyprus-bailout-savers-markets

Now the banks are closed.

Gosh.  Wonder why?

Time to get cash back on all debit card transactions since you can't get your money out of the bank.

Also, Brit Tories suck.  They sucked 250 years ago, and they still suck.  Hoover vacuum suckage.

Tory MP Andrew Tyrie warned parliament that the Cyprus bailout plan risks "triggering a run on the banks", and criticised it as "badly thought through and dangerously slow".

Dangerously slow?  That's the point you want to make, on record?  It's better to just swoop in, in the dead of night and have people's money stolen?  You want to see banks on fire and managers lynched in the street over this?

Dangerously slow.

$Deity forbid people have the opportunity to be free from your idiotic machinations.

Effing Statist SOB. :mad:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »

Already been done.  Roosevelt and gold in 1930's.   ;)

Next stop: 401(k)'s and IRA's. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.