Author Topic: NYC Welfare Food Shipped to the Dominican Republic Then Sold on Black Market  (Read 20489 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://nypost.com/2013/07/28/nyc-welfare-food-is-shipped-in-barrels-to-the-dominican-republic-then-sold-on-the-black-market/

Careful, now.  This is one of those old-school Kim du Toit "Red Curtain of Blood" moments.  Just be sure no one is nearby when you read this.

Food-stamp fraud in New York has turned into foreign aid — to black-market profiteers in the Dominican Republic.

Last week, The Post revealed how New Yorkers on welfare are buying food with their benefit cards and shipping it in blue barrels to poor relatives in the Caribbean.

But not everyone is giving the taxpayer-funded fare to starving children abroad. The Post last week found two people hawking barrels of American products for a profit on the streets of Santiago.

“It’s a really easy way to make money, and it doesn’t cost me anything,” a seller named Maria-Teresa said Friday.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I don't care if it's being given away to blind, Dominican orphans with AIDS. It's wrong.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
While I haven't heard of this particular scam, I can't say that it surprises me. Entitlement fraud has been running rampant for many years.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Happens all over within the US.  There are massive underground economies of this stuff.  Folks on the draw buy stuff with their EBT and SNAP bennies.  Sometimes they sell it right back to the very same store they bought it from, at a discount.  It then gets sold all over again to someone else.  Sometimes they sell it to local businesses who need the stuff, like small restaurants or convenience stores.  Sometimes they just trade it all around among themselves, using it like a form of currency.

Cases of Pepsi are the trade/barter good of choice around these parts.  You'll see people pile out of Wally World with several carts overloaded with it.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Happens all over within the US.  There are massive underground economies of this stuff.  Folks on the draw buy stuff with their EBT and SNAP bennies.  Sometimes they sell it right back to the very same store they bought it from, at a discount.

Welcome to the concept of 'fungability'.  EBT dollars are almost as fungible as cash, since you can readily transform them into cash via methods like this.  Indeed, this is part of why just giving welfare recipiants cash is normally as good as giving them restricted goods - because if they want/need cash more than what you're giving them, they'll sell it for money, one way or another.

Ever consider that maybe the reason they're doing what they're doing is less because they're abusing the system than because the system isn't flexible enough to meet their REAL needs?

On that note I'll say that I support 'workfare' over 'welfare' in most cases.  They'll get unrestricted money in exchange for their work, but at least they'll have to work for it.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcEfOU0dKQ

One 5lb bag of each; per person, per week.   If everyone is getting them, then the barter/trade value is near zero (as the "market" supply is flooded), you want something more than beans and rice, I bet you can find a way to make some money to earn it.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:48:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/367903/white-ghetto-kevin-d-williamson

EBT fraud is very popular in Appalachia. Soda is the fungible commodity of choice, usually exchanged for Florida oxy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Huh. Soda.  This is not going to do much for the diabetes and tooth decay rates.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Huh. Soda.  This is not going to do much for the diabetes and tooth decay rates.

Its aight they gots the government to pays for the healthcare

Ever consider that maybe the reason they're doing what they're doing is less because they're abusing the system than because the system isn't flexible enough to meet their REAL needs?

Screw them. I see them getting into new cars that the rims alone are worth more than my truck. *expletive deleted*ck them.

Not to mention the whole Strip Clubs accepting EBTs thing that got exposed a while back.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:21:49 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcEfOU0dKQ

One 5lb bag of each person per week.   If everyone is getting them the barter/trade value is near zero (as the "market" supply is flooded), you want something more than beans and rice, I bet you can find a way to make some money to earn it. 
This I could get behind.
While a lot is drunk, as I understand it much of the soda is simply a liquid commodity and much of it is sold back to stores to resell again when the draw checks go out again.

HankB

• friend
While I haven't heard of this particular scam, I can't say that it surprises me. Entitlement fraud has been running rampant for many years.
I'd go so far as to say that today the main reason for massive unearned entitlement spending is to enable fraud.

(And if you crossed out "unearned entitlement" and replaced it with "government" . . . the statement would still ring true.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

fifth_column

• friend
Welcome to the concept of 'fungability'.  EBT dollars are almost as fungible as cash, since you can readily transform them into cash via methods like this.  Indeed, this is part of why just giving welfare recipiants cash is normally as good as giving them restricted goods - because if they want/need cash more than what you're giving them, they'll sell it for money, one way or another.

Ever consider that maybe the reason they're doing what they're doing is less because they're abusing the system than because the system isn't flexible enough to meet their REAL needs wants?

On that note I'll say that I support 'workfare' over 'welfare' in most cases.  They'll get unrestricted money in exchange for their work, but at least they'll have to work for it.

FTFY
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
If the US is providing any foreign aid to the DR, you can bet it costs US taxpayers more per box of Frosted Flakes than this system.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend

Screw them. I see them getting into new cars that the rims alone are worth more than my truck. *expletive deleted* them.

Them?

Boomhauer

• friends

Them?

The welfare sucking, won't work a job or contribute a thing to society, *expletive deleted*ing waste of oxygen shitbags. Clear now?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
The welfare sucking, won't work a job or contribute a thing to society, *expletive deleted* waste of oxygen shitbags. Clear now?

I guess I'm skeptical that you can tell who is who by sight.

Azrael256

• friend

If you're behind them in the checkout line, it's obvious.  Different button on the POS terminal.

Boomhauer

• friends

Ive been behind them enough in the grocery line. I know way to many of them who brag about how much money they are getting from the government. Ive seen it with my own two eyes. You can deny it all you want to but denial doesnt change reality. These *expletive deleted*ers have a better income than you or I and they dont have to earn it. Indeed, they've got the .gov taxing us and giving a portion of our income to them.

And when they DO work, they work the bare minimum they have to then they pull tax fraud. Ask Scout about that.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Welcome to the concept of 'fungability'.  EBT dollars are almost as fungible as cash, since you can readily transform them into cash via methods like this.  Indeed, this is part of why just giving welfare recipiants cash is normally as good as giving them restricted goods - because if they want/need cash more than what you're giving them, they'll sell it for money, one way or another.

On that note I'll say that I support 'workfare' over 'welfare' in most cases.  They'll get unrestricted money in exchange for their work, but at least they'll have to work for it.
Oh, c'mon.  The whole point of these 'supplemental nutrition' programs is to provide FOOD for people who need FOOD.  If the recipients don't really need help feeding themselves, then they shouldn't be getting anything under these programs.

Read the National Review article Rev posted.  It lists some of the common "real needs" people swap their food stamp bennies for: cigarettes, meth, beer, oxy contin, sexual favors.  Are you trying to suggest that these sorts of things are "real needs" that the taxpayer should subsidize for people in poverty?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:41:13 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

dogmush

• friend
Maybe I've just been numbed, but my Outrage Meter is only ticking.

The whole welfare program is a wasteful fraud ridden boondoggle that, at best, has poor results in helping people out of poverty.  And yet it will continue ad infinetum because it's "racist" to imply that people should be responsible for their and their family's lives. 

So I don't really care whether this particular dollar was spentwasted in NYC or DR.

Boomhauer

• friends
The welfare programs have been extremely successful...as a vote/political loyalty buying scheme. The FSA is rather effective.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
It doesn't help them out of poverty, it allows them to remain there.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
I love it when people talk about "workfare"

"I dont support welfare, but I support them working to earn it!"

They can. It's called a "job"

Unless you are physically or mentally incapable of working, *expletive deleted*ck yourself IMO.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
Ive been behind them enough in the grocery line. I know way to many of them who brag about how much money they are getting from the government. Ive seen it with my own two eyes. You can deny it all you want to but denial doesnt change reality. These *expletive deleted* have a better income than you or I and they dont have to earn it. Indeed, they've got the .gov taxing us and giving a portion of our income to them.

And when they DO work, they work the bare minimum they have to then they pull tax fraud. Ask Scout about that.

???  I haven't denied anything. I was just wondering how you knew that the people in the fancy cars were on welfare. You've explained it, so I guess now we know. Thanks.

HankB

• friend
???  I haven't denied anything. I was just wondering how you knew that the people in the fancy cars were on welfare. You've explained it, so I guess now we know. Thanks.
Just weighing in to say I've seen people in the grocery line use food stamps (now I guess it's a SNAP card) to pay for a shopping cart filled with prime steaks and then get into a new Lincoln or Caddy.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain