Author Topic: Geraldo weighs in  (Read 20491 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Geraldo weighs in
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
By word are you referring to police reports? I was still waiting to see em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »
And it's interesting that they claim they didn't know they were being filmed. Have you seen the longest available video? Seen the witness accounts?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Every time I read this thread, I'm reminded of an incident from 9 years ago here.  Two detectives arrest 2 young men for suspicion of murder.  One is found to have a .45 in his pocket.  Both are handcuffed and placed in cruisers.  One of them gets his hands from his back to his front (still cuffed), gets out of the car, and commences to run.  Cops shoot and kill fleeing handcuffed suspect.

One month later...
"Las Vegas Police Officers Actions Found Justifiable"  -KLAS TV News, Las Vegas.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/4909076/las-vegas-metro-police-shoot-and-kill-handcuffed-teen

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/4990822/las-vegas-police-officers-actions-found-justifiable

There has never been a "bad shoot" by cops in Las Vegas.
I had a cousin that was justifiably murdered by a Las Vegas cop. Kind of tends to color my views on these things a little.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
Tennessee v Garner  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner pretty much sets the stage these days on the "fleeing felon" rule.

There was a case in Cupeper Va a bit over 3 years ago that is still being beaten to death over at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99768-Culpeper-shooting .  The defense was that the driver was headed down the street towards downtown where there were a number of pedestrians who would be endangered.  It didn't work, although many observers (legal as well as lay) said it was well done.

Here we have a fleeing suspect (is failure to pay child support a felony?) that is alleged (for the nonce we will ignore any evidence to the contrary) to have had a TASER in his hand.  As an admirerer of great theater I would have liked to hear the explanation of how that endangered the lives of anybody who might have been in the direction he was running.  Sadly, I will apparently not have that opportunity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »
As a side note, and NOT about this specific incident (merely related in terms of hardware) i personally believe that without mitigating circumstances if someone else is the aggressor, and is pointing a taser at me, and I have a firearm, I would consider the taser to be grave harm and a potentially lethal threat (less lethal just means not invariably so, and we know people have died from it, let alone the fact they could taser you, then walk up and kill you), and that would be sufficient for the potentiality part of the SD aspect...if within 10-15ft, then also opportunity. 
What do you think?  Does DEFINED less lethal aggressor  mean ok lethal response?
What if they are 30ft away?  Is it a 21ft + taser range?  (If they are pointing and you aren't drawn)?

I wonder if there is case history on such an aspect?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
There has never been a "bad shoot" by cops in Las Vegas.
I had a cousin that was justifiably murdered by a Las Vegas cop. Kind of tends to color my views on these things a little.

That is an unfortunate fact.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
As a side note, and NOT about this specific incident (merely related in terms of hardware) i personally believe that without mitigating circumstances if someone else is the aggressor, and is pointing a taser at me, and I have a firearm, I would consider the taser to be grave harm and a potentially lethal threat (less lethal just means not invariably so, and we know people have died from it, let alone the fact they could taser you, then walk up and kill you), and that would be sufficient for the potentiality part of the SD aspect...if within 10-15ft, then also opportunity.  
What do you think?  Does DEFINED less lethal aggressor  mean ok lethal response?
What if they are 30ft away?  Is it a 21ft + taser range?  (If they are pointing and you aren't drawn)?

I wonder if there is case history on such an aspect?

Jurisdiction specific legal advice is critical for these sorts of questions - thatd be the only sure way to get a legal perspective.

Not advice, but as a general principle based on common law rules, you should always be able to clearly articulate in your mind why your life is in danger, and why using lethal force is the only way to stop the danger.   Focusing on any trigger circumstances or events (ie, in your house or out, gun visible or not) is a recipe for making a decision that may not have been necessary to save your life.  And if using force isn't necessary to save your life, the risk that someone else will review your choices (like a jury) is absolutely not worth it.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
My fear would be that once tased they gain access to any firearm I carried

birdman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »

Or could simply beat you to death. 

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 07:56:13 PM »
True particularly if that someone had just fought his way  back to his feet and disarmed you of that taser.
Its similar to the rabbit and the beagle
Rabbits running for its life beagles in it cause its his job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
Or could simply beat you to death. 

A real fear, but heavily dependant on the facts of each instance. If there are circumstances that clearly mitigate the risk, you can get into real trouble.

Of course, if a video shows up on the Internet of you shooting someone while they're at a distance running away, you can expect a murder charge no matter what story you give.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Facts like fighting for control of a weapon?
Couple factors that are different for a cop. Its not typically an option to throw up their hands and quit. Its not really sop. Folks actually expect them to keep after the guys they are arresting

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »

Think through that rule for a second - if a suspect is running to a place you can't see, he might have weapons there, particularly a house.  Does that mean any time a suspect runs a police shoot is good?

Scenarios for harm need to be reasonable and based on concrete facts, not fanciful or based on maybes.  They also can't depend on choices you make later.  Being at higher risk for a messy arrest because someone runs into an abandoned building isn't for example cause to shoot them before they get in the door.

The most disturbing element of support for the cop in this case is that supporters seem to view the gun as a compliance tool - keep resisting and it's the option that follows baton and tasers.  That is completely wrongheaded and a dangerous way to think about policing and state power.  

A police handgun serves the same purpose as a ccw, no more.  It is not there to ensure that people obey directions or submit to even lawful commands.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
Facts like fighting for control of a weapon?
Couple factors that are different for a cop. Its not typically an option to throw up their hands and quit. Its not really sop. Folks actually expect them to keep after the guys they are arresting

The handgun isn't a tool to help the cop carry out lawful instructions.  And if you watch the video, there's no struggle or even remotely arguable appearance of struggle when the shots are fired.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
It might well be close enough for a jury. A good defense guy can make that happen.

As to Scout's feMP I could see her being prosecuted if she let the guy go and he stabbed someone with that broken bottle. "Well why didn't you shoot him? Didn't you care that he cold have hurt someone?" So that was possibly a no-win situation for her.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 08:36:36 PM »

Doesn't work if the "threat" is 10 yards away and increasing the distance as fast as his legs will carry him AWAY FROM you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Hes got a real lawyer now. He might well opt for a bench trial. I might. I am not hip on how politicized the judiciary  is there. I have found its tougher to get a decent appeal off a bench trial too. Other members if the lawyers guild are less inclined to risk hurting a fellow members feelings. Plus a bench trial tends to be more controlled less openings for reversible error. And i would have to be planning on appeal as a backup.
Heck i would have to consider a manslaughter plea deal with the right sentencing recommendation. This is gonna be a political circus so there may be no offer.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:03 PM »
The handgun isn't a tool to help the cop carry out lawful instructions.  And if you watch the video, there's no struggle or even remotely arguable appearance of struggle when the shots are fired.
I think you are splitting hairs.  I don't think you can separate the 5 seconds of the actual shooting from everything else that occurred.  Not and be truly objective. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
As I don't have a dog in this fight, and can't recall- I'm fairly certain the officer's backup came from the direction the deceased was running,  no?

How long after the shoot did the other officer show up? It was less than a minute I think
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »
Assuming objectivity is a goal presumes facts not in evidence

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
Tennessee v Garner  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner pretty much sets the stage these days on the "fleeing felon" rule.

There was a case in Cupeper Va a bit over 3 years ago that is still being beaten to death over at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99768-Culpeper-shooting .  The defense was that the driver was headed down the street towards downtown where there were a number of pedestrians who would be endangered.  It didn't work, although many observers (legal as well as lay) said it was well done.

Here we have a fleeing suspect (is failure to pay child support a felony?) that is alleged (for the nonce we will ignore any evidence to the contrary) to have had a TASER in his hand.  As an admirerer of great theater I would have liked to hear the explanation of how that endangered the lives of anybody who might have been in the direction he was running.  Sadly, I will apparently not have that opportunity.

stay safe.

Well put, but at this point we know there was a 1.45 minute fight with a police officer, before a taser was used (and that potentially on the officer). I don't know if that makes him a violent felon but it does make him a felon who had a 1.45 minute fight with a cop.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »
I think you are splitting hairs.  I don't think you can separate the 5 seconds of the actual shooting from everything else that occurred.  Not and be truly objective. 

the difference between shooting someone who you are locked in struggle with, and shooting them in the back 10 yards away running, is not hair splitting.  

If you can't reassess your actions fast enough to account for the difference, you should not use a gun for SD.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
As a larger matter, automatically lining up to oppose the activists mostly just demonstrates that all parties to the issue are equally irrational and knee jerk.

Yes, obviously the activists will make a stink about this shooting.  They appear to be right to do so from the video.  There is no sense in finding reasons to make this like the ferguson shooting.

• friends
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Appear to be? Thats not the definitive i have come to expect

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
As a larger matter, automatically lining up to oppose the activists mostly just demonstrates that all parties to the issue are equally irrational and knee jerk.

Yes, obviously the activists will make a stink about this shooting.  They appear to be right to do so from the video.  There is no sense in finding reasons to make this like the ferguson shooting.
There aren't many activists on this one.  Maybe you?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge