Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE IN WASHINTON, DC!!!!  (Read 5082 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: EARTHQUAKE IN WASHINTON, DC!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Hey, you guys who belittle out pitiful little East Coast quakes, USGS has upgraded it:

TC

Officials with the U.S. Geological Survey confirmed a small earthquake occurred Tuesday afternoon about 1:30 p.m. The quake had a magnitude 2.0. It was centered three miles west of Annandale Va.
TC
RT Refugee

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Geeez, if we can get the east coast to fall into the Atlantic and the left coast to fall into the Pacific, then maybe Mayor Daley might get the message. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
TOKYO    A magnitude 6.8 earthquake off the Japanese coast rattled Tokyo early Thursday, seismologists and national television said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, though the quake woke up some residents of the capital, public broadcaster NHK said. No tsunami warning had been issued, it added.

The epicenter of the quake that struck at 1:45 a.m. was offshore, 100 miles northeast of Tokyo and at a depth of 21.7 miles underwater, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

NHK reported that a second quake hit in the same area about half an hour later with a magnitude of 5.3 on the Richter scale.

The broadcaster reported that power lines and communications were running normally and no injuries or minor damage had been reported. An hour later, regularly scheduled programing had resumed.

Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world, although Tokyo has not been hit with a major quake since the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake killed 140,000 people.

An earthquake of that size, about a magnitude 8, occurs once every 200 to 300 years.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »
One of my favorite mountain biking spots is pretty much right at the epicenter of that quake.

How cool would it have been to be riding there when the quake hit. Cheesy

Chris

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »
Tonight i see the attention whores in Reno are trying to grab the disaster spotlight with a mere "thousands" of earthquakes recently. Let us have our glory! It was a 2.0 for goodness' sake!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
WHERE THE HELL IS MY FEDERAL AID?

Never fear. Hep is on the way, because Brownie's doin' a helluva job.  laugh