Author Topic: the youth are killing us, conspiracy or idiocy?  (Read 5313 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
the youth are killing us, conspiracy or idiocy?
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:48:31 AM »
i wanted to post an article in memory of an aquantence, a good friends riding buddy, who i had the pleasure of hanging with a few times.

http://www.thedailystar.com/archivesearch/local_story_189040015.html

Franklin man, 47, killed in crash

By Jake Palmateer
Staff Writer

A town of Franklin man died Saturday after a minivan pulled into the path of his motorcycle in Cortland County.

Michael Farone, 47, succumbed to injuries sustained in the 1:30 p.m. crash and his wife, Lynda Bassette, a passenger on the motorcycle, was injured, according to Farone's family members.

The motorcycle was headed north on state Route 11 when a minivan entered the roadway from East Homer-Baltimore Road in the town of Preble, Cortland County deputies said in a media release issued Saturday.

The operator of the motorcycle and his passenger were taken by TLC Ambulance to University Hospital in Syracuse where the operator was later pronounced dead, deputies said.

Bassette suffered undisclosed injuries in the crash, but she was later listed Sunday night by hospital officials as being discharged.

Farone's family members said Bassette is expected to recover from her injuries.

Farone worked in the small-engine repair field in Afton and had worked with his father, Don Farone, at Otsego Outfitters in Oneonta.

"He was well-known in the community, and we are all going to miss him," Farone's brother-in-law, Robert Schorf, said Sunday night.

No arrangements for calling hours or funeral services have yet been made, Schorf said.

"At this point, we are gathering the family," Schorf said.

Bassette is the director of the Educational Opportunity Program at the State University College at Oneonta, according to the college's website.

Farone and Bassette were out riding with other couples when the crash occurred, Schorf said.

"It was one of the things he enjoyed," Schorf said.

A dispatcher at the Cortland County Sheriff's Department said Sunday afternoon there was no one on duty who could give additional information, such as the identity of the minivan driver, if any tickets were issued or any other factors in the crash. There was no updated media release, he said.

The original media release said no one in the minivan was injured.

a real nice guy, and he will be missed.

what the aritcle didn't mention was that this van was being driven by a kid with a learning permit (16 years old i'm told). while searching for this story i came across this:

http://www.thedailystar.com/archivesearch/local_story_190040020.html

Otsego man dies in crash

By Denise Richardson
Staff Writer

A Hartwick man died Monday after his motorcycle hit a Jeep at an intersection in the town of Otsego, deputies said.

Andrew L. Ellis, 23, was taken by ambulance to Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, where he was treated for head and chest trauma. He died at 4:48 p.m., Otsego County deputies and Otsego County Coroner James Dow said.

Ellis, who was wearing a helmet, hit the passenger side of the Jeep, deputies said.

The accident was the third serious crash within four days involving local men on motorcycles and the second resulting in a fatality. Michael Farone, 47, of Franklin, died Saturday after a minivan pulled into the path of his motorcycle in Cortland County.

Ellis' accident at 2:12 p.m. Monday happened at the intersection of state Route 28 and Johnstons Road, an area with limited-sight distance, deputies said.

According to a media release from deputies, Brittany R. Rombough, 18, of Cooperstown, was driving a 2004 Jeep Liberty north on Day Road when she stopped at the intersection with Route 28, looked in both directions and, after seeing no traffic, continued north and crossed Route 28 to enter Johnstons Road.

As Rombough was crossing the highway, Ellis was driving his motorcycle westbound, cresting a knoll in the roadway, deputies said. He tried unsuccessful;y to stop, hitting the Jeep on its passenger-side door.

A ``very limited sight distance in the area'' meant Rombough would not have seen the westbound vehicle as she entered the roadway, deputies said, and Ellis wouldn't have seen the Jeep.

Deputies said that neighbors interviewed Monday expressed concerns about accidents at the intersection and said they had tried to have a mirror installed to increase visibility.

``It's a bad intersection, coming off of Day Road,'' said Sheriff Richard Devlin Jr.

A caller to 911 reported the accident Monday, and Fly Creek and Cooperstown Fire Departments and deputies were dispatched to the scene, the release said.

Rombough, who had been wearing a seat belt, didn't have physical injuries but was taken by a private vehicle to Bassett to be checked, deputies said.

quite a coincidence i guess to have two stories in the same local paper in a two day period, but it struck home for me as i was a victum of a 17 year olds inattentaveness. my best friend was driving when a driver crossed the median on ny route 17, crushing our car and killing my friend. when asked what happened, she replied that she was looking at her new coat that she had just purchased.

when talking with another parent, he says he has caught his daughter texting when behind the wheel.

is there any way to get the idea of responsible driving (or responsibility in general) into their heads? (sound of hair being pulled out)

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: the youth are killing us, conspiracy or idiocy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:58:40 AM »
While the first one sounds if the driver of the mini van was at fault, I don't believe the second one was the car driver's fault.  Looks to me as the motorcycle rider either failed to stop or the intersection is improperly controled.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:59:58 AM »
I see more irresponsible drivers of middle age swerving their leviathan-sized SUVs all over the road with a cellphone jammed in their ear, or senior citizens barreling right through redlights in their aircraft-carrier-sized old Cadillacs.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:27:08 AM »
The youth of the age have ever been the bane of their elders.  Such is the way of the world.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:45:23 AM »
I agree with Maned.  I see bad drivers of all ages.  I noticed that the 2nd article didn't say how fast the motorcycle was going just that it was limited sight distance.  Back roads and small roads have a lot of places like that and a lot of people probably don't do a thorough job of looking for traffic.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 05:02:04 AM »
The problem of inattentiveness happens at all ages. Sadly, I can't think of a remedy other than greater fault accountability in the event of accidents (i.e., throwing around vehicular manslaughter a lot more). The problem with this is assigning fault, which currently is assigned based on skidmarks, eyewitnesses, incense, and moon phase, because nobody was there and watching the whole thing. Pervasive video surveillance at intersections would help with that, but I don't like cameras any more than anyone else does.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:05:48 AM »
I see more irresponsible drivers of middle age swerving their leviathan-sized SUVs all over the road with a cellphone jammed in their ear, or senior citizens barreling right through redlights in their aircraft-carrier-sized old Cadillacs.
Quite true, but I think those are different situations.

From my cursory review of the statistics, it appears that in a potentially dangerous situation where driving experience is likely to save a driver, "the youth" are very likely to be involved in some sort of fatal collision.

As for plain stupid... that seems to defy all demographic analyses, however, advanced experience will make dealing with an idiotic driver a good deal easier, so "the youth" are still at a disadvantage there.

It shouldn't be a shock, really.  Inexperienced fighter pilots have a short life expectancy.  Inexperienced drivers are the same way.  I don't think I have to defend the position that there is a positive correlation between experience and survival.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »
From my cursory review of the statistics, it appears that in a potentially dangerous situation where driving experience is likely to save a driver, "the youth" are very likely to be involved in some sort of fatal collision.

I see just the opposite, because reflexes dull with age.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 07:02:05 AM »
The youth are in fact more likely to be involved in collisions. But that has nothing to do with age  and everything to do with the fact that young people are generally just starting to drive, and are usually less experienced with the driving.

Move up the driving age to 45 and you'll have the same problem with 45-year-old new drivers. Of course, you'll have less accidents in total because less people will drive. At which point the usual suspects will claim victory and demand to raise the driving age to 46.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
Sad stories, but the fact is that motorcycles are just harder to see on the road, that's just one of the reasons they are dangerous to ride.

Just as a humorous aside, I totally rear-ended someone at a stoplight just last week.  It is the first accident I've ever caused (been in a couple others, not my fault!) and it was because I was checking oncoming traffic instead of watching the car in front of me (who was in the process of pulling out but apparently changed their mind...  angry ).  I'm currently 31, and believe it or not I'm not trying to kill people who are older than me. 

Conspiracy averted. 

Idiocy confirmed.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

pappy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
I volunteer on the local recue squad as a first responder and I see many more wrecks involving young people. Just my 2 cents.....

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »
I'm sorry about your riding buddy.

I've been "assaulted" while riding by automobile drivers of every age. While the very young and the very old may be more accident-prone, I find that inattentiveness and incompetence knows no age barriers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
is there any way to get the idea of responsible driving (or responsibility in general) into their heads? (sound of hair being pulled out)

In a word -- No.

Article in the newspaper the other day reported that texting while driving is now "epidemic." So is yakking on the cell phone, even though it's been illegal in this state for two or three years, but prior to seeing the article the idea that people would try to text while driving had never entered my techno-challenged head.

However, I see no fault in the second of the articles you cited. There ARE intersections with inadequate sight distances, and there's just nothing you can do about it. There's one near my home. It's a four-way, two local roads crossing a state route. I will not use that intersection on the local road from the south during daylight. The state road has a 40 MPH speed limit, which means most people drive 50, and you can't see over the crest of the hill to the east. It's better at night because you can see the headlights. Everyone knows the intersection needs to be rebuilt, but the town and the state can't agree on who pays what percentage, and the town doesn't want to give up a corner of a field that would be needed to realign the two mis-aligned local roads.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »
It's really outrageous how many people I see on the roads holding up a phone, punching numbers, or talking while swerving back and forth.

I think there's a real failure in the education system to impress on folks that this is not just dangerous, but criminal. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
Eating while driving, makeup application while driving, talking to the person next to you, and texting are all on my list of things I hate on the road.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
How about people who talk on cell phones while riding their motorcycles? Yep, I've seen some do that.  rolleyes

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 08:01:15 PM »
How about people who talk on cell phones while riding their motorcycles? Yep, I've seen some do that.  rolleyes

Crazy...but at least not nearly as likely to kill someone else.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »

In a word -- No.

I think the method usually involves painful consequences for bad behavior, applied consistently. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
Eating while driving, makeup application while driving, talking to the person next to you, and texting are all on my list of things I hate on the road.

Huh? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
As in the idiots talking to the person sitting next to them in the passenger seat as opposed to watching the road.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.