Author Topic: Asus eeePC wireless problem  (Read 5111 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Asus eeePC wireless problem
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=12998

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=24931

Here are a couple of threads that seem to be on point to the original problem.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Millcreek, saw those threads and tried the same fixes without success.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »
Chris,

Could it have been a port issue?

This sounds somewhat similar to the problems some people have had with their wireless XBox connections and routers on Microsquash's approved list.

Several friends of mine ended up calling their router help line and had to modify router settings for the ports (it's been awhile, but I seem to recall it being a port issue).

Once they did that, connection problems were solved.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
What do you mean by ports?  Channels maybe?  Tried changing the channel from the default of "1" to "2" to see if it was an interference issue.  No dice.  It doesn't matter now.  We replaced the laptop with an Acer Aspire One with WinXP.  It saw and logged into the wireless network without an issue.  XP will be familiar to MIL and will run any app she wants.  The Acer has more memory,  more storage, better expandability, better quality, and was the same price.  I'm in the process of cleaning off the junk and configuring it for best performance and usability in such a small form factor.

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
Chris - I love my Aspire One, but it too has network issues on the linux version. Not sure about the XP version, I do seem to recall that some blamed the hardware, but could be wrong. I can normally resolve it by putting it into sleep mode and then waking it up immediately, but no official reliable fix that I am aware of.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »
Chris,

Not channels, it was something about the communications exchange settings on the router. I don't know if ports is correct or not, but I knw it was not as simple as changing channels.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Chris - I love my Aspire One, but it too has network issues on the linux version. Not sure about the XP version, I do seem to recall that some blamed the hardware, but could be wrong. I can normally resolve it by putting it into sleep mode and then waking it up immediately, but no official reliable fix that I am aware of.

I noticed the Aspire has the same wifi manufacturer as the Asus.  Since setting up the Aspire, I've also noticed a touch of flakiness, but it's far more stable than the Asus.  I may drop back to a slightly less uptight security posture if it continues to be flaky (flaky being it loses the connection from time to time).  I had also been making many changes to the router, and we had so many systems on within a short period of time we used up all the DHCP leases (only allowed for 5 addresses at first).  I think once I leave the router alone for a bit, it'll settle down and things will be stable again.

Not channels, it was something about the communications exchange settings on the router. I don't know if ports is correct or not, but I knw it was not as simple as changing channels.

Brainfart...I know exactly what you're referring to.  That has nothing to do with the issue I'm having. 

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 12:28:35 AM »
I switched from eeepc to Aspire One. The wireless has been much better on the Aspire with the same OS and drivers. I really think the wireless hardware on the eeepcs is just poor, or has a bad antenna design, or something.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine