Author Topic: My New Political Beliefs  (Read 4628 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: My New Political Beliefs
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
Keep developing. As the man once said, if you haven't discarded or adopted a major position in the last year, you're either dead or very stupid.
I would disagree with this statement and substitute that you should be constantly questioning your beliefs and ideas.  Whether you change or discard them depends on what answers you found.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
No questions, but your new-found enlightenment contains a bit of a logical disconnect:

You don't accept the concept of rights or natural laws, yet you accept that the Founding Fathers had a good idea. Are you aware that the Bill of Rights was written with the firm belief by the Founders that Man does enjoy certain "unalienable" [natural, God-given] rights?

Everyone is. It was written by some of the same people who signed the Declaration of Independance. Their best idea was our form of government. That is what I was refering to.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
A thought experiment on the connection between freedom and rights:

You seem to place a lot of importance on freedom.  Why should people be free?  Why shouldn't they be controlled by people that are smarter than they?  Why should our economic well-being be left up to the whims of the wealthy?  Shouldn't our economic progress be carefully guided by well-educated government officials? 

And don't make the mistake of thinking that this reflects my own beliefs.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 10:53:55 PM »
I would disagree with this statement and substitute that you should be constantly questioning your beliefs and ideas.  Whether you change or discard them depends on what answers you found.   

Indeed.  Discarding a sound answer, simply because it's old and you haven't changed your mind lately, strikes me as pretty dumb.

You should change your mind only as often as you have good reason to believe you are wrong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:01:22 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Indeed.  Discarding a sound answer, simply because it's old and you haven't changed your mind lately, strikes me as pretty dumb.

You should change your mind only as often as you have good reason to believe you are wrong.

Agreed, but I think the intent of my post was fairly clear.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
It was fairly clear, but only true for those who start out being wrong about a good many "major" things.  You poor dear.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife