Author Topic: Vegas Shootout  (Read 1626 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Vegas Shootout
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581912,00.html

A gunman opened fire in the lobby of a federal building in downtown Las Vegas on Monday, killing a court officer and wounding a deputy U.S. marshal before he was shot to death.

Dave Oney, spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service, told Fox News that the deputy marshal and a court security officer were shot at approximately 8 a.m. PT in the lobby of the Lloyd D. George Federal Courthouse.

The 48-year-old deputy marshal was hospitalized; the 65-year-old security officer died.

FBI Special Agent Joseph Dickey said the gunman died across the street shortly after the shootout. The man's identity and motive were not immediately known.

A passerby, who was reporting for jury duty, caught dramatic cell phone footage of the shooting, which revealed that more than 40 shots were fired.

Click here to see the video

Authorities believe the shooter acted alone, Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Roxanna Lea Irwin said.

The building was evacuated, police and news helicopters circled overhead, and Las Vegas police cordoned off the area for several blocks. A 16-story state and local courthouse two blocks away was locked down as a precaution.

After police arrived, paramedics wheeled at least two people down a ramp to ambulances.

Witnesses said a man wearing combat boots and fatigues was found dead in the bushes near the courthouse, Fox5Vegas.com reported.

Dickey called the building evacuation "standard procedure" in such an incident, and said it was "for the safety of everybody in the place."

Las Vegas police spokeswoman Barbara Morgan said the shooter had been shot in the head.

"It looks like he went in there and just started unloading," Morgan said.

The Lloyd D. George U.S. Courthouse and Federal Building is named for a longtime senior federal judge who still hears cases. It has federal courts and offices for federal officials including U.S. Sens. Harry Reid and John Ensign. Neither was in the building at the time, authorities said.

Irwin said she saw shotgun casings on the floor of the federal building lobby.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7HiFbJyrzk

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3959962/unbelievable/?playlist_id=87249

Harry Reid's office is in that building.  He's rather unpopular right now.

[/speculation]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
Re: Vegas Shootout
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
If I had been in the area when all that gunfire occured, I wouldn't have been taking cell phone video . . . I would have been putting something solid between myself and wherever I thought the gunfire was coming from.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
If I had been in the area when all that gunfire occured, I wouldn't have been taking cell phone video . . . I would have been putting something solid between myself and wherever I thought the gunfire was coming from.

Which is more important: your life, or becoming a 60-second celebrity? ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

Umm, umm ... err ... WAIT! Don't rush me!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »

I have NO desire to risk my life for any amount of fame.

Of course, a better question is how much is that video worth to news organizations...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
Quite the little fusillade in that video. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Quite the little fusillade in that video. 

In the audio, you mean.  I don't see anything in the video, do you?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/22119310/detail.html

Security A Concern?

The shootings marked a tragic beginning to 2010 in Las Vegas and raised questions about security at public buildings.

Built in the early 2000s, the Lloyd George building was said to be one of the safest in the country and was designed to meet security standards enacted after the Oklahoma City bombing.

But those improvements, mainly designed to protect from bomb blasts, did not prevent the gunman from opening fire in the lobby.

Great-googlymoogly, how much freakin' security do you people need?

A gunman with a shotgun, outgunning the security in the lobby, with the element of surprise on his side, was stopped after only taking one life.

Do you really want INVINCIBLE security for a Federal building?  I don't.  I firmly believe if someone wants to trade their life to take out a government employee, they should be able to do so.  The only alternative to that, is callous indifference on the part of our elected officials that results in despotic legislation and heavy-booted enforcement.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »
Do you really want INVINCIBLE security for a Federal building?  I don't.  I firmly believe if someone wants to trade their life to take out a government employee, they should be able to do so.  The only alternative to that, is callous indifference on the part of our elected officials that results in despotic legislation and heavy-booted enforcement.

Yeah, it's not like government employees are people or anything.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
Was this guy ONLY armed with a shotgun?  I have not heard anything else. If so, spray and pray was involved with the LE, big time. I know defending yourself is good, but come on. It's a wonder with that much lead flying that innocents were not hit.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.