Author Topic: So....how was your Labor Day?...  (Read 11399 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
So....how was your Labor Day?...
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
I got to spend mine helping my inlaws save their house & cattle from a wildfire. Still not out of the woods on the house, but the cows are evac'd to safer pastures. Gonna be a long night on firewatch...all prayers are appreciated....

MrsSmith...maybe moving to Texas ain't such a great idea just now...that is, unless you like everything you own smelling like the inside of a wood smoker....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Azrael256

• friend
Re: So....how was your Labor Day?...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
I want to crack a joke about cows and smokers, but I've dealt with wildfires before, so it's not really funny.

Good luck with it.  Praying for rain.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
Best of luck with the wildfires.

Only smoke at my place was from hickory under a big ole ham from a hog I raised.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
Finished painting the new horse shed in the am, only about a year after we built it.

Took a ride after lunch.  It was hot, even though it started out at 39 degrees this morning.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
I ate a bunch of cookies, drank a lot of milk, and got some good gear and a staff for my mage.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
Cleaned the garage out, found out I do have a 2 car garage. Had to clean it out for the Iowa State vs Iowa game next weekend. I have a screen and LCD projector, have a few friends over and its cheaper than going to the game or watching it in a bar.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Spent the day with my son.  RC Car, Trip to Home Depot and Gander Mountain, some reloading and dinner at the neighbors.  Oh, and home from the hospital.  That made it all good.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
Read. Bought some books at low prices from a liquidating Borders. Had grilled bison burgers. Dog flipped out, seeing deer for the first time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »
Slept in till nearly 7am (late for me), fixed a spinach, mushroom, jalapeno, and pepperjack cheese omelet for breakfast, got most of the painting done in the kitchen, fixed a pot of chili for dinner, watched the latest Dr Who with Thing 1 (she's becoming a Dr Who fan), and loaded about half a box of 44mag (10.3gr Unique with a 260gr LSWC cast by yours truly).

Now I'm going to walk the dog and call it a day.

Chris

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
Stained my deck.  Back hurts pretty seriously now.  Still mobile, but not by a big margin.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
Went to work, fielded about 60 phone calls asking if we were open on Labor Day, had a few people surprised that we were still open for our usual 8am to 8pm.

Got a chuckle out of somebody that asked for mums.  "Yeah, we've got some left, not exactly sure how many though.  Somewhere between 20 and 25... thousand." Cracks me up when people get here and ask which aisle they're in.  "Uhm, head straight back and you'll find them.  They're in aisles 10 through 40."  We've literally got enough to cover half a football field.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:42 AM »
Just worked all day here at the computer, the same as every other day. The only breaks were to take the dog outside in a driving rain to do his business.

Beats fighting wildfires, though.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »
Recovered from shooting a wedding.  Was on my feet from 8am to 11:30pm Sunday.  Got up at 10am, played with the kids, took a try at sorting through 1850 photos (18MP, RAW+JPG = 56 gigabytes), went grocery shopping.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 04:01:29 AM »
Too bad about the fires.  Best of luck.

Made a great little bachelor's µ-wave breakfast. Two link sausages smothered with "egg beaters," those eggs in a 1-pint carton, dashed with oregano, basil, garlic powder, thin slice of pepper jack cheese,  Prep time 90 seconds, nuke time 3:30 in 700 Watt µ-wave.  

Paid some bills, discovered I was  almost out of the "Forever" stamps, used two old 42¢ stamps on one envelope just to get rid of them.  Spendthrift!  Just wasted 40¢!  Gnashed teeth and wrung hands over that, vowed to get a mess of 1¢ stamps next time I went to the Post Office so I could use up the rest of the old 42¢ stamps.  They don't call me a world-class cheapskate for nuthin', you know.

Called two sons, chatted a while with each.  

Found Harbor Freight coupons in American Rifleman, decided I wanted to get one of their 400/800 Watt inverters at $19.99 for power failures, went out and got that.

Discovered the spare car battery I keep around had self-discharged to 8.2 volts, so could not test the inverter, set up charger for the battery.  No wonder.  It's been out on the balcony for six months with its little loose electrons drifting around on sulphate ions and occcasionally hitting one of the positive plates and finding a new home there.  Or however that works.

Stopped by the laundry room to check the notices to see if the apartment complex was having a Labor Day barbecue over at the other building.  Nope, not this year.  Manager once told me she hated those soirees, they were just an opportunity for all the residents to complain to her about this-a and that-a.  I recalled that a long time ago I found that if something were bad enough for me to complain, somebody else would complain about it... so she loves me because I never bitch about this-a or that-a.

Battery voltage 12.6, checked out inverter with a light load.  Works.  Continued charging at about 1 1/2 amps.

Read some more of  Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day."

Vacuumed the floor.

Took a nap.

Had a modest dinner, two franks cut up and mixed into some lentil soup µ-waved three minutes, and a couple of pieces of celery.

Took another nap, woke up at 12:30 AM today, Tuesday, fired up the computer to see what was happening on the boards, and here I am.

Battery's still charging.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:20:57 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »
A hundred bucks at Bass Pro shops. 
Almost two hours outside with the kids.
Some COD time.
Ribs on the BBQ.
Couch snuggle time with the little woman.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »
Couch snuggle time with the little woman.

So...wife was out of town?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »
So...wife was out of town?....  =|

I didn't say anything about any hookers....  >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
I didn't say anything about any hookers....  >:D

Me neither....but you've mentioned that you live in a "nice" neighborhood....  ;)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:46 AM »
Completely forgot it was a holiday until Ben mentioned throwing burgers on the grill in the middle of the day. Spent 8 hours with my web guy getting site cleaned up and pages built. Could have scheduled it for today and done "holiday" things but it didn't occur to me. Went out to get a bite to eat and a couple beers with web guy and couple of my staff showed up so we ended up talking work. Oh well. Productive day even if not terribly exciting.

Seeker - between controlled burns in SC and the Okeefenokee being on fire few times, this has been the summer of smoke in Savannah, so I'm used to it. Hope your family (and their property) is all safe and sound.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
Me neither....but you've mentioned that you live in a "nice" neighborhood....  ;)

True.  Guess I should call them "call girls" or "dates" instead....until they're dead, then they become hookers.
JD

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Got up and ran about 3 miles or so, went back to sleep for a few hours.

Then went ate lunch, played on the computer, loaded 7 x 30 rd magazines for my M4, read, ate dinner, went and "rented" movies, played on internet, went and watched Cars 2, went back to room and watched "rented" movies (Unstoppable and The Men Who Stare at Goats).
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
spent most of sunday and monday at the hospital as an orthopedic surgeon worked to put my daughters arm back together.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
spent most of sunday and monday at the hospital as an orthopedic surgeon worked to put my daughters arm back together.

That sounds like it sucked.  What happened?  How is she doing now?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Visited my Grandfather on his deathbed a few times over the weekend.

He was in his 90's, and had a good run, lots of kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids to show for it, so its not too terrible though.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »
Studied for the Security+ test, which is today.

That's pretty much all.