Author Topic: So....how was your Labor Day?...  (Read 11398 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: So....how was your Labor Day?...
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
That sounds like it sucked.  What happened?  How is she doing now?

she took a fall of 13' fall onto concrete, fortunatly bouncing off a few things that slowed her down.  snapped her ulna and dislocated her radius. her pain is much relieved after the second casting, and she is resting.  if i have time i will post more later.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Whoa....  Glad it wasn't worse.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »
True.  Guess I should call them "call girls" or "dates" instead....until they're dead, then they become hookers.

:facepalm: ....don't you ever watch "Desperate Housewives"?.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=desperate+housewives&aq=0&oq=Desperate

Whoa....  Glad it wasn't worse.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ditto....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
My Labor Day was uneventful. Just like I like it. A couple of long walks with the dog; and I made swordfish steaks with a lemon-pepper/green chile sauce and a side of steamed shrimp.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
I hosted a party for some friends...  Went well, much beer consumed, meat grilled (including bacon wrapped hotdogs), had a campfire and just an all around good time.

she took a fall of 13' fall onto concrete, fortunatly bouncing off a few things that slowed her down.  snapped her ulna and dislocated her radius. her pain is much relieved after the second casting, and she is resting.  if i have time i will post more later.

Wow, that sucks.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Drove to San Antonio and visited my parents. Got to see some good friends I rarely spend time with anymore. Wasn't feeling well, and I despise holiday driving on I35, but it was worth it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
I spent all day driving from NW Washington back to Montana.  It was a good drive though.  The funny thing (and I only very slightly exacerbate) in Washington when anywhere near a town it seemed like there was always somebody pulled over by the state patrol within view.  As soon as I crossed into Idaho I never saw another cop.

I may have set a land speed record for a full sized pickup with a V6 from the Montana border to Missoula on I90!  As soon as I hit Spokane I figured my arrival time and I made it to my driveway within 30 seconds of it   =D

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
holiday driving on I35,

That sucks.

Visited my Grandfather on his deathbed a few times over the weekend.

My condolences. Lost my Grandfather about 2 and a half months ago. Took a while for me to get over it.

I saw the new Fright Night. Was pretty good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »

Went to a buddy's place.  Ended up staying a lot longer than intended.   Wound up talking to this really nice redheaded Irish lady that grew up in South Africa.  One of her first comments was after I remarked that folks shouldn't let me drink anymore as I had to drive like two hours.  She raises an eyebrow, and in a perfect Irish/UK/SA accent, perfectly level, says "Quite being such a ***** and drink it!"

Naturally, caught my interest.  Started talking to her on facebook.  Here's hoping.   =D

Then I went to another party in "Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjos" country.  Where yes, they had banjos. 

Good food, lots of guns, traded some tritium for road flares, etc. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
Went to Silver Falls State Park for a bike ride with my wife.  After returning home I finished another board for my homebrew µC project development system.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »
Only our Rev would be trading radioactive substances for road flares on Labor Day.  Kind of makes you wonder what he plans for the road flares.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
Good food, lots of guns, traded some tritium for road flares, etc. 

This is the start for what will be a VERY interesting story, I'm sure....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »
What's the half-life of road flares and how do you mount them on guns?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
I just got home from my Labor Day.  =D

Labor Day is one holiday I have a rock-solid tradition to observe every year: the Mackinac Bridgewalk.  This was the first year doing it as a single person.  I started going (and bringing the family) the year my first daughter was born, so this was our sixth one.  Usually I drive up early in the morning and then stay to camp the night after, or at least that is my preferred plan, and what I did this year.

Left around 2 am with two sleeping and pajama-clad kiddos, a humongous double jogging stroller, and a big tote full of camping gear, and every blanket I could get my hands on. 

Crossed the bridge at 7:30--the runners were started to reach the end (Lucky bastards!  There's a lottery for the 200 spots allocated to runners, and I have yet to get in.  I have a serious jones to run the bridge, hence my nick change), and we passed what looked like the "governor's party" the official leader of the bridgewalk (Jenny usually ran it, until she had some health issues the last few years.  No idea about Snyder.)

Met my cousins, walked across the bridge for the sixth time.  A good time was had by all.  Well, mostly--my younger kiddo is a champion wrestler and enjoys running away.  At a certain point, she tends to get willful and difficult what with insisting she MUST either run into traffic or off the side of the bridge, so I got engage in a mobile wrestling match for a while. 

The afternoon kind of sucked though.  Took a boat to that blighted spot of misery known as Mackinac Island because kiddo likes the boat ride, wasted way too much time enjoying the aroma of the picturesque fudge and horse-piss, eventually got back to St. Ignace in the UP and eventually made my way to camp.  At least one of my cousins tagged along for that part, so I had some help with the kiddos.  Mackinac Island truly sucks.  It is a phenomenon I do not understand in the least, and it did not contribute to the general awesomeness of the day.

Sat around a campfire for a while, ate stuff, slept, woke up, sat around a campfire, ate stuff.

Absolutely exhausting, what with having had just about no sleep for the past week followed by an all-nighter of driving, followed by a long, long day, but I managed to not actually fall into the campfire when I kept nodding off over dinner, so it's all good. 

I am seriously regretting having come home today.  Should have stayed another night.  Kiddo would have missed another day of school, but really, we needed the break and the camping more than she needs the day of school.  Next year, I'll avoid the thirty-hour camping trip.

Don't know how, but I wish I could figure out a way to avoid the joys of an early-morning pit stop that requires waking two kids, hauling out and assembling a ginormous stroller, wrestling it through a bucnh of doors, etc.

All in all, better without the ex than with him, despite sundry inconveniences.  I know I did less work this year than I did last year when I had a "partner."  And it's always great spending time with my cousins, another chance to be not entirely on my own.

Next Bridgewalk can't come soon enough for me.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 05:56:25 AM »

That's the kind of stuff that'll put gray in you're hair and pucker your sphincter. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 05:18:48 AM »
13 hours on the road returning from Atlanta (DragonCon RULES!) to NoVA, after 5 hours sleep the preceding night.  Was 10.5 hours driving down there, and we left Atlanta at 7:22A Labor Day - ran into a parking lot on I-95 south of Fredericksburg ~5P, a little over half an hour's normal driving time from home, and bailed to US 1 which got us into Fburg - where it also became a parking lot.  We made it out of Fburg at nearly 8P, and made it home ~8:30P via US 1/Rt 123.  Reports of multiple crashes on both major roads.  That drive SUCKED.

Not as bad as falling and breaking arm bones, of course.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
What's the half-life of road flares and how do you mount them on guns?

I'm trying to think what kind of a big frickin' gun he must be planning that will need road flares for night sights.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:01 AM »
Only our Rev would be trading radioactive substances for road flares on Labor Day.  Kind of makes you wonder what he plans for the road flares.

It says volumes when you focus on a few grams of tritium instead of a hawt redhead Irish South African lady.  Even I have better prioritization skills, dude.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
It says volumes when you focus on a few grams of tritium instead of a hawt redhead Irish South African lady.  Even I have better prioritization skills, dude.
Meh. Show me a redhead who can boost the yield of a fission device.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »

Married to my lady, I'm not going to be focusing on a hawt redhead Irish South African lady.  A little something called self preservation.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
13 hours on the road returning from Atlanta (DragonCon RULES!) to NoVA, after 5 hours sleep the preceding night.  Was 10.5 hours driving down there, and we left Atlanta at 7:22A Labor Day - ran into a parking lot on I-95 south of Fredericksburg ~5P, a little over half an hour's normal driving time from home, and bailed to US 1 which got us into Fburg - where it also became a parking lot.  We made it out of Fburg at nearly 8P, and made it home ~8:30P via US 1/Rt 123.  Reports of multiple crashes on both major roads.  That drive SUCKED.

Not as bad as falling and breaking arm bones, of course.

There are a couple of Holidays I figuratively throw the car keys down the well and stay home if at all possible.  Local errands, OK, but anything involving highways, forget it.  My own poor driving skills come nowhere near matching the superlative and excellent driving that takes place on the highways during some holidays.  I know when I've been outclassed.

(Sorry to hear about the busted bones.  Hope she's feeling better and has a quick recovery.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:12:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 05:55:41 PM »
There are a couple of Holidays I figuratively throw the car keys down the well and stay home if at all possible.  Local errands, OK, but anything involving highways, forget it.  My own poor driving skills come nowhere near matching the superlative and excellent driving that takes place on the highways during some holidays.  I know when I've been outclassed.

(Sorry to hear about the busted bones.  Hope she's feeling better and has a quick recovery.)

Terry, 230RN

In order to go to DragonCon, I don't have a choice - I *HAVE* to drive on that holiday.  They only ever hold it in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, and my wife and I take enough costumes to stuff a minivan full to the roof between us, so we can't fly (and we'd have to deal with horrendous traffic anyways, in Atlanta and again at Dulles, if we took less stuff and flew).  So, yeah, I chose to deal with the problem in order to do what I wanted to do.  It still sucked.

Though again, not as much as falling 13' onto concrete and breaking arm bones.  Ouch.  I too hope she's feeling better by now.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Labor Day was a day of labor:  Southern Oregon to McClellan CA and the industrial park that was made from McClellan AFB.  After seven weeks medical down time, it was nice to work again, though might have been nicer had the air conditioner worked better.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »

You were trading actual grams of tritium? How many semi loads of road flares did you get?

I spent my day working at Walmart with not enough cashiers and way to many customers. It was brutal.

I just got home from my Labor Day.  =D

Labor Day is one holiday I have a rock-solid tradition to observe every year: the Mackinac Bridgewalk.  This was the first year doing it as a single person.  I started going (and bringing the family) the year my first daughter was born, so this was our sixth one.  Usually I drive up early in the morning and then stay to camp the night after, or at least that is my preferred plan, and what I did this year.

Which lanes do they have you walk on? I'm semi interested in doing it but wifey is sorta terrified of the inner lanes made of grating.
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
Meh. Show me a redhead who can boost the yield of a fission device.

Sigh.   Sadly, I can.  But she's married.   :/