Author Topic: Marine Veteran critically injured at Occupy Oakland  (Read 29834 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Marine Veteran critically injured at Occupy Oakland
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
KGB,  Possibly.  I can't see everything from that video.  I did watch it several times, and in slow motion and couldn't tell.  I do know from experience that pro-masks make it very difficult to see everything around you.  I won't claim to know exactly what happened, especially from the one video.  But the tone of both the video narrator and Seenterman's OP raise my BS flag.  Anytime someone feels the need to lead me to their conclusion so blatantly I have to wonder why.

Oakland PD does have a bit of a rep for being hands on. (remember the BART thing?)  But I didn't really see it in that video.  I saw protesters acting the fool, and cops standing a cordon line and some tear gas.  Beyond that it's all speculation.

Note to Self, however.  When the PD gives you an order of dispersal and 5 min, be somewhere else in 5 min.

Hope the guy get's better though.  Occupy stupid crap is a *expletive deleted*ty thing to get killed over.

ETA: While I watch yet another vid.  From a tactics standpoint, if you're standing a cordon line (Using bodies to block a route or area) you don't break it for downed bad guys.  If you do, then you lose line integrity and the ability to deny the route/area.  from a purely riot control standpoint the LEO's did the right thing by not going over.  Anyone got the radio logs to see if they called for a medic for the downed protester?

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
No, I read an inflammatory post, watched a video, and saw something that with just a smidge of perspective looked like a bad call in combat.

I rewatched the video a few times and here's my take on it.

Scott goes down between the :20 - :22 second mark.
The cop who tosses the CS grenade looks directly at Scott at the :30 mark while 2 - 3 people are near him.
The cop then steps back to blend it with the line of other officers.
The grenade is then tossed at the :34 second mark.

My take: The cop knew exactly what he was doing and knew he was wrong to do so which is why he backed up, to blend in with the sea of uniforms. Can't complain charge someone with police brutality if you can identify them. I hesitate to call that "combat" not a single one of the other 30 or so officers appeared scared or threatened. They where all just standing there watching, not a single one of them reacts in any offensive way. Why does this one cop feel the need to use a CS grenade?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
Why does this one cop feel the need to use a CS grenade?
Why does a dog lick himself?
"It's good, though..."

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
Are you calling a CS "grenade" an explosive device, or are you talking about something else?

Are we really going to quibble about this?
Yes I'm calling the CS grenade an explosive device. I don't know why you put "quotes" around the word grenade because that's what their called. You can check the link CSD provided.

http://combinedsystems.com/csi_mil/TearBallMultiEffect.aspx

Bottle rockets are considered explosives and from the video whatever when off had a much bigger explosion that a bottle rocket, so yes explosive device.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
Ok. Watched the slowmo vid.

Yes, the cops threw the whatever.

Which was a bad call IMHO.

However, Scott had some aid Before the crowd arrived. And a lot of that crowd looked like looky loos instead of actually offering aid.

So, my latest conjecture of a possibilty, which I should note is possibly the stupidest thing one could do and, yet, entirely plausable in a stress induced state, because lets face it, such causes stupidity.

Did the cop through the whatever to get rid of the crowd so that scott could actually reseave some aid?

Could he have though the crowd presented danger to the injured man?

Note that the whatever was thrown very carefully and thrown several feet beyond the injured man.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
I'm "quibbling," because I thought we were talking about something more like a smoke "grenade," which, regardless what you call it, is not an explosive device. It just releases smoke. That is the sort of CS "grenades" that have been used on me, so that is what I'm familiar with.I was unaware that any grenade on the market mixed explosives with gas.

But like you said, we can't all be up to date with the latest stuff. Thanks for explaining.

I don't feel the need to quibble about my use of quotation marks. I thought perhaps you were confused by the term, and that is why you called it explosive.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
I'm "quibbling," because I thought we were talking about something more like a smoke "grenade," which, regardless what you call it, is not an explosive device. It just releases smoke. That is the sort of CS "grenades" that have been used on me, so that is what I'm familiar with.I was unaware that any grenade on the market mixed explosives with gas.

But like you said, we can't all be up to date with the latest stuff. Thanks for explaining.

I don't feel the need to quibble about my use of quotation marks. I thought perhaps you were confused by the term, and that is why you called it explosive.

As an aside, did you notice the reporter on the aireal video say it was tear gas?

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Coulda been worse. They could've used Fentanyl.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Coulda been worse. They could've used Fentanyl.

I wish they'd used Propafal.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
play stupid games
win tragic prizes

if he'd been hit from that range with a direct shot from a grenade launcher he'd be drt. i suspect something else got him. he was no further than 10 foot from the barricade assuming he dropped right away. bad choice of where to be
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »
CSD, the current theory is that the initial shot came not from the barrier right there, but from what is approx straight away from the camera.  so 50 yds or so.

So as not to be misconstrued. A CS canister to the face from 50yds  would HURT and likely cause a pretty bad injury.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
I don't agree with why they are protesting, but it's their right.  I think the police were out of line with their tactics here. 

<whine> "But we are the poe-leece!  We had to protect ourselves!" </whine>.  Those M-80s are are dangerous to armored folks, doncha know.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
I have to say I'm disappointed in the "He's part of a political movement I disagree with, therefore he deserves what happened to him" attitude I'm seeing from some.  He was exercising his first amendment rights, wasn't hurting anybody, and what appears to have happened is inexcusable.  Hell, I find his views less objectionable than those of Randy Weaver, Aryan Scumbag (tm), and what happened to him is just as inexcusable.  This guy deserves at least that much benefit of the doubt.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
CSD, the current theory is that the initial shot came not from the barrier right there, but from what is approx straight away from the camera.  so 50 yds or so.

So as not to be misconstrued. A CS canister to the face from 50yds  would HURT and likely cause a pretty bad injury.

gotcha  from 10 foot it woulda damn near ripped his head off. i've seen em punch holes n drywall
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
As an aside, did you notice the reporter on the aireal video say it was tear gas?

AKA Crowd Suppression (CS) gas.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
AKA Crowd Suppression (CS) gas.

2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, discovered by Ben Corson and Roger Stoughton.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, discovered by Ben Corson and Roger Stoughton.

Hrm. Wikipedia agrees with you, so you must be right. I'm not sure where I heard the other explanation from; probably from my Drill Sergeants.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
Oakland PD does have a bit of a rep for being hands on. (remember the BART thing?) 

Minor nitpick: if you're referring to the Oscar Grant incident, that was BART Police, not Oakland P.D.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
No quibbling!   :police:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
Hrm. Wikipedia agrees with you, so you must be right. I'm not sure where I heard the other explanation from; probably from my Drill Sergeants.

There's also CR (dibenzoxazepine) and CN (phenacyl chloride) riot agents, one of which is also issued to military/paramilitary units. "Crowd Suppression" sounds likely to be a backronym. Without looking I would have been tempted to consider the group of them to be "C-agents," C being the designator for non-lethal riot control chemicals, similar to the G and V series of chemical weapon agents. But that train of thought is obstructed by the existence of CK (cyanogen chloride,) a lethal blood agent, and OC (oleoresin capsicum), neither of which conform to such a C-agent nomenclature.

Also, to Fistful, a smoke grenade would properly be called an incendiary device. The smoke is generated by the burning of a fuel/oxidizer/dye mixture and they have been known to cause burn injuries and/or start fires.

Now how's that for pedantic? New APS record maybe?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
*casually tosses a flashbangCSDgrenadewrappedindetcordandbacon into the thread-drift*  :police:

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »

Yea sorry I think we misunderstood each other. I think you though that I was claiming that the CS canister was an explosive device; but I was referring to the device that was thrown into the crowd around Scott after he was injured.

And I though you where saying that the device that goes off @ :36 wasn't an explosive device.

But yea this is a bit confusing. He gets hit in the face with a CS canister @ :21 and then a CS grenade @ :35, which I previously referred to as a flash bang because I didn't know about explosive CS grenades either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLyUK0t0vQ&feature=player_embedded

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
I gotta say, I lurvs me a good cop bashing, but if the cop in question hadn't seen the guy go down, by the time he flipped the grenade in there all *I* could see on the video was a large yelling crowd.  Th folks rendering aid did so with such gusto as to hide the folks kneeling and the injured guy.

Situational awareness and peripheral vision is often severely hindered by pro masks.  I could actually buy that he was watching the other way (where more pyro was going off) and looked over in time to see a large crowd yelling when he had been ordered to disperse crowds so he tossed some CS over.

Must be my inner CSD coming out.

Also, as other's have said, those are NOT flash bangs.

ETA:  $10 says the initial canister skipped.  I've skipped full on grenades by firing them at too low of an angle, the weapon launched canisters are pretty easy to have that happen with.  remember- Less Lethal, not Non Lethal.

Is it not part of a cop's job description to have a clue?  Would I be considered liable and negligent if i did the same thing, even if I were wearing a pro-mask?

Upon further research, it looks like there are combo FB/CS grenades...somewhat like those combo cold/allergy meds.  Why bring up OTC meds?  Well, have you ever bought one of them in the past for 2+ symptoms, gotten better, and then gotten a cold later with only one symptom?  Did you then take the meds, knowing the second drug was superfluous?  Same thing here, except the FB part was the WRONG ANSWER.  I can see FB/CS being just the ticket for a barricaded suspect.  Not for a crowd, though, where straight CS would be a better choice as both more effective (more CS, which is persistent) and less dangerous (FB explosion).  I can see some bean counter log weenie at the PD getting a chubby over buying just one sort of grenade.

So it's okay to huck ordnance without knowing your target or backstop around it, but only if you have a blue uniform?

Looks like.

Shooting a 37/40mm projectile of that mass & velocity at someone is deadly force.  Period.

Are you calling a CS "grenade" an explosive device, or are you talking about something else?

Were I caught with one in flagrante delicto, I bet ATF would charge me with such, so yes.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
Everyone is assuming the police know there is an injured man down.

I've now watched that video multiple times. I would not be able to tell that is a person had I not had multiple voice-overs and circles of the clump of clothes.

Is it not also possible the officer saw a group of people seemingly charging back into an area without any CS gas and thought it best to toss the grenade to clear them without noticing the rather inconspicuous clump on the ground?

Why is malice automatically assumed?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
Everyone is assuming the police know there is an injured man down.

I've now watched that video multiple times. I would not be able to tell that is a person had I not had multiple voice-overs and circles of the clump of clothes.

Is it not also possible the officer saw a group of people seemingly charging back into an area without any CS gas and thought it best to toss the grenade to clear them without noticing the rather inconspicuous clump on the ground?

Why is malice automatically assumed?

Because it is the Oakland PD.  Their track record is not one of non-malice.