Author Topic: Where have all the PI's gone?  (Read 5406 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Where have all the PI's gone?
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »
I've been on a "classic TV" kick lately....recording & watching old TV shows. As I was watching THE ROCKFORD FILES, I got to thinking....you don't see any TV shows where a private eye or other non-LEO is solving crimes. No Jim Rockford, no Thomas Magnum, no Spenser.....even shows like THE MENTALIST & PSYCH have "civilian police consultants" instead of private citizens investigating.

Is this just the way entertainment goes today?....or am I just a little paranoid in thinking that there's a "respect my authority, civilian" vibe in the shows today?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Where have all the PI's gone?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »
Do you have ME (Memorable Entertainment) http://metvnetwork.com/programs.php on your cable lineup?  Rockford, Cannon, and more.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Huh. Interesting point, especially since I'm rewatching Magnum, PI on Netflix. =D

I think the fascination with forensics and criminal psych/profiling (CSI/Law&Order/Criminal Minds, et al.) has largely squeezed private "actors" out of that market segment. Unless they're part of a super-secret, well-financed club, no PI is going to have the resources, and thus the glamor, to do all the sexy stuff the LEA-based shows can do. Hollywood makes the fiction shows they do because they are profitable. Social enginering on the side would be gravy, but I'm not sure it's the prime motivation.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
I've wondered that, too, and I think it has to do with the leftist mind-set of the industry. They don't think of non-LEOs solving crimes, using guns legally, etc. Not ordinary folks, anyway. Maybe masked superheroes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
Do you have ME (Memorable Entertainment) http://metvnetwork.com/programs.php on your cable lineup?  Rockford, Cannon, and more.

I'm on DirecTV satellite, so I'll have to check. I'd love to see CANNON again...  :cool:

Right now, I get ROCKFORD on a station out of Dallas....DirecTV seems to think that, since I live an hour east of Waco & 90 minutes SE of Tyler, my local stations are in Dallas (@ 2 hours from me)....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
You must be a police officer or a federal agent to have a gun (they are the only ones professional enough.)  Mere mortals would likely shoot ourselves by accident -- in a schoolroom full of kids.   [ar15]

There's Dog the Bounty Hunter (is that show still on?), but that's OK because he's an ex-con and can't carry a gun.
"It's good, though..."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
That is interesting. Maybe it's because they don't have labs that perform miracles.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
There's Doosh the Bounty Hunter (is that show still on?), but that's OK because he's an ex-con and can't carry a gun.

FTFY =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
Television goes in cycles. All the networks tend to follow each other. I'm old enough to have lived through the cowboy/western cycle, the private eye cycle, the sci-fi cycle (Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, etc.), ...

And so it goes. So now we're in the CSI cycle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »
I've been enjoying "The Finder".  He don't need no fancy-shmancy lab.  He rigs up his own experimental contraptions out of stuff that makes it look like something by Rube Goldberg.  He does have his official law-enforcement friend with benefits that comes in handy for certain needs.  But overall he's not tied to a law enforcement unit.

You have to stretch your tolerance for reality a bit, but that's part of the fun with this show.  I like the writing, so I'm pretty sure it'll be cancelled soon.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 03:18:32 AM »
I think fistful nailed it with the lefty libcom slant towards police, military, and bad guys being the only ones who are supposed to have guns.

And there's Peter Gunn, which is on the Antenna Channel around here... "Antenna TV," get it?

Kind of a sophisticated tough guy who likes jazz.

There are others on Antenna TV which  I can't recall right now, but they're running promos which essentially point out that those classical PIs didn't need cell phones or computers and whatnot to solve crimes.

I never cared much for Cannon, though.

There's lots of those oldies on Antenna TV.  Two have become my favorites, Combat! and Twelve O'Clock High.  Amazing authenticity in the equipment and arms and whatnot in both those shows.

They must be doing OK, because their advertising has gone from mostly little local places to more big-time "mainstream" products over the last year or so.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:27:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 06:01:34 AM »
Can we re-make Murder She Wrote into Murder she Did? I'd sign up for pay per view to watch Angela Lansbury bump off the Jersey Shore crew one at a time. Season 2, maybe the bouty hunters and repo people. 

Reality TV, death of western civilization. And I, blame James T. Kirk, since Rescue 911 was, I think, the first reality type TV show.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
A while ago I checked into what it takes to become a PI in this here wonderful state of MN. Jim Rockford could never get a license here. Magnum might, but that's because he's buddies with a super-rich guy who might grease a few palms.

OTH, Jim could get a carry permit for that .38.

Seriously, the way the laws are here, it's pretty much an ex-cop club.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
Seriously, the way the laws are here, it's pretty much an ex-cop club.

Same in Texas....though I wonder where the line is drawn b/t "private investigator" and "professional research consultant"..... ;)

DD: I liked THE FINDER too....unfortunately, FOX just pulled a FIREFLY on it....no good shows are allowed on that network, I guess....  :facepalm:

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Around here PI work requires large sums of money to purchase toys with and preferably a bach degree in criminal justice or the like on top of x months experience.

There's actually a listing through the local career center for a PI right now. Not as glam as a tv show.

Job Criteria
Min Experience    12 months
Min Education    Bachelors Degree
Type    Temp PT
Location    [AUGUSTA, ME]; [GARDINER, ME]; [BANGOR, ME]; [MILLINOCKET, ME]; [PRESQUE ISLE, ME]; [FARMINGTON, ME]
Shift    Day, Evening, Night, Weekends
Pay Range    $14.00per hour to $20.00per hour
Benefits    Not Disclosed
Travel required    Yes
Flexible Schedule required
Drivers license required    Class C - Regular Automobile
Must have a Valid Driver's License
Endorsements required    Not important/Not applicable
Occupational licenses recommended    ME PI License
Certificates recommended    Not important/Not applicable
Job Description ISG is a national investigative and medical management services firm specializing in cost containment and anti-fraud related services. We are currently seeking individuals for part time surveillance and field investigative positions. The ideal candidate must have a strong work ethic, be self motivated, have good problem solving skills and be team oriented. Candidate must be able to work independently, have strong time management skills, flexibility to travel and must have strong communication skills. Flexible hours are a must, to include: weekday, weekend, and evening hours. Criminal Justice Degree preferred, but not required. Candidates must have the following: ME PI License. Experience in Worker's Compensation surveillance. A reliable vehicle. A cell phone; to be in contact with a case manager while on surveillance. A hard-drive camera and pinnacle software with the ability to upload video with the date and time stamp to our server. Be proficient using Word and ability to write detailed reports. Cases will be assigned on a Per Diem basis. EOE

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
Sounds like an exciting job: trying to catch some guy walking without his crutches  ;/

ETA: I know a lady who is a retired homicide detective, who now lives out in the backwoods of Montana, and who occasionally travels to do cold case investigation.  I could see how that could be a premise for a good TV show  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Sounds like an exciting job: trying to catch some guy walking without his crutches  ;/

ETA: I know a lady who is a retired homicide detective, who now lives out in the backwoods of Montana, and who occasionally travels to do cold case investigation.  I could see how that could be a premise for a good TV show  =)

Until they ruin it by getting all preachy.
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »

Already done.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayle_Hinman

Good show.....

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »

Bingo!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »
Can we re-make Murder She Wrote into Murder she Did? I'd sign up for pay per view to watch Angela Lansbury bump off the Jersey Shore crew one at a time. Season 2, maybe the bouty hunters and repo people. 

Reality TV, death of western civilization. And I, blame James T. Kirk, since Rescue 911 was, I think, the first reality type TV show.

Me, too.  She was a splendiferous evil woman in the Manchurian Candidate.  Just imagine AL playing a hitman.  Nobody suspects the little old lady...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »

DD: I liked THE FINDER too....unfortunately, FOX just pulled a FIREFLY on it....no good shows are allowed on that network, I guess....  :facepalm:

:'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »

Well, if you knew this little old southern gal ex-cop ...   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »

What!?!  No mention of Dragnet, which was preceeded on the tube by Highway Patrol.  Or Dragnet's spawn, Adam-12?  Or Sea Hunt?  And I'm sure I have missed some others.

But yes, Rescue 911 was a great show to watch, especially after toiling in the fields of reality all day.  Come home, kick back, and watch Roy and Johnny resolve at least two crises in 27 minutes (not counting commercials).

And speaking of Dragnet - why, just before the end of the 1967 season, was the ending changed from "Trial was held in Department xx of the Y Court of California in and for the County of Los Angeles" to just "for the County of Los Angeles"?  When they did that I started thinking they could have tried the case anywhere so long as it was "for" the County of Los Angeles.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
"Mannix"?
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
"Mannix"?

I always liked that one  =)