Author Topic: 9/11....Why?  (Read 5649 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
9/11....Why?
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
Is it just me?....or does "remembering" 9/11 tomorrow seem like a big waste of time?....esp. considering that we're now planning to fight on the same side as the group that attacked us.....

....maybe I'll just remember Fall of the American Republic Day instead....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: 9/11....Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
It's my mom's birthday.  Not 9/11.

I don't need a Statist jingoist victim celebration day that acts as an excuse to allow people who failed at their jobs initially to have even more control and intrusion into my daily life.

What are you guys doing for my mom's birthday tomorrow?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
Is it just me?....or does "remembering" 9/11 tomorrow seem like a big waste of time?....esp. considering that we're now planning to fight on the same side as the group that attacked us.....

I want no more "Remembering" holidays.  I want "Avenging" holidays.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
I'm going the remember the Battle of Stirling Bridge  ;)

Saorsa!   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »

pour encourager les autres
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
I had no idea it was tomorrow until I saw this thread.  /shrug/

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Once a year we remember Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents, whoever they are that used to be called Secretaries, Pickles, Sock Monkeys, the Flag, folks who are Veterans, Veterans who Died in/from combat.  Why should we not take one day a year to remember 9/11?

Of course, if Roo_ster had his way, "Remember 9/11" would be more like "Remember the Alamo", Remember the Maine", and "Remember Pearl Harbor" than an occassion for buying sheets and automobiles.

The problem with "Remember 9/11" is that it will be filled with platitudes and have almost no effect on making is better citizens, let alone better people.  It will also, I am afraid, perpetuate the practice of turning certain categories of ordinary folks going about their jobs into heroes.  Where are the cheers for the Sanitation District workers who picked up and hauled away the rubble?  Where is the adulation for all of the air traffic controllers who grounded flights across the country to prevent even more attrocities?  Why do we not celebrate the very small number of folks at flight training schools who expressed concern over students who did not seem worried about getting a passing grade on landings?

In the early days after 9/11 some folks stepped up and Did Something because they thought it Might Help - like giving up an NFL career to join the Army.  Unfortunately, it's like the folks who hear about a disaster somewhere and their first instinct is to head out and donate blood.  I never did understand how donating blood helped the folks in South and South East Asia who were flooded by monsoon rains, but according to a contact at the local blood service every year when the stories of monsoo flooding show up on the TV they get folks coming in to donate to help the victims.

If you want to "Remeber 9/11" how about going out and doing something to show those radical fundamentalists that not only have they not destroyed our "way of life" but that there is no way they can ever do so.  I'm not sure just how, but things like kicking a PC apologist in the shins, or cutting in line ahead of a welfare leech with an EBT card might be a start.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
It's my mom's birthday.  Not 9/11.

I don't need a Statist jingoist victim celebration day that acts as an excuse to allow people who failed at their jobs initially to have even more control and intrusion into my daily life.

What are you guys doing for my mom's birthday tomorrow?

If there will be cake involved, then I'm celebrating your mom's birthday....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

A bunch of folks whose only unifying characteristic was that they went to work in New York were killed because they...went to work in New York. (Or the Pentagon, or boarded a plane.)

The ideology which inspired the event still exists, along with the capacity for repetition/variation of the theme.

If that isn't worthy of remembrance, if only for purposes of vigilance and prevention, what is?

I may not wallow in melancholy, but I won't forget.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm pretty tired of the hoopla surrounding 9/11.

I spent a particularly long and gruesome stint in the building, digging my comrades out, and for what?

To watch as it is used for further and further erosion of our rights? To watch as it is used to drum up false patriotism, or to organize marches and counter marches?

Fair weather patriots and shills for a government gone wrong.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/wisconsin-golf-course-apologizes-for-911-rate-on-911-anniversary-b9994783z1-223120321.html

I guess the very notion of a $5 bill, four $1 bills, a dime and a penny is just offensive?

Jingoism at its worst, on all sides of this issue.  The net result is a business that is now intimidated into not even being open.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

I'm supposed to feel something, go with the flow and get behind whoever the current dear leader is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
I know this shouldn't be funny, but they say morbid humor is an effective coping technique.

Given the amount of time i spent in the pentagon cleaning it all up, I claim "i was there" privilege.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
I think it should be a holiday dedicated to *expletive deleted*ing up the enemy's *expletive deleted*it. I don't care which enemy...
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »
I know this shouldn't be funny, but they say morbid humor is an effective coping technique.

Given the amount of time i spent in the pentagon cleaning it all up, I claim "i was there" privilege.

Oh jeez, i feel like a TERRIBLE person now...

Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Levant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Any celebration of the attack on the World Trade Center (that just happened to happen on September 11) is a celebration of a bunch of muslims who killed 3000 Americans.  Any memorial is a memorial to Bin Laden.

Besides my general distaste for the world of memorials that we've become, I especially dislike celebrations or memorials of that attack.  We should have simply built a new and better building and moved on.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:21 AM »
I quietly remember 9/11 on that day.

Quietly remember that dark day when it was brought home to all of America that we are locked in a war between good and evil. A war that was able to be ignored by most until that fateful day. Nobody remembers the '93 WTC bombing. Or the Cole bombing. Or the Beruit barracks bombing. Or the Battle of Mogadishu. Or Pan Am Flight 103. But everybody damn well knows about 9/11/2001.

And then I think about OBL on 5.2.11 when a SEAL's bullet sent him to hell. And I smile when thinking about that.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:19 AM »

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1238917_4724392128259_1121006355_n.jpg

Subway is da bomb. :(
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
I'm a pretty reluctant patriot, but I still remember. I don't know anyone who died on 9/11 but I still feel it. I was at work, we put all of our routine maintenance helos back together and were flying senior staff to and from the pentagon by 1pm, or as soon as someone figured out how to make the IFF boxes work so we wouldn't get smoked by the air farce. I knew then it was the start of a war we hadn't seen before. Maybe not the start, I was on watch when the African embassies got bombed and that tightened things up a little. But this was different. I just remember anger, my neck hurting because my teeth had been clenched 12 hours and I didn't know it. Stuck on shore duty, my former command buddies underway early a few weeks later to do 150 straight days at sea enabling the crap getting bombed out of some people who really needed it.

I'm not quite as ready as some of you to jump on the post-American everything sucks bandwagon. I know pretty much every f'd up thing this country has ever done and it's still the best thing going. Hopefully we'll find a way to un-f the gubbmint part of us and get back to a better place.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
9/11/2001 has been avenged.

9/11/2012 remains not only unavenged but largely unacknowledged, lost in a contortion of politics and PC-speak. It sickens me.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
We should have simply built a new and better building and moved on.

I was thinking four buildings:  three all about the same height, and one in the middle about twice as tall.   >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
I think it should be a holiday dedicated to *expletive deleted* up the enemy's *expletive deleted*. I don't care which enemy...

This.

Let evil men tremble, lest they catch our eye on 9-11.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
9/11/2001 has been avenged.

9/11/2012 remains not only unavenged but largely unacknowledged, lost in a contortion of politics and PC-speak. It sickens me.

^^^ This....and 11/05/09 (Ft. Hood Terrorist Attack)....

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
I think it's good to spend a little time remembering, let it refresh the anger a bit so we stand stronger against the stripping of our liberties that began that day.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »
Any celebration of the attack on the World Trade Center (that just happened to happen on September 11) is a celebration of a bunch of muslims who killed 3000 Americans.  Any memorial is a memorial to Bin Laden.

Besides my general distaste for the world of memorials that we've become, I especially dislike celebrations or memorials of that attack.  We should have simply built a new and better building and moved on.
Ding ding ding.
This is what I have always felt about it.

Do the Germans celebrate dday? Think about it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods