Author Topic: The "Getting Old" Sound  (Read 3101 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The "Getting Old" Sound
« on: December 25, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
We have several generations here today, and got to talking about getting old and hearing and that "mosquito sound" all the kids use. We found this Youtube video with sounds people are able to here in their 20's through 50's and over. After the oilfields, shooting, and airplanes, I was totally shocked that I could pick up the 12khz "under 50" sound at 54. Some of the younger folks were kind of perturbed that they could no longer hear the "under 30" sound. That's me spreading Christmas joy.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhRmv1mrs4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lee

• friend
Re: The "Getting Old" Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
I'm not sure I'm hearing what I am supposed to be hearing, but I hear all them to a degree. I'm in my fifties.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
I could hear the 12Khz but not the other 2. I'm 51-ish.

The one small consolation I have when I hear young idjits playing their "music" at a stupid volume is the knowledge that they will likely be deaf as a post when they get my age.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »
I couldn't hear a thing, other than the constant tinnitus that is my buddy!!!  =(

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Apparently your computer audio and speakers can affect the test. At least this one, which doesn't look to be too scientific. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
I must be over 14.

Doesn't mean that I act or think that way  =D

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
I heard the 8Hz tone that said my computer was working.  Other than that, all I could hear were the "pops" between where I guess the tones were.

Well, that and the tinnitus.

And yet those young whippersnappers today call music does annoy the bejabbers out of me.  Strange, considering I can't hear it, no?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
I could hear the 12 hz. Surprising, considering that most of the little bone that conducts sound in my left ear is gone.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Not a great audio system, did not hear any of them.

Tell you what, though....

One day I discovered I couldn't hear the little beep when I used the diode checker on a DMM.  

Like: "Holy crap!  These diodes can't all be bad!"

I had to recover the three I'd already thrown in the trash and re-check them with the ohms scale.

Same thing with the continuity checker beepy thingy.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:57:26 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
Apparently your computer audio and speakers can affect the test. At least this one, which doesn't look to be too scientific. :)

To hear anything other than the opening and closing clicks, I had to turn the volume on my computer all the way up, and THEN manually crank up the volume on my speakers. Once I did that, I could hear all except the "under 24" sound.

I'm nearly 70.

Here's one that's a little better, but it still doesn't provide any system calibration prior to doing the test, and I had to crank my speakers way up manually to even hear the 8 MHz reference tone.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:51:49 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
Couldn't hear anything above the 15hz in either test. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
Couldn't hear anything above the 15hz in either test. 

Do you mean "below?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
I heard all but the last one, so I can't figure out why my hearing is so bad in real life.   =|

Maybe other people really don't talk clearly anymore  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
From the thread title I thought you were referring to those noises I make more and more frequently the older I get.  You know, those "old man" noises; groaning, popping, grunting . . . and that's just while getting off the couch!   :O
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
From the thread title I thought you were referring to those noises I make more and more frequently the older I get.  You know, those "old man" noises; groaning, popping, grunting . . . and that's just while getting off  on the couch!   :O

Any change of direction is accompanied by a symphony of sounds that the human body probably should never make.  Attempting to overcomer gravity is even moreso.

If I had known I was going to live this long I would have started hoarding painkillers a lot sooner.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »
36 and I couldn't hear anything above 12.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
36 and I couldn't hear anything above 12.

me too

54   high mileage
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:00:21 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
72 and I couldn't hear anything above 12 — except for the tinnitus, which always comes in clear  =D.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
54   high mileage

:laugh:

Sometimes that's how I feel.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
Turning 54 in two weeks, ridden hard and put away wet.

Although this test did not work for me: I have had a bilateral hearing loss since birth, especially in the higher frequencies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Turning 54 in two weeks, ridden hard and put away wet.

I just turned last week. For some reason, this is the first year I've actually started considering myself "old(er)". Maybe because 2014 is the year I turn 55 and no longer have a penalty for 401K withdrawls.  :laugh:

Though I was considering some sort of retribution when AARP started sending me propaganda at 50.  :mad:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
All you fifty-something youngsters  :P

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
power tools took my hearing more than things that go bang
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
power tools took my hearing more than things that go bang

Stihl 045 and D-2 Cat diesel.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
Stihl 045 and D-2 Cat diesel.

Lots of .50 cal, C4, MCLIC's, and other exceptionally loud Army stuff with just crappy ear plugs (if even those).