Author Topic: The world continues to get weirder  (Read 2024 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: The world continues to get weirder
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
POCATELLO — Police fatally shot a 1,000-pound cow Friday afternoon that had led them on a lengthy chase through the city’s north side.
The heifer eventually died after being shot by a Pocatello police officer in the backyard of a residence at Henderson and Jessie Clark lanes around 1:30 p.m.
After the cow died, Anderson employees loaded it onto a truck and took it back to the meat processing business.

Note the time of day and the fact that the beast cannot be sold for food.  There is a huge part of me that is thinking the Pocatello PD is going to host a steak night.  (At the end of weeks when we did not totally screw up/cause lengthy reports to be generated explaining why it really was not our fault that X was now broken/happened/caused civillians to call the base complaining about ___, the First Sergeant would haul out the charcoal and grills made from half a 55-gallon drum and throw on what was probably cutter&canner grade (alleged) beef, plus a pallet of truely skunked Blatz beer.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
Marchand said he’s very thankful the pursuit ended with no injuries to people
So when the cow was in a back yard, did they consider just showing up with a bag of feed or hay?  Or maybe just fencing it in?  I guess the picture didn't show any fence the cow couldn't jump over.

I was just surprised they shot the cow.  But someone in the comments did point out the cops were white and the cow was black.   :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »
So when the cow was in a back yard, did they consider just showing up with a bag of feed or hay?  Or maybe just fencing it in?  I guess the picture didn't show any fence the cow couldn't jump over.

Ever wrestled with a cow?  Handcuffs don't fit them right.

Since the cow had already been convicted of being made of beef, and sentenced to die, there wasn't really any pressing reason to keep it alive and deal with the added risks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
If they can't use it for food, the lost some value.  Given that police already shot it, keeping it alive probably wasn't a big priority.  I guess a lot of cows wouldn't be very calm running down a street filled with cars and people and noise in general. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »
If they can't use it for food, the lost some value.

Given that the local "used cow dealer" does a thriving business in corpses, I'm guessing there is still some amount of profit to be made off a not-fit-for-human-consumption carcass.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
What makes you think that one was unfit? Because it got shot off site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
That is what I heard someone say.  I am sure it could go to dog food and such if not human food.  And yes, the leather and other items are still worth something. 

I guess I am just surprised they couldn't corral it and capture it.  Did the cops try to taser it?  That would be interesting.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
I guess I am just surprised they couldn't corral it and capture it.  Did the cops try to taser it?  That would be interesting.

It had already jumped one big fence to start the chase.  The comments about trying food and a lead rope are amusing; clearly a lot of people have no concept of how big and strong a cow is, nor have they ever tried to lure a panicked animal with food.  At best, it would have taken a few more hours for the cow to calm down enough to have any interest in a snack, and even then she's not likely to let anyone get a lead rope on her, much less cooperate if they did get it on.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
What makes you think that one was unfit? Because it got shot off site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Packing plants can't use pre-dead carcasses. The kill has to be made on-site and under their control. It's a food safety thing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB