Author Topic: Hammocks!  (Read 5109 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hammocks!
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
I have rediscovered the pleasures of the hammock. The last time I used one was one of those "fishnet" backpacking hammocks from the 80s, which I don't recall being all that comfortable.

Amazon had a lightning deal on the one below for 25 clams, so I said what the heck. Probably not as good as some of the others out there, but I didn't want to spend a ton on a lark. It turns out to be a pretty darn nice (and super comfortable!) hammock.

When it came yesterday, I went to set it up. I've got a nice big shade tree on one end, but not much else for the other end to tie to. Yesterday I figured I'd tie the other end off to a pole for the washline. Bad idea. It hand rained hard the day before, and the ground was soaked. In spite of the pole being set in concrete, when I went to lay in the hammock, the muddy ground around the pole gave way, the pole with cement foot just leaned right over, and I was on the ground.  :laugh:

I then, being in a hurry to try it out, tied the second end off to my 4-wheeler. Because of the low height, I had to stretch it taut (which I have since learned you don''t do). It worked, albeit my ass was only an inch from the ground.

Today I found a big ass eyebolt, drilled a hole in the frame of the closest outbuilding to the shade tree, and now I'm sitting (laying) pretty. In fact I'm typing this post from it. I wish I would have had it for the Summer. It''s a balmy 57 right now. I am imagining laying in it in the Summer, beer in hand. :)

I can see how hammock camping has gotten so popular recently (I think mtnbkr does it?). This is one of the parachute cloth lightweight hammocks just for that. A lot of the places I go don't have enough trees available to hammock camp, but now I'd kinda like to go to a place where I can try it out. Way more comfortable than sleeping on even a good backpacking pad on the ground, and I have seen some slick setups with hammocks and lightweight tarps as rainflys instead of tents.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of trying one of these, for only 25 bucks, this one is a great deal and well made. I've been seeing this one and others almost every day as lightning deals for the last few weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Outfitters-MG-10502g-Parachute-Hammock/dp/B00I2XLEL6/ref=lp_9854485011_1_1?srs=9854485011&ie=UTF8&qid=1446680422&sr=8-1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Hammocks!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:23:07 AM »
I've been getting into more hiking and will probably get around to camping. Hammock camping seems to have gotten very popular, and certainly appealing.

If you're inclined to youtube, check out Sintax77 and Shugemery

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:32:26 AM »
I can see how hammock camping has gotten so popular recently (I think mtnbkr does it?).

From my bowhunting camp:

Didn't get nuttin, but I slept well. :)

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
Half of my new property is still forested.  I bought a hammock and tree straps from Amazon last month, and I am eagerly awaiting trying it out this coming spring.  I have these visions of snoozing under the cedar/Doug Fir tree canopy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
I just can't sleep in one of those.  I am a side sleeper, and I toss and turn all night due to arthritis pain.   I use a 6 man Eureka Timberline tent, a Cabelas cot and 3 inch thick foam mattress.   :)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »
If you get something with a roof, make sure it is peaked.  Even dew can aggregate into a prodigious amount.

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Style-Jungle-Hammock-Shelter-with-Misquito-Netting-OD-/121431538474

Not this http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=43715

Over the years I have come to notice that there are two major flaws with hammocks: they are used in places without air conditioning and they do not have reliable room service.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »
From my bowhunting camp:
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g405/allencb/P1010986_zpskhjkeovv.jp

Didn't get nuttin, but I slept well. :)

Chris

That's what I'm talking about!

Mine is designated a two person hammock, which I find hard to believe even if you're cozy, especially if one of the two is me. I first thought the extra fabric along the sides because of that would be a negative, but then got to thinking about it. There's enough fabric there that I'm able to pull both sides up and over me with material to spare. Just draped over me, it was holding heat in. If I tape a couple of velcro tabs to the edges, I could close it up into a makeshift bivy if weather gets cold, so now that extra fabric is a plus. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Take note:

Yukon Outfitters hammocks on Woot! today, from $20 - $25.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
Take note:

Damn you...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »
Take note:

Including a rain fly. That's tempting.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »
Well, according to woot I'll have a hammock by next friday  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
Man, I have to remember to start checking out Woot! more often instead of defaulting to Amazon. Looks like my hammock is $5 cheaper with this sale than the lightning deal I got, and the Rainfly they're advertising for $20 is being sold on Amazon for $40.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
I have the rainfly (shown in the pic above).  It's a good one.  The lines are crap, but the fly itself is nice and about the right size for non-hurricane weather.  It rained the first afternoon we were set up and my stuff stayed dry.

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
I just can't sleep in one of those.  I am a side sleeper, and I toss and turn all night due to arthritis pain.   I use a 6 man Eureka Timberline tent, a Cabelas cot and 3 inch thick foam mattress.   :)

I like the way you think. We have a Columbia 2 room 8+ person tent. A couple of large cots topped with a queen size air mattress and a cooler on the side for a night stand. We have managed to turn it into a 2 person tent, but we are comfortable. ;)

It's about the only camping my wife will do, other than trailer. Oh well, happy wife.....

bob

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
I have the rainfly (shown in the pic above).  It's a good one.  The lines are crap, but the fly itself is nice and about the right size for non-hurricane weather.  It rained the first afternoon we were set up and my stuff stayed dry.

Chris

For twenty ducats, I went ahead and ordered it.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
Having been one of two campers to stay dry in a flood, (I knew where to set up my tent before rain was even in the forecast.) I respect the other guy's hammock camp and its ability to be set up in a more convenient spot without the issues everybody else there had.  I'll probably grab a good hammock before my next backpacking trip.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »
Keep an eye on Woot. They occasionally have various flavor of hammocks, from "urban lawn lizard" style to "packing light mountain man" style.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
Keep an eye on Woot. They occasionally have various flavor of hammocks, from "urban lawn lizard" style to "packing light mountain man" style.

This particular one is a Woot item being sold on Amazon. When the Woot sale listed above came up, I had at first thought I paid too much on Amazon ($25 Lightning Deal) as it was $20 on Woot. However Woot charges $5 shipping, so it's a wash if you have Prime.

Though the hammock fly I just bought from that Woot sale was way cheaper than Amazon (but I'm still waiting for delivery - argh).

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
Though the hammock fly I just bought from that Woot sale was way cheaper than Amazon (but I'm still waiting for delivery - argh).

Mine just told me it shipped. Probably next week, I'd say.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »
I'd really like to like a hammock, but it puts pressure on my heels, trying to bend my knees the wrong way.  No bueno, at all.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Hammocks!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
Mine just told me it shipped. Probably next week, I'd say.
Nope, that was something else.  Rainfly was on my doorstep this afternoon.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Re: Hammocks!
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
Nope, that was something else.  Rainfly was on my doorstep this afternoon.

Bastard!  :laugh:

Actually I can't blame Woot for the shipping delay on mine. It looks like Fedex Smartpost had it sitting in Colorado for three days. Looks like I should have it by Monday.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
Mine came in the other day. No suspension included, so keep that in mind when factoring the price. Tarp is still in the mail.

All in all the hammock itself appears reasonably solid. I'm considering it an introduction/lounging/cheap start to upgrade later if I like it thing.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.